Hello there!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pippin'

Reaction score
Hi, I'm extremely new to the world of Miniature Horses though not so new to horses in general. I'm seventeen and from Queen Creek, AZ. My mom owned horses when she was a teenager but had to sell them when she had kids so I rode at a lesson barn and the Renaissance Fair until sixth grade when my mom leased a big Thoroughbred gelding named Glory for me to show in 4-H. I only rode Glory for a few months because right before our first show (about three hours before) something spooked him and I fell and broke my arm. After Glory we didn't have another horse for a year or so but I still took lessons, though more Western than English this time. When I was in 7th grade my mom adopted a 3yr old Mustang mare from BLM. She trained the mare, River, until it was time for her to be under saddle and hen she sent her to a trainer friend. He trained River and the two bonded better then my mom and her so my mom sold River to him. We went through a few more horses until we got to the mixed up herd we have now. Our herd consists of two Thoroughbred geldings named Finn and Dante, a grade Pony mare named Tempest, a registered Quarter Horse named Vegas, a Polish Arabian gelding named Rooster, a grade pinto gelding named Ace, and of course the whole reason I joined a little grade Miniature gelding named Pippin. The majority of the horses are my mom's and sister's but Ace and Pippin are mine.

Other than horses our lives are run by four dogs, four cats, two guinnea pigs, eight rabbits, two goats, and an ever changing amount of chickens. Most of the animals are 4-H projects but my mom and I are starting to breed and show Bantam Buff Brahmas (chicken) and Mini Lops (rabbits) outside of 4-H. Yeah, we are a bit insane...

Anywas, onto the man of the hour, whole reason I am here, and holder of my heart Pippin! I don't know much about Pippin other than that he is a gelding, around two, has multiple personalities that he shows within five minutes, he is to dang smart, and he is about the same size as my mom's Irish Wolfhound. I've had him for a few months now and sadly haven't been able to work him as much as I wanted. What I have done with him is work on leading, respect, and desensitizing (all of which he had almost no clue). In the end I want to train him to pull a cart and maybe show him in open shows or AMHA (if he can be registered). We have a harness for him but I need to start from the ground up basically since recently he has begun to pretend he is a wild horse who's never been touched. When I am able to get the halter on he is an angel. Since I am so new to Minis and starting horses you will probably be flooded with a ton of questions in the coming months and whenever I run into something I need help on. I even know the first question. What color is he!? It's been driving me insane because he looks grey but he has a purple tint to his fur and his mane has some tan, red, and blonde in it. I will get pictures up as soon as I can.

I can't wait to talk to everyone and get the overload of information I know is here
default_smile.png

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of minis. Look out though! (please write this down for future reference) they are like potato chips so you can never stop at one
default_new_rofl.gif
We all started with just one
default_new_rofl.gif

I can't wait to see a photo of Pippin
default_yes.gif

Welcome from Italy

Renee

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I figured that out recently because I was searching classifieds and wishing I had the few thousand dollars to get a few of the Minis that a local breeder is selling. It happened with our Minis Lop rabbits too, apparently "breeding like rabbits" means purchasing more and more not actually breeding...

You've definitely come to the right place!!! A BIG welcome from the high desert of Sunny Southern California!
default_488.gif

Liz N.

default_saludando.gif
Hello from Southern Illinois! Looking forward to seeing pics of your Pippin.

Hi!!! Welcome!!! I loved your intro!
default_smile.png

It sounds like you have quite an interesting mix of critters to love!

I know what you mean. Horses are smart! But minis.......VERY SMART! They dig their way right into your heart! You've come to the right place to ask questions and hang out with great people who also love minis (and ponies)

Welcome to the wonderful world of minis from extremely windy and cold Iowa LOL!!! I agree with others though that you cant have just one :D

Welcome from Minnesota!! My miniature horses name is Éowyn--which I thought was kinda funny because yours is named Pippin (both Lord of the Rings characters ;))

Latest posts

Back