How about this horse for mom

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mom already drives the mini's and ponys. She's the one that got me interested in that (which im adicted to anyway).

I posted a thread about this a while back, but now im looking for horses and seeing if you guys can help me here.

Came home today and mom and i got on the internet agian and looked for horses. She liked this one (lets see what you guys think)

We called the lady today and talked to her.

15hands

8 year old

gelding

sorrel

Quarter Horse

1,100 pounds

Here is the paragraph that was wrote about it

Quincy is a beautiful sorrel gelding that is just wonderful to have around. He is 15 hands tall and is broke broke broke. He neckreins like a pro and has been ridden all over on trails or take him to the show pen. He would be great for kids or your hubby. He's got socks on his hind legs and a pretty blaze. Ride him bareback with just a halter and leadrope or put your tack on him and hit the trails. Needs shoes replaced soon would be her only fault. Give me a call.

So im guessing that a 15hh horse that weights 1,100 pounds would have to be build pretty good. Unfortunatly no pics ......$900

Any thoughts on this one?

[SIZE=14pt]LEanna, has your mom ever trotted on a horse or cantered???? Are you just figuring her size wont matter??? I am concerned for her. I was there.... I know what it is like to try. Can she mount alone? what if she went for a ride alone and fell off??? You seem to be ignoring that part of everyones post. How does your mom compare to my picture??? We really are trying to help . This is a real concern. I wont mention it anymore though if you are sure it isnt a consideration.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Mom is as young and able as she was 20 years ago. I know she wouldnt have a problom. Thats why i've chosen to put that off to the side really. Mostly because her weight doesnt really affect her at all. Im pretty sure she doesnt want to trot or canter ..just walk beside me on a nice trail ride. Nothing more ..nothing less. I dought we would go cantering or trotting for at least a couple month.

Balance is something you can work on from what i have read.

Mostly what im worried about is if the horse would work bc i know my mom and i know she could ride. I just have to be 100% that the horse would be good for her.

My mom can bend over backward and touch the ground im pretty sure ..she might be a bit heavy but i wouldnt challenge her to a marathon
wink.gif

btw:

did anyone see that show on CMT called 'cowboy u'? The guy who was the instructor (if thats the right word) was about my moms weight. He did pretty good on that horse and i dont know what its height was but he wasnt to tall. Deff. not a 16hh horse at all. The guy had no problem getting on the horse and he weighed more and was older then my mother.

*Anyone know what horse breed that was?

Im sorry but you are NUTS to put someone that inexperienced and heavy on a 3 YEAR OLD!!! I weigh 140 right now and im working on losing weight so i can be more balanced on my 3 yr old.

3 year olds are BABIES! I dont care how calm one is, they might be walking quiet one second and exploded and bolting the next. And that weight is entirely too heavy for a baby.

If you are this set on getting a horse for your mom, then you need to get a DRAFT/QH cross. it is the only way that this would even be humane. 10 years old at LEAST.

Please understand this, its for yours, your moms, and the horse's good.

Ashley

Boy oh boy I don't want to come across harsh and I hope I won't but I am very passionate about people that are fixing to have a horse wreck that could have been prevented. I think about Christopher Reeves who knew what he was doing and still we lost him.

I know she wouldnt have a problom. Wanna bet?

Mostly because her weight doesnt really affect her at all.

Oh that's bull, Child. On a horse it surely will.

PAY ATTENTION:

I'm not against fat people cause I am one. And I miss the heck out of riding my BIG VERY STURDY 16+ 1250 pound quarter horse cause I AM TOO BIG and I know it. I have lost my seat, which means I have lost my balance and he'll make chopped liver out of me in a New York minute, old as he is, believe it Little Buddy.

If I had one wish for you it would be to send you to one of those very elite horsemanship schools so that YOU can learn, because I would love to see you with much knowledge in what you love, HORSES. If I hit the powerball, you're on; because you are so very passionate about horses so you deserve to learn and you are not learning at the moment and you should be while you are young. I wish I could get my hands on you for a week by golly and I'd learn ya.

I wish you would memorize what Lyn is trying to tell you and let it sink into your brain. How many different ways can someone explain these things to you and how many people here are trying to tell you things that you are not listening to? People get hurt and killed on horses and this is scarring me to pieces. This "some guy professional" well, I won't even go there, but he should have already addressed these issues to your mother if he was worth his salt.

Take it from someone who is BIG and shrinking thank GOD and exercising that a big green person in a saddle that is disinterested in learning horsemanship the right way without cutting corners is an accident looking for a place to happen. In so many words BIG is BIG and your mother is going to be kissing the ground at the same time she is ruining a horse. Nobody here wants to see your mother get hurt like that much less a horse. We are very concerend for your mother's safety but it sounds like she is not. Ok then.........

Get off the internet trying to find her a horse for pete's sakes and quit looking at quarter horses who mostly are loaded with throughbred in them.

There's a GREAT chance that no 19 inch saddle is going to fit on a quarter horse that you select anyhow. The skirt on that thing will probably be clipping him left and right.

Find a draft horse or a clydesdale or something and be realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Marty why don't you tell us how you really feel
new_shocked.gif
biggrin.gif

Marty is absolutely right on everything she said, just hope it hasnt' fallen on deaf ears because I sure don't want to be hearing about some one getting hurt because they can't or won't listen to good advice.

After i read all this around noon today w/ mom ..we had a nice long chat. After of course i went and cried in the bathroom (the thought of mom falling kinda pulls at the heart strings
wub.gif
). But we had a nice long chat afterward.

Since she found out that i put sammy on the internet for sale ..she flipped and said there was no way i was selling one of my boys to get her a horse. So i now have to remove him from horsetopia (i am glad though, i hated to see that peppy boy go).

We came up w/ a plan. We are going to lay off the horse for now. Mom and i are going to go on a diet over this winter and then maybe next june or july start looking for a riding horse

*last month and Mt. Hope they had a 9yr old QuarterHorse Shire cross and she was about 15.2 hands and around 1,500 pounds. She went for more money then we brought though ..im kinda interested in one of those for myself (QH/shire cross). I think it would have worked out for mom though, but to late now*

Well were going on a diet over the winter and up untill mid summer. Im going to try to loose about 10 pounds and mom is just going to eat healthy and help w/ the barn chores (which we all know is GOOOOOOD exersize).

Marty: That is touching ...brought a tear to my eye. Im planning Going To hocking's college and study Equine health and caretaking year after next. Its a 3 year course full of horse learning. Im planning to be a personal horse groomer or Horse Trainner aide. Something w/ horses ..i just have to be around horses. Then i plan to move to Tennesse or Kentucky. Go back to my southern roots!
biggrin.gif

So thats the plan for now ...mom and i are stuck to it. Also she is spending time w/ the horses while working w/ them so im figuring that will help for the future.
wub.gif

Leeana

This is just my opinion and it's very similar to everyone elses but, heck, why not share, right?

I don't think I would sell my own horse to buy a horse for my mom that my mom wants nothing to do with picking out. If you are going to spend the money and possibly give up one of your own horse don't you want your mom to fall in love with this new horse and be exited about it!?

Don't rush things, you'll find the most perfect horse for your mom in time. You'll know it's the perfect horse when you don't feel you have to come to the forum to ask if everyone feels the horse will work because you'll just have this feeling like, wow this horse is perfect!

Good luck, I can't wait to see a picture of your mom atop her dream horse in hopefully the very near future!

Latest posts

Back