How are horse sales at your end of the WORLD?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a buyer's (who is currently searching for just the right Amateur-level show horse) point of view, I am seeing a lot of "junk". I am also seeing a few decent, just decent, quality Amateur-level horses that are priced way too high, in my opinion, they are priced like competitive Open horses. I am well established in and very familiar with several "big" horse breeds and I feel confident that I have their markets figured out for the most part, but I haven't figured out the Miniature Horse market yet.
default_wacko.png
Maybe I am seeing a lot of ads for horses that their owners really don't want to sell? However, if that is the case and they have other horses for sale, it doesn't do anything for me. If you want to keep it, keep it, don't advertise it for way more than it's worth because you would sell it if you got that, but you'd really like to keep it. I think it makes a (not good) statement about your breeding program and makes you look not so smart.
I'm sorry, I'm a little confused... what is an Amateur-level quality show horse? I don't know about your area... but in areas I show in, including Nat'ls and World... Amateurs many times have trainers showing their horses in the open classes and then they walk into the amateur class with that open horse. Or some amateurs, such as myself, will also show in the open classes. The horse must be a competitive quality to win or place regardless. : ) But I do agree, there are a lot of lesser quality horses for sale out there.... and cheap too. LOL

Sales in the NW are slow as well. But I'm with the other small breeders that refuse to sell their horses for $500 or less... I do offer huge incentives for show homes however. Buyers looking for show prospects have two options.... take a chance on a so called young 'show prospect' or purchase a proven winner and know that you won't be wasting your money. Buying a proven winner means the horse has had training, exposure to the show ring and environment, trailering, grooming etc. saving the purchaser most likely hundreds of hours and money and heartache.... so if you pay a little more for the purchase price, trust me, you're still saving!

Those areas that say sales are good.... I'm curious at what prices you are selling them at. If its under $1,000, I'd say that's pretty much in line due to decreased sales pricing, not a necessarily a good market. I'm sure if I put the horses I have for sale priced at $500 they'd sell rather swiftly. Geez... I spend over $600 every two months just in a couple tons of good hay!

The breeders that are probably struggling are us smaller, not as well known breeders. We have quality horses that we have put a lot of time, money and effort into and to sell them for $500 or so... just won't cut it. Then if you don't breed because of no room or a bad market, people tend to forget you or figure you have nothing to offer anyway. They'd rather go to those big private farm auctions and pick from 100 horses or more. But honestly... that doesn't mean you are getting the better horse... most likely... you're getting lesser quality for cheaper in many cases. Otherwise... those big farms wouldn't be having 2 or 3 of those auctions every year... do you really think they put out their best to be sold for $150? I'm not trying to offend anyone or degrade their horses... just trying to offer another perspective to horse buyers.

My hopes, that this bad market will weed out the indiscriminate breeders, and new 'breeders' who find out you can't make a quick buck at it, and the number of less than average bred horses starts to decline.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been really lucky the past 2 months and have sold 4 bred mares low price 1700 and high at 3500. Not complaining but gee whiz all the hipe about how well geldings sell and now we have 3 of them that haven't gotten a nibble 2 of them drive the other ones a weaner. Seems people just want mares around here. l did get an offer from someone to buy my fave guy seeing as l have his daddy now but thats out of the question but might rethink that. Upgrading has been fun lately got some super good deals on some beautiful trainer trained/shown now retired breeding stock. My geldings are almost free at this point but then seems there must be something wrong with them so l stuck out of this world high prices on them hoping maybe that well work. Colts go fast enough just geldings are the problem here...

It's been really slow for me this year, I even reduced my prices by 1/3 and still got only a couple of inquiries. I plan to hold my ground til the market turns around, although that is a source of contention with my wife. I refuse to sell a quality horse for cheap, I'd rather feed them for a while. I did sell a pet quality colt to be guilded for $500 recently, he was a decent colt but not show quality by my standards.Rick

[SIZE=12pt]O.K. don't tell me my FAVORITE breeder has the same predicament as ALL the rest of us and don't make me scrounge around the house for some CASH to buy some more mares from you. Ha! You know I absolutely love everyone of mine that we have. [/SIZE]

Off the subject: "Faith Farms Khemos Glimpse Of Glory's" colt "Guardian" is over at Aloha Acres for this next show season. So thank you Rick for that marvelous mare of mine....
default_biggrin.png
By the way don't BUDGE unless it's me.... Ha!

