How are horse sales at your end of the WORLD?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allure Ranch

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Season's Greetings. I'm interested to know how everyone is doing with the economy slump regarding horse sales??? Tell us ALL what it's like at our end of the WORLD! I'm sure we'd all like to know.... and what are you doing to help improve it???[/SIZE]

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

http://www.allureranch.com

http://www.allureranch.com/video/profit.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
Sales seem slow here in the northeast. Seems like if anyone is interested in buying, they want a very low figure or they will look elsewhere. Definitely a buyers market if you want to sell. How is it in your area? Would be nice if everyone would post on this subject.

Joyce

Interestingly enough sales at the farm have been just fine. We sold 4 horses for decent money this month and are encouraged by whom it is that are buying. It seems we are getting new folks or folks that have been on the edges of the industry for the last several months.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

Auction sales were not good as far as the value of the horses against what they brought at the recent IAMHA sale. But with the weather etc, I guess that was to be expected.
default_wacko.png

All in all we are very encouraged and excited about this coming year. I think overall things will get back to normal and we will see a rebound in the economy with no election year voodoo, which should be good for all concerned.
default_wink.png

I guess to sum it up it is as it always is, good horses sell and lesser quality are harder to sell and/or find the right homes for.
default_unsure.png

On the other foot we bought 2 driving geldings, a black & white filly for the brood mare pen, a Show Mare and a Show Colt, future herd sire in 2008 spending a total of about 19,500.00. So we are still working our breeding program and building towards the future. We are really excited about all of the new ones we bought and expect them to be compliments to our herd of horses. Yes and before anyone says it we are hooked and hope to stay that way. LOL
default_rolleyes.gif
default_no.gif
default_yes.gif

Very poor here..... prices have been reduced to reflect the economy and to give folks a break on shipping and all I seem to be getting are 'wierdos' who want a back yard pet for their 3 year old, to throw out with the dogs.

Had someone the other day who wanted to know if I would take less, cause they didnt have much money to spend, but wanted a 'pony' for the daughter to ride.... would I take less? I asked what type of facilities they had for a horse, and what type of experience they had and did they realize the bills keep coming with worming, farrier, feed, supplies, annual dental care, etc.... Didnt hear back from them. One insisted that it get along with dogs in their back yard- which went from one small dog to four, two were part pit, and the filly was supposed to live back there... and can they 'borrow' some food for it cause they have no place to put feed and couldnt afford any for a couple of weeks. Then wanted to take the horse home in the back seat of a car (where it would not have fit, not to mention not safe) and when told no, called back to put it in a rubber tub then in the back of the car.... !! No, no and NO!!!

I did sell a filly to some first time horse owners who had done their homework- had proper facilities, knew what and how much to feed, know about the care involved, etc.... and had also recruited help from experienced horse owners near them and already had a farrier and vet set up!! They are interested in learning more and not bashful about asking questions, which I have been thrilled to answer for them. Their two teens are supervised with the horse also, etc... and they have gone above and beyond what any new horse owner would be expected to do! I was very impressed with them- they used sense and were very caring people.

I am so disgusted though with the people who keep contacting me wanting a weanling or yearling as a 'child proof' pet for an unsupervised kid in a family who knows nothing, does not even ask about the care or feeding or personality of the horse- just wants to make sure it can be abused by their kids and put up with it- it's not like you can take it to the pound and dump it there like you did the last six pets that your kids got bored with.....

I dont know WHAT to do about encouraging sales or the economy.... I dont think I will be breeding any mares this year.... have not decided yet.. if I do, it will be for my own benefit. I'm pretty frustrated with the type of buyers I am getting just because I have dropped the prices on my two for sale. I refuse to sell one to someone who will not care for it properly, starting with improper fencing that the neighbors dogs and coyotes all run through....!!

