Building Confidence on a "Mom Come Save Me!" Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
Ok. Background - my little guy isn't exactly a rescue, however, he was NOT in an ideal situation. For the first 6 years of his life, he did not leave a one acre "farm," was 100 lbs + overweight, and hadn't had his feet trimmed in at LEAST 2 years. He hated his life hardcore, the family (5+ kids who all mauled him it seems) sold him claimed he wasn't a pocket pet, and you couldn't catch him in a field. I don't think a lot of his needs mentally were met.

Brought him home, he was snotty. Had a few battles of the wills, he realized I don't scare as easy as the 8 yr old who did most of the handling on him, 99% of his habits (biting, bolting, no respect for space, rearing, striking out with front foot) ended after about 2 weeks, when he realized he couldn't make me mad or flustered, nor would i back down or let him have his way. I have done 100% of the work with him, for better or worse, at least i know how every step of his training was done.

Fast forward a year - "Cloudy" is an AWESOME horse who's super bonded to me. He will leave his mares (he's a stud) and meet me at the gate without being called. If he hears me in the barn (he's boarded) he paces and whinnies for me.

Most of his training has been on "de-spooking." Nothing really truly wigs him out. However, this might sound awkward, while he's not afraid, he lacks confidence when put in a new situation, or to figure out something. He's a dominant horse is the field by a lot, but, he sucks at figuring things out (however, it mkaes fencing pretty darn easy!)

At shows (hes been to 3) he gets close. Not spooky, just wayyy closer than he is at home, and not in a disrespectful way. He will only do it to me or my boyfriend, whom he's known equally as long and likes. Other competent horsemen, he's spooky for, however, he won't get neraly as close too.

Another example, working him over fences. On a lunge line, when encountering a new or higher jump, he'll slam on the brakes in front of it (better than ducking out in my book!) turn and look. I go catch him, and if I trot him over it next to him (like in a show) he'll bop right over it. 2 or 3 times later, I put him back out on the lunge, he'll do it. However, no matter how much i push, he will NOT do an obstacle until i literally walk him through it, and every time I introduce something with him, he does it willingly.

This is the main reason we think he is NOT doing well as a driving horse. He's HOT when on the cart or being ground driven, spooky, and downright unsafe. If HE has to do it before "Mom," he does not think he can. He understands the cues,

How in the heck do i fix this? I shouldn't be complaining my horse trusts me, however, what are some good ways for him to realize "it'll be ok if mom's not there?" He needs to be more confident of himself. Does he just need more "miles?"

Last edited by a moderator:
How is he when other horses are around? Some horses that lack confidence driving alone will blossom as a member of a team. It seems that because they are herd animals, some just feel safer with a friend. Later, as he builds confidence, he can be driven single once again.

Are you working him in a open bridle or one with blinders..My little guy does MUCH better without blinders.

He's dominant with other horses, not super bonded, but he does love his little "wife." She has a filly at her side now (his,) so the team idea will need to wait a few more mos.

He's been driven with and without blinders. He goes a little better without, so that's what we do. The problem is not that he's afraid of the cart (he didn't like the shafts at first but we got thought that) it's he's afraid to "go first."

Is the mare a good, bold driver? One that will face it all? He may just need some help from another to gain self confidence out in front.

Sounds like he needs a confidence boost and he needs to learn he needs to stay out of your space.

To do that, I think you need to back up and do some more ground work and then "de-spooking". Obstacle work works wonders! You can do them while on a lead line, lounge line and then while ground driving. Finally, take him on to driving out away from home.

With the jumping - start with above. Then train him like a full size horse. regular work over cavaletti, working up to a jump at the end. Then introduce more jumps in a row (gymnastic exercise). when doing this - use different types of jumps. You can work him on a lead line, lounge line, free jumping in a jumping line or even while ground driving. The main thing is to encourage steady movement w/o hesitation at each obstacle.

Cross rails, verticals w/ ground poles, verticals w/o ground poles, oxers, gates, fences etc. Take him for a walk in a pasture - with different jumps. A ditch. A bush that you set a jump across. Decorate the jumps that you use in different ways. Move the different styles of jumps around. Do full size courses (8 - 10 jumps). Do it one way, then switch the way (order) you go in. Don't jump every day - they can get sore and tired just like a full size horse but you can incorporate some elements of jumping each day (cavalettit work thru a full set of cavaletti one day, cantering on the lounge with just a single pole, another day - a walk about out w/ trotting & cantering in hand - if cross country and you find natural jumps to include banks - do those, but no man made jumps; etc). Make it so the introduction of "new" jumps and obstacles is ho-hum and he "just does them".

Then for driving - I agree - sometimes it does work better to have a partner. But that also means you need to have that one fully trained to drive single and then will have to spend time ground driving them together to get them working well together as a pair before hitching as a pair. And be prepared - if he jumps and or spooks, he can "leap into" his partner - fouling driving lines, harness or putting his leg over the tongue or neck yoke - creating new problems with one or both of your horses. Sometimes, he may hang back while driving as a pair and then forge ahead (generally what the less experienced horse does) - you will need to adjust your driving style to accommodate that - both encouraging him to step up and work, and bringing the other horse who is essentially dragging him at that point, "back"...

Yep, it boils down to working and driving time.

I have trained numerous full sized hunt horses. I know how to train him to jump, the whole steady movement thug etc. I rode 3'9" jumpers for 4 years. They aren't "I don't wanna" refusals, they are "ahhhhh" refusals! Obviously he's only doing "lo and slow," as he's green, but new gymnastic configurations make him refuse.

He is throughly despooked. No plastic bag, gun shot, smoke bomb, bonfire, fireworks, etc will phase him. Will walk over anything, however, i am the only one to ever do despooking with him. ive dealt with too many of other peoples problems on oast horses to just hand him over to someone.

Its the new situation, or thinking on his own that gets him nervous. At home, his confidence level is much higher. Away though, he gets the "I can't do this!" In his head. However, he is not always in my space, just when he gets nervous. He is respectful, don't think he's running me over. (That's rule number 2, of my 3 rules. I don't care how legit the spook was, jump on top of me, you die. The all 4 foot plant or shying away from me is acceptable.) he's just, right on the outside of my bubble, instead of comfortably outside it.

I don't want to build a horse just confident with driving orjumping, iI want a well rounded horse confident in any situation. i dont want to bandaid this. How do I build that? I get the whole " miles " thing, but how else should i build confidence?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just like people... Some people are outgoing in new situations and some people are not "born leaders." Horses have their own distinct personalities and frame of mind.

He obviously isn't confident and you can't easily overcome that basic personality so just give him time. He may never change, but only time will tell.

I think he's smart and is showing a good deal of self-preservation. I'd keep working with him, not hard, don't push. You've already come a long way. If this is all he has to give, I'd take it in a heartbeat and be happy with it.

Latest posts

Back