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

http://www.allureranch.com

[SIZE=12pt]It's so nice to see that several of you have opened yourselves up to letting other individuals know whats actually going on in other areas outside of where we ourselves may not be residing. It literally sounds as though were all in the same or similar dilemma.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

You know what though, none of us have actually discussed or indicated what we're ALL doing ourselves to assist with the promotion of the horses other than the normal adverstising. With the economy being what it is at the present I think its important for us to know what YOU/MYSELF are doing to promote the (breed) in order to obtain outside interest from the public.

Remember this it's not just about sales, it's also about the industry as a whole at this juncture for ALL of us. We can all hold on and wait it out, but in doing so we need to help bring it to the forefront. (I can't tell you how long I held on and waited for Bellbottom Blue Jeans to come back in style) Ha!

So share your ideas, it could help with this situation in turning it around a lot quicker.... and pray.
default_biggrin.png
Remember help thy neighbor and in return you help yourself...

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

Ive been listing a colt for some time, i actually got more inquires on him when i had him priced at $2200 then now when i have him priced at $750 and i think he is worth 3x that amount, i did...since i paid that for him. Nice colt, i get inquires on and off on him....was pushing him to a show home as he would do great i think, i bought him to show myself, but i just want him to get a good home, he is to nice of a colt and to sweet, he just deserves a good home.

Then i have a weanling filly and bred mare listed that i DO NOT have to sell, just kind of on there to be on there, both i do not mind at all keeping, at all!

Its not just the horse business.....its the car business....its the factory down the road making washing machines...its every industry, not just the horse industry. I'm just waiting it out as i really think it will get better.

Here in ND upper mid west. It is a buyer market. I have sold 2 colts for $50 each and 2 fillies for $150 each. I know it sound like giving them away.And it for the most part is.

But here you can not give away a big horse. Prices here are as low as they can go. There is no where else to go. The horse market is gone. I have a 3 yr arab gelding I owuld love to place. Nice colt, freindly ,sound sane. But no one wants him. So he will stay. Hopfully I'l find some teenager with hose sickness.

I purchused a well broke 5 yr old paso fino for $300 in AUG. Just one yr ago they had him up for sale priced at $2000 no taker.

I have freind who is trying to give away1, 2 yr and weanling , AQHA geldings and fillies. With no taker. Some with thier papers!! And they super nice horses with top breeding, he used to get $1000s per foal.

I also know one person who sold 6 horses to one family for $95 just 2 days ago, thats together not a peice. They are nice horses family broke anyone could ride them. Not trash, they paid over $1000 for each just 2 years ago.

So selling minaiture foals for $50- $100 is not a bad deal. All went to GOOD homes. Horse knowalable owners.

I have always told people I do not care what price I get as long as the horses gets a good home.

And that is the truth.

But my friend who raise big horses tell me I'm doing great. They can't give thiers away.

One gal I just sold a colt to for $50 said she had looked at many other minuatre horse web-sites and when she asked prices and they told $XXXX she said who are you kidding. Wake up and smell the coffee people..If she can't sell her AQHA s f at all how do we miniature horse people think ours are still worth that.

You can go to any horses sale and sit not spend a penny and go home with a trail full of horses. They just say who wants him hold up your number. Broke, weanling brrod mares. You name it they are free.

It's been really slow for me this year, I even reduced my prices by 1/3 and still got only a couple of inquiries. I plan to hold my ground til the market turns around, although that is a source of contention with my wife. I refuse to sell a quality horse for cheap, I'd rather feed them for a while. I did sell a pet quality colt to be guilded for $500 recently, he was a decent colt but not show quality by my standards.Rick

[SIZE=12pt]O.K. don't tell me my FAVORITE breeder has the same predicament as ALL the rest of us and don't make me scrounge around the house for some CASH to buy some more mares from you. Ha! You know I absolutely love everyone of mine that we have. [/SIZE]

Off the subject: "Faith Farms Khemos Glimpse Of Glory's" colt "Profit" is over at Aloha Acres for this next show season. So thank you Rick for that marvelous mare of mine....
default_biggrin.png

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

Hey Kimberle, you know your credit is always good with me!! You always need just one more, and I haven't made a trip to SA in a while. I'll have to keep an eye out for Profit; who's he with, Lee or Josh? Either way they'll do great with him.