Well, it depends I guess. I sold a super nice colt to a client as a gelding for a very good price. And I have a coming 2 yr old GAITED pony for sale that I have listed DIRT CHEAP that I can't get a serious bite on her. My problem as been the influx of individuals (I'm trying real hard to be PC) that want all the bells and whistles for less than $500! On the 2 yr old pony, she's gaited, has been handled, has good ground manners, but isn't broke to ride. I have her listed at $500 because I just want to sell her. And at that price, for a gaited pony (which are extremely rare) she's a steal. I either have people who don't read the ad and think she's a horse or I have the ones that want me to say she's child safe. I'm sorry, but I'm not selling a child safe horse for $500 when I know I can take it to a fall auction and get 5x that!
default_wacko.png
My husband says I'm too ethical and that I should just sell her as child safe and be done with it. Personally, I like to sleep at night.

And that's what I'll do, I'll keep her, break her to ride, and sell in October. Of all the horses, she causes the least amount of trouble.
default_wink.png

The two we sold brought what we wanted. One trade was perfect also. Still have 1 possibly for sale but will not drop her price. If she sells for that she will go , if not she wont. We have also sold our puppies for very good prices. WE havent dropped them from our usual either.

Lyn

Well, here in the UK things have definately slowed up, but then they generally do in the winter. ( Not many buyers can see through all that hair !) We sold everything that we had for sale this year with no problems, and one colt that we have kept we could have sold several times over ( 24 1/2" at 6 months, silver dapple with blue eyes ) but we want to run him on for a while. With the economic situation there is no doubt that people are going to be more choosy and want a lot more for their money. Not sure yet how it may affect the International market, the cost of importing horses is pretty high.

Our market in Australia has slowed up also. Prices have dropped to suit the economy, and people want to talk down the prices. I have not budged on my prices, and so far 3 of the 5 horses i have had for sale have sold. The two left are foals that are still on their dams, so i am certainly in no rush to sell them.

I think good horses will still sell regardless here atm, but so many people are trying to sell their horses dirt cheap, and it has flooded the market which isnt doing anyone any favours!
default_no.gif

I am in a situation that if my horses dont sell, then i will keep them here until i find just the right home. I am in no rush, and i am sure not going to give them away for the prices alot of the sellers are asking at the moment. But so far ive been lucky with sales.

As for international sales, as you know Kimberle
default_saludando.gif
(hi!!) there is still a few imports coming over here from Australia, a beautiful stallion from Allure Ranch coming to my place being one of them. And i can say first hand... OUCH!
default_new_shocked.gif
The price has risen to bring them over here since i got my first quote from them in June, and that along with our $ only buying about 60 US cents at the moment it is costing me a packet (and alot more than i had originally allowed for) to bring him out here. Lucky he will be so very worth it!!
default_wub.png

I know a few others that had horses booked to go into quarantine to bring over here, but have had to put it off in the hopes for better exchange rate, and if the exchange rate doesnt improve they will have to resell their horses over there and hope not to lose too much money.

It is a hard time, but im sure we will all come through it. Its definately a buyers market here.

Our sales up here in northeast Wisc. have been really poor, prices are at a giveaway price. However, I did sell two within the past 2 weeks and both for decent prices. The one buyer had looked at a few horses, in Wisc. priced alot less then what I had mine priced at and yet, he came back and bought mine...paying my price. The second one was bought after the new owners stopped here by accident, and fell in love with one of my home raised 4 yr olds..it was hard to part with her, but I did knowing the fantastic life she will have, and I just gave them a price and they paid it as well, they had also looked at other horses priced lower.. I also just sold last week a blue eyed ivory jack, and got a very decent price for him as well. He was only advertised on my site and for two days, and was sold. My jack is going to live in California (smart fellow..he dont like the cold either!!..lol..) The price quotes for transport from Wi to Calif. have been all over the board...with the high end being $2,700.00 to the low end being $1,300.00. I havent advertised any of my horses for sale, other then on my site. My horses can just keep being my back yard pasture pets for as long as they like, I am in no rush to "cut-back" and eventually the right homes will come along. I have also been very lucky with sales. I do think when a person drops there price alot... that would say to me if I were prospective buyer..no one must be interested in this horse something must be wrong, with it, and from what I have heard that is usually correct. So, my price which are affordable will stay right where they are at, and I will be able to be choosey about the perfect homes. I also have not bred any of my mares for 3 years.

