Horses laying/resting flat out

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I see any of ours like that, mini or large horses, I just check to see if they're breathing. And then just keep peeking at them to be sure they eventually get up and move along. But sometimes I don't see them breathing so I'll call they're name until an eye opens and they look around. I can understand waking them up if you have reason to be concerned. But do understand when they're laying down they're in a deep deep sleep, how would you like to be woken up?

As Saber enjoys coming onto our deck to sun himself I frequently catch him stretched out sleeping.

Today I took a lil video of him dreaming
default_biggrin.png

All of my horses lay out flat. But, one of the mares also holds her legs out strait. I mean 2 legs are off the ground. The first time I saw her I went running out to see why she was dead. Not dead. Just sleeping.

Leia, Just so we are on the same page.....yes!! I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THROWING SMALL ROCKS...Maybe EVEN A LARGE ROCK OR BOLDER....would I actually do it?? Come on what do you think??

Mine do this all the time, too.
default_wub.png
default_biggrin.png

I had a passerby stop one day to let me know that it appeared something was wrong with a lot of my horses
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png
I thanked her profusely for taking the time and assured her they were sleeping. As she was leaving, several got up for her.
default_saludando.gif

I boarded a large appy gelding years ago, and my neighbor - a horse person - called one morning to say he thought I had a dead horse outside the barn. Sure enough, Rebel was just in a deep sleep
default_smile.png

Mine vary as to their sleeping habits, but I have plenty who lay down and sleep full out. The ones who enjoy it the most always seem to be the mares wearing the EquiPage alerts.......which means I get NO sleep that time of year.

I'll take that over what my mare Katie does.She sleeps standing up and then while standing she trips and almost falls repeatedly. This happens

all night long and you could swear that she's going to fall and kill herself.
Narcolepsy. Or as I understand it, not true narcolepsy but sleep deprivation. I have a big paint mare who does this too. Nice mare, but as you say she's always exhausted. We used to have her on camera at night and she would start to sag, knees buckle and then she'd catch herself, wake up....and start all over again. She can't sleep laying down for some reason - she's had a couple of seizures when down, which is kind of freaky, but once she's back up she is fine again.

She never does it under saddle or when she is focused on something.

Jan

My horses do it a lot in the summer in the sun, i dont care just as long as their not down to long im fine with it, but when i walk into the barn in the morning, i find my gelding down he always looks up @ me seeming to say "morning already, hi daddy, who cares lets eat" and then he heeves himself up and saunters over to pee sigh the charm of horses eh?

Back