Rick

Haven't really had any horses for sale, as sales around here aren't that great either. We figured no sense in putting them up for sale when no one's buying. What we ARE doing to help is we have stopped breeding our mares. In fact, we stopped 3 years ago. We have 6 or 7 geldings and a mare that we will have to sell eventually, as we can't go on paying the price for feed forever (we are retired and on a fixed income). So, in the meantime, we are training all of them to drive. They are all nice horses, a couple of shetlands and the rest are AMHR. There are several that I would be proud to take in the halter classes (if I liked halter, which I don't) and there are a couple that should probably stick to performance. But, by next spring or summer we should have everyone driving and possibly obstacles and jumping. We're putting a lot of time in them, but I want them to go to people who want to show, even local shows. I believe that most of the time if your horse has a job, people that purchase them may tend to keep them.

Pam

Off the subject: "Faith Farms Khemos Glimpse Of Glory's" colt "Profit" is over at Aloha Acres for this next show season. So thank you Rick for that marvelous mare of mine....
default_biggrin.png

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

Hey Kimberle, you know your credit is always good with me!! You always need just one more, and I haven't made a trip to SA in a while. I'll have to keep an eye out for Profit; who's he with, Lee or Josh? Either way they'll do great with him.

Rick

[SIZE=12pt]Right about now that's exactly what I'd need. CREDIT... Don't tempt me you silly man. Ha! Oh, did I hear you say that "Bobby Socks" was ready to move. Ha! [/SIZE]

Heck, I said "Profit" but what I meant to say was "Guardian". Both boys are actually with Josh along with another little one that cost me a pretty penny. ("I Blue By U Of Lilac Lane") So watch for "Guardian" out on the circut if you are out and keep me abreast of what you think. You know I trust your judgement on horses.

[SIZE=12pt]Kimberle Young[/SIZE]

Allure Ranch

I have been reading these post and in every single one I see myself...started not to post. Cause I thought he/she is talking about me. Yes I do advertise the ones I don't care if I sell or not for a lot more..because I think they are worth it and would be more than happy to keep them. Actually would be happy with keeping them all...I think that is why God gave me all boys but one...cause he knows I would make no effort at selling them right now. And we must keep the hubby entertained with the ideal we might pay him back a little bit.

Before, I always knew I could get at least 500.00 for a colt....not so true right now. But when you did advertise for that you really had to watch out for the type of people you would get.

I did sell a colt to a nice family Saturday for way less than what I thought he was worth, only because I was afraid he was going to outgrow his AMHA papers, and my hubby refuses to hardship my A mares into AMHR. The family didn't care if he had papers or not....gezz and I spent all that money getting his papers and DNA'd and he was a great grandson to Bond Dynamo to boot. Sorry people but I hate the height rule for AMHA...I don't mind the DNA...actually prefer horses I buy to be DNA'd.

OMG I had some men from Mexico come to my place...they wanted 10 horses and wanted to know what I would sell them for. I said 1st of all (through their translator) I don't have 10 horses for sell...also that I cared about where my horses where going and what they wanted them for...I couldn't get a straight answer...all the sudden the translator didn't have good English.
default_no.gif
Finally told them more or less don't let the gate hit you in the @#! on the way out.

Sorry I got off the subject....I get a lot of young families and I try to get them into letting their children show...promoting the family activity. I would have LOVED doing that with my kids when they where little..I am very negotiable to a show home and esp. a young family to get started in showing. Get those kids off their tails and brushing horses tails.

Meanwhile, I have not bred very many mares for the coming year and will just keep these around to play with until they sell..if ever...maybe I will actually be able to get away and show some.

