horses and goats please help me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCaseFamily00

Reaction score
I feed for some people who've become like family,known them along time now. Recently one of them has become very ill and i'v been helping them alot,as a friend. He just had a bone marrow test done and found out his cancer was back and i'm just devasted. He just called and asked if I could take their mini and 2 goats. Can they be in together? I'm limited on space and I wanted to see if any of you have any thoughts. The mini has been foundered and I realize this comes with issues,which i can deal with. I was shocked when he called because these animals are a huge part of their lives. I'm just so sad and lost,sorry.I told them i'd call later after I talked to my husband,who of course said to do whatever I wanted
default_wub.png

Yes they can live together if they get along. Howeve, don't expect the mini to ever expect the mini to have a long luxorious tail and keep im mind worming must be done diligently for both species(this should be done regardless of the situation).

The mini and the goats should do well together. I had a colt in with my goats and they were fine. Some goats do like to chew on their tails though. If the mini is a dominant horse you might have some trouble. My mini won't let the goats in the same field. he chases them down and bites them on the neck. Good Luck! I bet they will be fine together. It is nice that your friend thinks so highly of you to give you his babies. It will be fun.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

If the goats and mini live together now you will know about the tail thing as it will be obvious. Otherwise they will get along fine. You didn't say however if these are full size goats or pygmies. Either way they make wonderful pets and alot of horses love having them around.

I got our goats about a month or so ago. And now I have horses with tails that looks like draft tails. The goats chewed them off overnight. And one of the mini's manes even. The bad part is that they are not even kept together. The minis had to stand next to the fence and let the goats chew away.
default_wacko.png

[SIZE=12pt]I'm so sorry to hear about your friends ill health. I know how difficult this must be for you. My prayers are with you and them.[/SIZE]

Sorry about your friend. We have two goats in with our six minis. They all get along fine. Sometimes the stallion will chase a goat. It is sort of a game. Sometimes the goat starts it. She likes to be chased just to jump up on top of the doghouse or run up the ramp into her hut on stilts. No tail biting. Worst problem is the goats get in the way at horse feeding time. Thieves. Have to outsmart them.

The goats have been in a lot next to ths mini so I think they will be ok. The goats are full size,one is older and one is young. The mini is very laid back. I'm thinking about splitting the lot in half,we'll see how it goes. Part of the lot is done in cattle panels,can they get over them? .I never thought they'd let their animals go. My grandma,she still rides,is taking one of the big horses,they're gonna sell the other one.What type of wormer do you use on goats?Any advice is welcome,thanks everyone.I think we might go get them tomorrow,if we do i'll let ya know how it goes.

The goats have been in a lot next to ths mini so I think they will be ok. The goats are full size,one is older and one is young. The mini is very laid back. I'm thinking about splitting the lot in half,we'll see how it goes. Part of the lot is done in cattle panels,can they get over them? .I never thought they'd let their animals go. My grandma,she still rides,is taking one of the big horses,they're gonna sell the other one.What type of wormer do you use on goats?Any advice is welcome,thanks everyone.I think we might go get them tomorrow,if we do i'll let ya know how it goes.
You can buy feed that has wormer already in it or you can use ivermectin.

I also have a goat and two llamas that fraternize with my miniatures. They all get along very well. (I have been fortunate enough not to have any tails chewed off!)

That is very nice of you to give them a home, this way your friend will not have to worry about how they are doing, and I am sure you will enjoy the new additions to your family.

The goats get a liquid wormer, I believe just once a year. The only other thing I make sure to do with them is to use a de-lice powder once or twice a year, especially if you use straw for bedding.

Other than that they are pretty easy keepers, and can be pretty affectionate too.

It is a nice thing you are doing!
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
They live just a couple miles away and of course can see the animals anytime. I'm praying he gets better and the can reunite with the animals again.My husband bless his heart, just takes the animals as they come and helps with the bills
default_cheekkiss.gif
. I'v been helping feed their animals alot and really hate to see them let them go,because they love them so much. I guess they must feel like they have to,I hate to question ya know.I'v told them i'm here for them however I can help,not much else I can do.

We have two pygmy goats, but they have never shown any interest in eating mane or tail hair. They want grass, hay and grain. One of them, the female, will threaten the occasional horse, but if the horses go after them even once, Gidget leaves them alone. She mostly just walks by the stall doors of the ones that don't threaten her and butts the doors.
default_rolleyes.gif

Our goats are dewormed every time our horses are.

No advice to offer, just wanted to say thanks for being such a good neighbor. You don't see that kind real often any more.

Bless you for helping your neighbor......

Here's my 2 cents regarding a goat with the minis, just from personal experience........ (We have one nutty buck in with our minis right now.)

1. Good fencing for your goat(s) to keep them apart from the horses is a good idea unless you plan on feeding them all the same. Since your new mini has a founder background you probably won't be feeding grain - which is a good idea.....see number THREE.

2. SOME goats will chew on horse tails, some won't....(ours doesn't.)

3. Any grain fed to horses that is shared with Goats (or sheep) should NOT have any COPPER on the label.

They get their feed frm the same place I do so I figured I'd keep them on what they're used to. I know the younger goat had diarrhea awhile back and she cut back the feed the were getting. She was also feeding pretty rich hay.She's been feeding the mini 1/2 cup oats and 1/2 cup sweet feed,and she gets an alfalfa mix hay
default_unsure.png
2 x a day.

We had our minis with two goats and both had horns. I found as long as the goats were use to horses (sounds like these two goats are) then its OK inmost cases. I was more worried about the goats using their horns on the horses, but they were just fine and I found the goats kept outta the horses way.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Hope all goes well.

Things are going good.They called this morning and asked if we'd take their big horse to.Before the day was over we ended up with 2 goats, a mini, a big horse and a cat,lol.It's been a emotional weekend but now they can focus on him healing,they've got a hard road ahead
default_sad.png
.Everyone is settled in,and quieted down.We like to keep newbies seperated by a fence to ease the transition,less fighting this way.Thanks everyone!

You are so nice to help your neighbor- bless you for that.

I would not keep the goats in with the horse- they DO have a tendancy to eat manes and tails off. Also, some horses just dont tolerate another specie in with them, especially at feeding time.

I sure hope your neighbor recovers- sounds pretty bad.

The goat and mini are doing well,could care less about eachother
default_aktion033.gif
. Our friends came out today and brought their papers and info for them. They seemed happy to see they had settled in.

Back