How about this horse for mom

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
Okay since the haflinger thing mom isnt really going for ..she is set on a quarter horse. I have been looking for quite some time on the internet and found this horse.

thphoto2035753889.jpg

He is 3years old, QuarterHorse, and 14.3Hands, gelding.

I am willing to sell my Arabian to pay for him and need to know.

Mom weighs about 275, height around 5'7. The palimino above is the horse i am asking ..do you guys think she could ride? I need to know bc i already posted sammy (arabian) for sale at Horsetopia and if you guys think that the palimino wouldnt work i need to get him off that site.

Oh yes ..did some math. That horse is 57 inches high ..mom is 67 inches high. I measured where the stirup would be and its just right for mom. He said this horse has seen it all and would be good for a beginninger, no buck, bite and wouldnt run away w/ you. He said its just a nice calm learners horse. Not a barrel horse or anything but would be good for anyone. He said thats why he is going a bit cheap bc they wanted him for pole bending but he didnt have the speed.

I personally would be wary of buying a riding horse from the net.

Do you know anyone who lives close and could check him out for you?

"He said" may or may not mean a whole lot. Some people say a lot of things to make a horse more attractive to a prospective long distance buyer.

Kind of hard to tell from that picture, but he doesn't look real well muscled up to carry your moms weight. Also 14/3 isn't terribly big.

Just my opinion.

[SIZE=14pt]Im 5 10 and 240 pounds. Personally I would feel too big for a 14.3 horse but that is just me. When I was thinner about 180 I rode a horse that size and felt ok. My balance isnt what it used to be so a smallish horse isnt comfortable to me. I dont know how much riding experience your mom has . I have been riding since I was 6. thats 44 years now...egad did I really admit that! My age AND my wt in one fell swoop!!!![/SIZE]

Oh well. Why not let your mom pic out a horse. Does she really really want one or do you just want her to have one?

Lyn

i know 14.3 isnt to big ..but we dont want a 16hand horse either.

I dont know if we could build his stamina and muscle ...but i am not the best in this area so that would be why im asking.

This guy is located about 55 miles from where i live and were planning to go look at him sometime this week (not buy ..just look). But even that is still up for debate!

Leeana

lyn_j Posted Today, 07:37 PM   Im 5 10 and 240 pounds. Personally I would feel too big for a 14.3 horse but that is just me. When I was thinner about 180 I rode a horse that size and felt ok. My balance isnt what it used to be so a smallish horse isnt comfortable to me. I dont know how much riding experience your mom has . I have been riding since I was 6. thats 44 years now...egad did I really admit that! My age AND my wt in one fell swoop!!!!

Oh well. Why not let your mom pic out a horse. Does she really really want one or do you just want her to have one?

Lyn
We have looked at a few horses w/ mom and all she does is sit in the car and say she doesnt know anyhting about this business. So its pretty much up to me and dad ..she has seen this horse and liked him. But she doesnt wanna hurt him. I showed her about 3 QH today that i found and she liked this one and this other black one ..but it was way over priced.

[SIZE=14pt]Leeanna, Just a thought but it doesnt sound like mama is so interested in getting a horse. I know when I was 310 pounds that all I wanted to do was sit on the sidelines too. Thats about the same wt for me at 5 10 that she is at for 5 7. My wt made it very hard for me to get on a horse. My center of gravity was who knows where. I couldnt keep my feet in the stirrups and every saddle was uncomfortable for me to sit it. I had 54 inch hips for crying out loud! even a 16 inch roping saddle didnt make me feel secure. My guess is that is part of the problem for your mom. I can identify with that..... it was horrible and hard to ride. I had gotten down to 185 agian briefly but when I got blind I sat around for a couple years feeling sorry for myself and eating and gained back to where I am now. If your mom isnt 100% gung ho on having her own horse, whatever horse you pick isnt going to be right for her. She has to make the decision not sit in the car.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Lyn. Doesn't sound too much like Mom is terribly interested. Maybe you could just take her riding a couple of times before you invest in a horse for her. See where it goes from there.

thats the thing though, she has rode a horse before but only w/ me leading it and that was about 3 or 4 times a year or two ago. Now she wants to learn to ride and she no longer has the trust in our 16.2hh barrel horses. When i was leading her she was riding dads horses ..but one died (R.I.P frosty) and dad sold the good riders he had back then. Now he has 1 mustang pony which i wouldnt put anyone on that has never really rode before and a couple really tall horses, like all mine. We do have 1 small Qh ..but its a quarter pony, small. She is the one who wants to learn to ride, we are not forcing it on her. She wants to ride and i know she could. She does good in the saddle, i remember she was fine. Mostly just now its doing it by herself w/out me or dad leading her.