Ive been listing a colt for some time, i actually got more inquires on him when i had him priced at $2200 then now when i have him priced at $750 and i think he is worth 3x that amount, i did...since i paid that for him. Nice colt, i get inquires on and off on him....was pushing him to a show home as he would do great i think, i bought him to show myself, but i just want him to get a good home, he is to nice of a colt and to sweet, he just deserves a good home.
Then i have a weanling filly and bred mare listed that i DO NOT have to sell, just kind of on there to be on there, both i do not mind at all keeping, at all!

Its not just the horse business.....its the car business....its the factory down the road making washing machines...its every industry, not just the horse industry. I'm just waiting it out as i really think it will get better.

[SIZE=12pt]I agree with you, your correct in the fact that its NOT just the horse industry. Its just finally beginning to have an effect on everything global. But this specific issue is obviously something that we ALL seem to share an interest in and just maybe by keeping this concern on the table we can help it along the way... If not sadly we could see that it will continue to spiral into a forgotten notion. [/SIZE]

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

Leeana, I looked at your website and if I had the room for him, your boy would be in my neck of the woods in a hart beat.
default_wub.png

I will be just starting to attempt to sell a few of my minis--

I have sold 8 big horses and ponies this year, all of close to my asking price-(though I did drop the price on one as it was a Perfect home- paid a great deal more for the mare, but the kid wanted her, and it worked out really well.)

I also have a good solid reputation for selling Good ponies, and my stock is Always as advertised. I always okay trials, and strongly encourage vettings and drug tests. (Not the norm for this area!)

I will be attempting to sell my 2 year old Open World/Furturity Top 10 winning gelding, a oversized non reg (but pretty and kid broke) mare, and am also kicking around the idea of selling my super gelding. (AMHR/AMHA multiple top 10's and Bomb proof to drive and just the best friend ever.)

I will be asking in the much lower 4 figures for the first gelding, in the triple for the un-reg mare, and quite a bit for the last horse- (As I'll sell him With his cart and harness as well.)

I figure the 2 year old gelding will be a hit or miss- he's well trained, and pretty as well as the Perfect age to get in for the driving classes next year- but he's a plain bay. The mare is a striking silver bay and very pretty, and my older gelding is a classy grey with a lovely head and has great conformation.

I also live in an area that horses tend to sell well in as it's an affluent area, and horses are Not a normal thing.

I only have two pony foals coming for next year, and I will be breeding my mini mares next year- but I am also prepared to hold on to all 4 foals- ;)

Depending on the deal I can work out, I may have two more pony foals coming the next year as well- but maybe not. *Shrug*

My welsh ponies take Time to sell- people want well broke gentle kids ponies, not weanlings, so I always have to plan at least 3 years out for every pony foal born here. (At least to get any decent money for them- a well broke fancy kids pony with changes and a doing a small course will easily sell in the high 4 figures every day down here.)

[SIZE=12pt]Right about now that's exactly what I'd need. CREDIT... Don't tempt me you silly man. Ha! Oh, did I hear you say that "Bobby Socks" was ready to move. Ha! [/SIZE] 

Heck, I said "Profit" but what I meant to say was "Guardian". Both boys are actually with Josh along with another little one that cost me a pretty penny. ("I Blue By U Of Lilac Lane") So watch for "Guardian" out on the circut if your and keep me abreast of what you think. You know I trust your judgement on horses.

OK, I'll watch for Guardian. Beverly put her foot down and after a heated discussion, I reduced prices further. Kimberle, you should check my sales page, you'll find a surprise; it was not my idea.

Heck, I said "Profit" but what I meant to say was "Guardian". Both boys are actually with Josh along with another little one that cost me a pretty penny. ("I Blue By U Of Lilac Lane") So watch for "Guardian" out on the circut if your and keep me abreast of what you think. You know I trust your judgement on horses.

OK, I'll watch for Guardian. Beverly put her foot down and after a heated discussion, I reduced prices further. Kimberle, you should check my sales page, you'll find a surprise; it was not my idea.