Sales seem slow here in the northeast. Seems like if anyone is interested in buying, they want a very low figure or they will look elsewhere. Definitely a buyers market if you want to sell. How is it in your area? Would be nice if everyone would post on this subject.Joyce

[SIZE=12pt]Well I'd have to say that it seems as though we have a lot of interest. Just not many individuals committing. (AND I'M NOT WILLING TO BUDGE). I've personally had more international contacts here as of lately. Thank goodness.... We've had a gentleman from Ecuador select five of our horses and were presently just waiting on the approval from the Ecuadorian government. [/SIZE]

I'd have to say that fortunately due to our countries recent economic changes that have transpired over the last couple of years it has had its benefits. It has actually forced those individuals that were selling horses of LOW GRADE quality from some of the top breeding farms to actually access there true values, verses the inflated amounts that they had been charging over the years. So now that the pillaging has ceased it should be more obvious to the average individual what a determining factor of quality is. But unfortunately its not and it has had an affect on the buyers selection process. It seems as though the only interest in the market is how LOW will you go. I've always been a firm believer that ALL horses have value. But a truly good horse will always behold its worth. So therefore, I'm not competing with the market. I've just assessed the values that I feel they are worthy of. Nothing more, nothing less.....

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

Last edited by a moderator:
In general (there are always exceptions) I think the horse market goes hand-in-hand with the overall economy. But, I still maintain that good quality horses still bring good prices. It's going to be hard to sell a pet-quality horse for $1000 these days. Now, VERY good horses that used to bring VERY good prices have come down a bit. That's makes it great for someone like myself who is looking to upgrade certain horses. I certainly couldn't have bought Merlin last year for what I did last month, so I took advantage of that and made the purchase. Same thing with Spirit, although not as cheap as Merlin, Spirit was still a good deal. Two years ago Ann wouldn't have parted with Spirit for 3 times what I got him for.

The other factor impacting prices, IMO, are the number of people who don't want to "wait and see" what the market is going to do so they are jumping ship. That adds a glut of horses, generally average to below-average quality, to the market. The people with the higher quality horses aren't freaking out and just understand all markets (horse, autos, whatever) have ups and downs. Don't flame me! I'm not saying that EVERYONE who is selling horses right now is selling poor quality horses. But many are.

Plus, it's the beginning of winter. Doesn't it seem like every winter we see all these adds about "too many horses to winter" or "need to make room for spring foals." Better planning people!!!

Personally I've sold more horses this year than any other year, but part of this is my still being "new" and just getting to the point where my horses are the quality that other farms will consider. In past years, people were like "who are you?"
default_laugh.png

It's not the end of the world, it's just a cycle...and a GREAT time to buy!
default_wink.png

There was a little mare that just sold with her this years colt. They were advertised for $800 each. She was AMHA and trained to drive. They sold after 2 months.

In general (there are always exceptions) I think the horse market goes hand-in-hand with the overall economy. But, I still maintain that good quality horses still bring good prices. It's going to be hard to sell a pet-quality horse for $1000 these days. Now, VERY good horses that used to bring VERY good prices have come down a bit. That's makes it great for someone like myself who is looking to upgrade certain horses. I certainly couldn't have bought Merlin last year for what I did last month, so I took advantage of that and made the purchase. Same thing with Spirit, although not as cheap as Merlin, Spirit was still a good deal. Two years ago Ann wouldn't have parted with Spirit for 3 times what I got him for.
The other factor impacting prices, IMO, are the number of people who don't want to "wait and see" what the market is going to do so they are jumping ship. That adds a glut of horses, generally average to below-average quality, to the market. The people with the higher quality horses aren't freaking out and just understand all markets (horse, autos, whatever) have ups and downs. Don't flame me! I'm not saying that EVERYONE who is selling horses right now is selling poor quality horses. But many are.