Mom isnt to intersted in all the chatty talk about the horse, all she wants to do is learn to ride. We found someone who would give lessons since i really dont feel like putting myself in that situation ..but first we need a horse.

LoveCoco said:
Oh yes ..did some math.  That horse is 57 inches high ..mom is 67 inches high.  I measured where the stirup would be and its just right for mom.  He said this horse has seen it all and would be good for a beginninger, no buck, bite and wouldnt run away w/ you.  He said its just a nice calm learners horse.  Not a barrel horse or anything but would be good for anyone.  He said thats why he is going a bit cheap bc they wanted him for pole bending but he didnt have the speed.
482356[/snapback]

Heis only 3 how well broke can he be? how much of a learning horse can he be? at 3 he is only learning himself. I am not saying you cant have a quiet 3 yr old but i would never pair up a green rider with a 3 yr old horse.

I personally would look for a larger horse as well but that is just me being not a tiny person and what I would feel comfortable on but a older been there done that horse for sure would be my choice.

I measured where the stirup would be and its just right for mom.

What in tarnation??????

Where's that come from? Oh dear............

No Leanna, no.

From what I see this horse is too short and his back is too long and he also appears to be narrow from what I can see and of course it's not a good way to judge a horse I realize that. A three year old? Sorry no way, never. He hasn't done squat in 3 years and if he has, he shouldn't have. He's also mentally imature most likely.

Mom isnt to intersted in all the chatty talk about the horse, all she wants to do is learn to ride.

This is a BAD sign.

When I gave riding lessons we surely did chat about everything to do with horses. If you do not understand the mind of a horse and how they think and react that makes for a bad rider. A DISINTERESTED RIDER. If your mother won't bother to learn everything she can by someone that knows what they are doing, A professional, I'd forget it and with all due respect, not encourge this anymore with her. I'd drop it.

Also Leanna, why do I get the feeling that it's you that really wants a new horse?

Suggestion: I think you need some riding lessons. I think you have much to learn and it would be fun for you to extend what you already know. Why don't you take some lessons from the most righteous and reputable and prestigeous and big timey stable that you can find? Then, have your mother come along and take you and have her watch your lessons. See what develops.

He's 3!! Just a baby. Doesnt matter if he is ten feet tall, he is a baby mentally. If this is to be a first horse it has got to be an older, been there, done that kinda horse. Its been said before, green+green=black&blue

What about an ex-breezer?

I would wait....and besides there are deals out there with older, broke trail horses that would be perfect...not saying this guy isn't, but a 3 year old? I don't know that he would be broke enough to 1)handle a shifting rider(it is one thing to be 90 lbs and bouncing all over, another to be 200+ and bouncing all over), 2) to really have done all the things he is supposed to have done. And if he has done enough to be 'bomb proof' I would be very leary--how young was he started?? I would be worried about his back, especially. He also doesn't look very fit or mature.

Since it is probably a good thing for her to go out and get lessons(the daughter teaching mother is not always the best position to be in, LOL!), I would ask if they(the stable) offers riding lessons on lesson horses. They should, and they should have a good variety of horses to choose from. Plus, that way she can decide if she really wants to continue riding--it might sound like a good idea now, but later on....well, life always has a different direction than what we see.

There are always older horses that were 'outgrown' or that are no good for their 'sport'(ie: roping or racing or something) and that would be great to pack a learning person around for a good experience. Older is better, for one, the horse is full grown and has no joints to have problems with like a young one would, and for two, they have seen everything and don't care!

Good luck...

Marty said:
I measured where the stirup would be and its just right for mom.
What in tarnation??????

Where's that come from?  Oh dear............

No Leanna, no.

From what I see this horse is too short and his back is too long and he also appears to be narrow from what I can see and of course it's not a good way to judge a horse I realize that. A three year old? Sorry no way, never. He hasn't done squat in 3 years and if he has, he shouldn't have. He's also mentally imature most likely.

Mom isnt to intersted in all the chatty talk about the horse, all she wants to do is learn to ride.

This is a BAD sign.

When I gave riding lessons we surely did chat about everything to do with horses. If you do not understand the mind of a horse and how they think and react that makes for a bad rider. A DISINTERESTED RIDER.  If your mother won't bother to learn everything she can by someone that knows what they are doing, A professional,  I'd forget it and with all due respect, not encourge this anymore with her. I'd drop it.

Also Leanna, why do I get the feeling that it's you that really wants a new horse?

