How do u get yellow out of flaxen tails

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maranatha minis

Reaction score
How do I get the urine stain out of my mares flaxen tail? I have tried shampoo but it isn't working to well. Do I die it light blond? Help I leave for a show at 5 am tomorrow!!!

Thanks!

Try using some laundry soap, rinse well then use a horse shampoo that has bluing in it. And yep , it will have a blue color to it, Quick Silver is one brand that can be use.

I would also liek to know I have a Dapple Gray mare photoshoot on saturday she has her bottom tail yelowish stained to her tail is cream though not flaxen ahah help!

Denture cleaner!!

It's a bit of a pain sitting holding it in to soak- if you have a horse that will let you put a polythene bag on it's tail and tie it up that will work- and it really does clean it up a treat.

Denture cleaner!!

It's a bit of a pain sitting holding it in to soak- if you have a horse that will let you put a polythene bag on it's tail and tie it up that will work- and it really does clean it up a treat.

hey how much and where do I buy it ahaha liek how muhc do yu put wiht water its tablets right??

We had problem a few years ago when we had a birthday party appearance and had put gold glitter on our geldings white mane - it turned yellow and would not wash out - hair dye turned it even more yellow. A trainer told us about a horse product that is a spray that is white and is legal because it is only correcting back to original color. It is temporary and doesn't hurt the hair. I don't recall the name of it but the folks selling tack know what it is.

I showed a Palomino miniature mare for years and this worked, someone that I showed big horses with told me about this. I normally don't tell people all my secrets

Buy Vivid, this is a stain detergent that you can buy at the grocery, it comes in a yellow bottle with a blue top. It doesn't sell in some areas. This laundry soap is kind of clear with a blue tint, it can be used on the body too and it makes colors on the body brighter and whites whiter,
default_yes.gif
: not a joke. Wash the horse's body/tail with Vivid - let sit for just a few minutes (not long) and then rinse - do not apply conditioner.

Second buy Ultra White Minx Rinse, made by Fanci-full (I believe). It will be a Wal-Mart in the hair color aisle - make sure it is Ultra White Mink and White Mink turns the white blue. After washing, and while still damp, saturate the tail and/or mane with the rinse. Leave in - DONNOT RINSE OUT. You can do this on the mane and forelock (you don't have to braid it - braiding and covering protects the tail from urine stains) Braid the tail, put up, and wrap vet wrap around it. The tail will be whiter, after drying, after the first time. For best results repeat at least weekly to reach desired effects and then do before every show or event.

Never use colored or tinted conditioner on a horses white/flaxen mane or tail - this could stain or cause a yellow, pink, blue, etc. cast - only use clear or white. I don't use bluing shampoo - Vivid works, hands down, 100% better and it is cheaper!

Just so that you know that it works and isn't harmful, I use it on Silent Investor, the horse pictured in my avatar! :bgrin

E-mail me if you have any questions.

How fast can you get to Wal-Mart? :saludando:

Natalie

My notes say two other forum members have reported good results with:

Ivory Dish Liquid...and elbow grease

Greased Lightening & Dawn Dish Liquid.

OK, we all know it takes the "elbow grease" :bgrin .... but, some depends on what is in the stain and how long it has been there. IMO most of us have tried just about everything, at one time or another. It is still one of the "mysteries of getting a horse clean" :lol:

Plus, sometimes the products we use can actually set a stain -- so, something may work well on one and not another, ya know?
default_yes.gif
: Think that may be why the drafts often have had their tails bobbed?
default_wub.png
:

PS -- sorry I didn't not WHO said these things worked.

We actually had the same problem with my sisters Overo mare and ended up using liquid Oxy Clean and it really worked! We let her tail soak in it for about 10 minutes then rinsed it out and shampooed and conditioned the heck out of it. It took about 2 weeks for the full effect to show, but it did really help the first time we did it.

Before:

ef62fab9.jpg

And after... ( this is about 2 weeks after the initial application)

eded5e0b.jpg

Hope this helps and best of luck at your show!

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Has anyone tried Eye Envy Tear Stain Remover (yep, the same stuff they use for the doggy eye stains)? Safe, yet effective! Of course, if it's a seriously dark stain like Suzy just showed, it may take a few more times using it....hope you win the battle before sun-up! :new_shocked:

pelli

No matter what you use to get their tails white, all the yellow will not come out with one washing. I have had very good luck using QuickSilver shampoo and using it often on the tail. I do not leave it on like it says for more than a couple of minutes, it will leave a tail purple. Trust me.
default_wink.png
: Usually after several washings and using Show Sheen, it does eventually all come out.

f887b89f.jpg

ef08444f.jpg

I showed a Palomino miniature mare for years and this worked, someone that I showed big horses with told me about this. I normally don't tell people all my secrets

Buy Vivid, this is a stain detergent that you can buy at the grocery, it comes in a yellow bottle with a blue top. It doesn't sell in some areas. This laundry soap is kind of clear with a blue tint, it can be used on the body too and it makes colors on the body brighter and whites whiter,
default_yes.gif
: not a joke. Wash the horse's body/tail with Vivid - let sit for just a few minutes (not long) and then rinse - do not apply conditioner.

Second buy Ultra White Minx Rinse, made by Fanci-full (I believe). It will be a Wal-Mart in the hair color aisle - make sure it is Ultra White Mink and White Mink turns the white blue. After washing, and while still damp, saturate the tail and/or mane with the rinse. Leave in - DONNOT RINSE OUT. You can do this on the mane and forelock (you don't have to braid it - braiding and covering protects the tail from urine stains) Braid the tail, put up, and wrap vet wrap around it. The tail will be whiter, after drying, after the first time. For best results repeat at least weekly to reach desired effects and then do before every show or event.

Never use colored or tinted conditioner on a horses white/flaxen mane or tail - this could stain or cause a yellow, pink, blue, etc. cast - only use clear or white. I don't use bluing shampoo - Vivid works, hands down, 100% better and it is cheaper!

Just so that you know that it works and isn't harmful, I use it on Silent Investor, the horse pictured in my avatar! :bgrin

E-mail me if you have any questions.

How fast can you get to Wal-Mart? :saludando:

Natalie

nostalgia did you say that white minx turned the tail blue we can only find white minx no ultra white please let me knoe we are willing to try what we need to get the tail white thanks

connie flying j farm

Yes, Connie, White Minx makes the tail have a bluish purple hue. Check with some other stores for Ultra White Minx.

Good luck,

Natalie

I've had success with greased lightening and dawn dish detergent. I have a tobiano mare with a white tail that unless I keep it up gets that yucky color at the bottom. It also helps if I keep her tail trimmed to just above ground level.

Karen

Latest posts

Back