Plus, it's the beginning of winter. Doesn't it seem like every winter we see all these adds about "too many horses to winter" or "need to make room for spring foals." Better planning people!!!

Personally I've sold more horses this year than any other year, but part of this is my still being "new" and just getting to the point where my horses are the quality that other farms will consider. In past years, people were like "who are you?"
default_laugh.png

It's not the end of the world, it's just a cycle...and a GREAT time to buy!
default_wink.png

[SIZE=12pt]I'd have to say that I agree with you whole heartily...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Kimberle Young[/SIZE]

Allure Ranch

altho we are not buying or selling now, prices have kind of bottomed out and are holding steady here in CA. the intresting thing is the sale papers are nearly empty. not much for sale at all. the last minis I saw were advertised as a reduction sale at $1500 and up.[ not a bad price].

Horse sales seem to be pretty awful, here.

I have had two for sale, a filly and gelding and have had NO inquiries on either, not even at "make an offer" prices.

There's nothing WRONG with them, just that we could use the room and a few less to clean up after to make life more peaceful around here with the people if ya know what I mean.

The only thing I don't want to do is jeopardize the horses' safety and comfort in order to get them placed in homes. I really wish I didn't have two foals coming.

I don't know a lot I can do to improve the market, not when there are people selling horses for a couple hundred bucks around me.

Liz

. My problem as been the influx of individuals (I'm trying real hard to be PC) that want all the bells and whistles for less than $500! On the 2 yr old pony, she's gaited, has been handled, has good ground manners, but isn't broke to ride.
Sadly you can go to almost any auction almost anywhere in the country and find a very well broke, child safe and often local show worthy horse be it a pony or large horse for $500.00 or less right now. I have seen great horses who have been shown or all around ranch horses sound as can be selling for $250.00.

From a buyer's (who is currently searching for just the right Amateur-level show horse) point of view, I am seeing a lot of "junk". I am also seeing a few decent, just decent, quality Amateur-level horses that are priced way too high, in my opinion, they are priced like competitive Open horses. I am well established in and very familiar with several "big" horse breeds and I feel confident that I have their markets figured out for the most part, but I haven't figured out the Miniature Horse market yet.
default_wacko.png
Maybe I am seeing a lot of ads for horses that their owners really don't want to sell? However, if that is the case and they have other horses for sale, it doesn't do anything for me. If you want to keep it, keep it, don't advertise it for way more than it's worth because you would sell it if you got that, but you'd really like to keep it. I think it makes a (not good) statement about your breeding program and makes you look not so smart.

It's been really slow for me this year, I even reduced my prices by 1/3 and still got only a couple of inquiries. I plan to hold my ground til the market turns around, although that is a source of contention with my wife. I refuse to sell a quality horse for cheap, I'd rather feed them for a while. I did sell a pet quality colt to be guilded for $500 recently, he was a decent colt but not show quality by my standards.

Rick

Well I am in Florida and was thinking sales had not been very good for me this year. BUT once I counted up how many have sold I am feeling better
default_yes.gif
. We sold 8 foals this year and I only have 1 08 foal left. Since he is a loud black blanket and spots great moving colt if he stays that will be fine and u will see us at the shows driving in a couple years. Oh and that does not include 4 fancy appy fillies I am keeping, well u might be able to pry a couple of them away from me, LOL. I also sold 5 mares and 4 were bred mares. Most of these horses have sold in the past couple months and I HOPE that means things are picking up some. Prices have not been good but I sold pet quality for pet prices and have refused to take all these amazingly low prices I have been offered for my best horses. What i did do was let people that I already know and trust buy my best on payments. That works out great for us all. So thats 13 horses mostly sold in the last 2 mths to great homes, not bad I think!

Latest posts

Back