Suggestion: I think you need some riding lessons. I  think you have much to learn and it would be fun for you to extend what you already know. Why don't you take some lessons from the most righteous and reputable and prestigeous and big timey stable that you can find? Then, have your mother come along and take you and have her watch your lessons. See what develops.

482457[/snapback]

I FULLY agree with Marty. Leanna, I know you want a horse, but please get her lessons instead. I don't want to see this horse being ignored. He is just a baby! My mini Peanut is only 3 and yes, he is doing a lot of stuff, but he is still little. Truly he is, and I understand that.

Your mom needs to know a lot more then just how to ride to own a horse.

I agree no horse for now. I don't care how well trained or sturdy. No light horse breed should be ridden by someone that heavy, IMO. It's not only very hard on the animal it's dangerous for the rider as well.

lf your mom feels the chatty talk about horses isn't for her and can't even be bothered to get out of the car to get a first hand look at a horse weeeelll thats like someone saying l want to learn to drive a car but can't be bothered with the know how that goes along with it. She should go to a trainer and take private one on one lessons before buying anything to even see if it's what she wants or is capable of even doing. Not everyone at that weight can swing a leg up and over even with a 2 step platform and stay centered.
biggrin.gif

I agree with all that has been said. The horse is too young (again) the horse is too small (again!) You need to invest time and money (or rather your Mom does) in going to a Riding School and learning on a nice quite sturdy horse. Why on earth should you sell Sammy to buy something for your Mom?? I commend the sentiment but, Sweetie, she is your Mom she should be paying for a horse for her, not you.

just to clear this up ...if i wanted a horse for me i would not be getting a 1,000 dollar 14.3 hand QH. Just not my type, and i deff. am not a fan of palimino. If i wanted a horse i would not sell sammy for one. But if mom wants one and needed the money ..i would.

You just have to see what my mom wants. She brought up riding, we talked to this guy who will teach mom to ride (along w/ me looking on and cheering of course) ..but we must provide the horse. He is a professional so i got some trust in this guy for mom and she talked to him.

Talking about the stirup measure ..we just got a new saddle a couple days ago that mom wanted and we had to get the stirup at right lenght on the stirup. Good old 19' saddle. Bought it from ebay
yes.gif

so now i am really rethinking this horse idea

[SIZE=14pt]Leeana, I mean this as no disrespect to your mom, I say this as someone with an ample butt and large middle still..... I couldnt keep my balance on a trotting horse when my waist was 52 inches around. My hips were 58 inches around....yes thats almost 5 feet around! Im guessing your mom is shaped like I was. No horse on the planet was comfortable for me. The closest was a tennessee walker that I rode or tried to ride but I always felt like I was bouncing everywhere and couldnt keep my balance therefore I feared falling off.... when you are that heavy fear of falling and breaking something you might need later is very real. Your mother may not express these feelings to you but I guarantee they are there. May I suggest maybe she learns to DRIVE rather than ride....also start an exercise program involving walking and getting more flexable before riding. I weigh less than your mom and am taller and I wouldnt feel comfortable or safe up in the air even now. I have a 46" waist ( actually no waist at all) and 48 inch hips. I have no chest so thats not a problem but I would never be able to hoist into a saddle now without starting from the top rail of a fence or a mounting block. Thats why I drive. We have a half arab half quarterhorse mare and I never ride her for that reason. Please think about this really hard. I would be glad to e mail your mom to offer her some support in driving lessons and exercise and wt loss which I am doing again now. IF she wants a buddy who has been where she is I am here. The difference between me and your mom is I HAD to be around the horses, smelling them, grooming them, walking them out..... HAD to have contact with them, just not on TOP of them. I dont see that enthusiasm in your posts from your mom.[/SIZE]

This is me at 240 pounds.... if your mom is any rounder than this I promise you she isnt going to feel comfortable riding. I still dont. she is 3 inches shorter than me and 35 pounds heavier, unless she is very flexable which I admit Im not... I needed help to stand back up because of my knees. Getting on a horse and going any faster than a walk requires balance and rythm that I dont have at this wt.

f3a8a102.jpg

Lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
A new rider doesnt know what they want, well, make that they dont know what they need. 'Want' doesnt make it what they need. If there is someone to give decent lessons then they should supply the horse, sorry, thats just my opinion. To me lessons arent just get on, go, stop. Its leg aids, seat, hands, everything. If the lessons are given on a baby then there isnt much learned and is most likely an accident waiting to happen.

What about an ex-breezer? Course not a fresh one, but there are many out there that would suffice.

Latest posts

Back