[SIZE=12pt]Oh my goodness.... I'd say it was heated. [/SIZE]

O.K., on one hand I want to say you go girl... But on the other, I'm so SUPRISED. Have you lost your mind?

Kimberle

Wow, 50.00 for a colt, 95.00 for several horses. That is not just bad but actually pitiful. I am sure glad we are in Texas where things are a lot better. I went back and checked the records tonight and came up with the following sale averages for 2008.

Colts 2 - 2,350.00 (2 show colts)

Fillies 9 - 3,180.00 (8 show fillies and 1 breeding filly)

Mares 11 - 1,745.00 (this includes the IAMHA sale which was extremely low)

Stallions - 1 - 5,000.00 ( sr stallion sold to a friend, "Rio" Son)

Geldings - 13 - 1,165.00 ( show geldings ) We gelded all colts except those we thought would be competitive on a world level

Pets 7 - 645.00 (5 geldings and 2 fillies)

Down from last year, but I think the marketing work Cindy has done both in and out of the industry has helped greatly.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

By the way these were all USA sales. I intentionally left out three horses that went outside the USA and would have skewed the averages too much.

Also we bought 1 mare, 1 colt, 1 filly and two geldings this last year and paid dearly for them as they were what we had been looking for.
default_wub.png

Also all of the horses were sold for full payment, even though we do offer payment plans. With the exception of 5 mares.

In many places horses are being offered for free, or next to free prices-so the market is definatly affected by the economy.

That being said I feel thankful to the Lord to have been able to sell what I had to offer this year in a short amout of time.

Two foals and a mare in foal, all sold within weeks of each other, all at near the full asking prices.

My husband was very sceptical that anyone would buy horses in this economy, when business is down everywhere.

And he was surprised when he saw commited out of state, and in state buyers wanting my horses.

I'm not sure where the economy is headed, but my best advice to those wanting to sell their horses is

to be willing work with your buyers to make the sale as do-able as possible.
default_yes.gif

Margaret,

I agree with you wholeheartedly about making it a do-able situation for any buyer. The thing I have noticed about how Cindy is getting it done is a little different than in years past as far as intensity and effort.

In that she does work diligently with the people that come to the farm to help them in finding the exact horse they are looking for. Sometimes that means sending them to friends when we do not have the horse to fill the ticket. But the effort is always appreciated and many times they end up coming back at a later date for another horse knowing that they can get the service the want. Couple that with after sale information and instructions, follow ups etc. and it makes for a pleasant experince which is worth its weight in gold.
default_wub.png

One other thing that I wanted to respond to in one of the other posts was the difference in riding horses and mini prices. We have found that the average riding horse according to some of our friends in that market is indeed down dramtically. The higher end big horses are still selling, but the average and lower end big horse is hard to re-home. That goes for all the rescues in the area also. Since the closing down of the killer market in Texas there is a real glut of un-wanted and neglected horses that the rescues are trying to deal with and it is overpowering to say the least. Just last week an individual who has not been identified yet, turned out 14 horses in the county park and just left them. A sad situation to say the least.
default_wacko.png

The two do not really have anything to do with each other!

But the number of mini's that are showing up in rescues is down dramatically from the last couple of years here in our area, according to a good friend in the rescue business. I hope it stays that way.
default_yes.gif

Wow, 50.00 for a colt, 95.00 for several horses. That is not just bad but actually pitiful. I am sure glad we are in Texas where things are a lot better. I went back and checked the records tonight and came up with the following sale averages for 2008.
Colts 2 - 2,350.00 (2 show colts)

Fillies 9 - 3,180.00 (8 show fillies and 1 breeding filly)

Mares 11 - 1,745.00 (this includes the IAMHA sale which was extremely low)

Stallions - 1 - 5,000.00 ( sr stallion sold to a friend, "Rio" Son)

Geldings - 13 - 1,165.00 ( show geldings ) We gelded all colts except those we thought would be competitive on a world level

By the way these were all USA sales. I intentionally left out three horses that went outside the USA and would have skewed the averages too much.
Hi

Im curious, would the international sales increased the average price?

Sam

yes the international sales would have increased the averages in the colt class to about $3,066.00 and the mares to 2,016.00.
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back