Horses and age...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wantminimore

Reaction score
For some reason I don't think my horses age as fast as they really do, I seen to think they are close to the same age as when I get them, lol. I sure know that I age but I just looked up my horses and wrote down their ages and i'm surprised that I have 2 that are now 13 years old. I know thta 13 isn't old but it just surprised me, and my very first mini and my favorite one although he can be a trouble maker is now 7, i've had him since he was weaned, how the time flies.

Does anyone else do this?

I know exactly what you're talking about! Every year when I have to adjust my mind to think of the horses as a year older, I'm surprised by how old they are "supposed" to be. It's especially true of the horses that were born here; for example, our mare Tissy is 16 this year and she's always been a mama's girl, so when she comes trotting over same as ever it's really hard for me to look at that sweet face I know so well and accept that many would consider her a senior. It's probably the same reason why I wait until my homebred fillies are 5 or 6 (or more) to breed them the first time - it takes a really long time for me to stop feeling like they're babies. I've got a paddock with a 2 year old, two 3 year olds and a 4 year old right now and I always refer to that group as "The Babies."

I have a mare who turns 7 this yr but still acts like a yrling/ 2 yr old. And her daughter who is turning 3, acts like a weanling/ yrling. Getting older in age BUT younger in personality!

I know the feeling lol my first miniature Sampson was purchased when he was only 2 months old and I can't believe he is 7 this year! I can remember him being so little and a baby and its hard to believe I am waiting on his 4th foal this year!

Back