Horse wormer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I noticed my cat has tape worms.Can I give her Ivermectine? How much? Or do you reccomend sthing else?

[SIZE=12pt]No.... [/SIZE]

You can NOT.... utilize equine paste wormers on dogs or cats. It will literally kill them. It affects there [SIZE=12pt]neurological system.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Please research the information on line.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I'd suggest that you contact your vet regarding your cat. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasnt sure. I know some wormers are ok for dogs. I found stuff online but wasnt sure. We do have a vet appointment for our dog next wk. But this is for our farm cats. Not really easy going to the vet!!! My vet is good about giving me what I need for the farm cats but if I could find something on hand it would be great

Be sure to spell out your needs with your vet......... We've explained to our vet that our barn cat(s) need tape worm meds, give him the estimated weight(s) and he provides pills.

As for giving Ivomec to other animals? It can be given to cows, horses, and MOST breeds of dogs - according to their weight. There are certain dog breeds that one should NEVER give it to. Your vet can advise you with that. I don't know about cats.

I noticed my cat has tape worms.Can I give her Ivermectine? How much? Or do you reccomend sthing else?
I have never used Ivermectin on cats but I have cattle Liquid Ivermectin that I have been using on my dog now for years, as that is all heart worm meds are~!!! And that was told to me by a vet tech who has been doing this for years on her dogs. Liquid Ivermectin now for cattle use.

Our pet store doesnt have anything for tape worms. Jeffers has it but I am going to the vet in a few days. Shipping wuold take longer

Be careful with ivermectin. Even though it is used as a heartworm med it can cause death-seizures and such in herding dogs especially Aussies!
default_unsure.png

You need a product that contains Praziquantel for tapeworms. If your feed store doesn't carry it, then yes, either your vet or order it will be necessary.

Hi,

Talking with your vet is best as they can give you specifics on the seasonal rotation for your area, but there are a couple of different options if your clinic is not willing to dispense pills without inspecting the animals (as most veterinarians would want to do unless they had seen the cats in the past). Of course you can run this by your vet, but I use liquid de-wormer for Sheep and Dairy Goats on all of my barn cats throughout the year. It is safe for cats and there are several different brands available from either your local farm/ranch supply or online. Prescription pills from the vet can get pricey over time and depending on how many barn cats you need to treat this might be a good option for you.

I have my cats on the same rotation as my horses and I give them this liquid wormer every 3 months, for the ones that have persistant tapeworms I give them the crushed dronsit pills (from your vet) in the spring to knock them out!!! This is much more cost effective and the entire bottle costs only a fraction of what a prescription does, and if stored appropriately should last 6-9 months (depending on the brand). There is plenty to dose several cats, please just make sure you calculate your dosing according to the approximate weight of each cat. If you need assistance after speaking with your vet feel free to PM me and I will help you with your dosing
default_saludando.gif

Ivermectin does not kill Tapeworms, anyway
default_wink.png

You can use Fenbendazole on dogs and cats without a problem, but it only does round worms, too.

I would not use Ivermectin in dogs (it is not licensed for canine use in Europe, even though my Vet used it on Greyhounds with no problems)

I agree, go through your vet. Many medications that dogs can tolerate can NOT be used on cats. Their systems are entirely different. And I agree also, that ivermectin can be deadly with certain dog breeds.

Thanks. I will ask the vet. I just thought thier would be something for right now. They are farm cats but I can catch them. Heck they even sleep in the spare bedroom at night. But puttin them in a cage is a whole other story. And usuaally my vbet is good about givin meds wout seeing my farm cats. Esp since I am a repeat customer
default_wub.png

Thanks

I do my barn cats with the stuff you put on their necks, it's a liquid and does tapes and roundworms.

My barn kitties would not let me put them in a box, either!!!

Well, not and still have all my fingers, anyway!!
default_rolleyes.gif

I have no idea regarding deworming cats.

For others, though, I do know that you can use Safeguard goat dewormer for dogs and it is MUCH cheaper than Safeguard packaged for dogs. I beleive (but check before using) that the dosage is 1cc per 5# of dog.

My vet told me that Ivermectin can kill Shelties and collies also. I'd check with the vet.

My vet told me that Ivermectin can kill Shelties and collies also. I'd check with the vet.
It can kill collies, shelties, aussies, etc., if they carry the MDR1 gene. If they do, it will kill them. The only way to know if they carry it is to test them.

I have never used Ivermectin on cats but I have cattle Liquid Ivermectin that I have been using on my dog now for years, as that is all heart worm meds are~!!! And that was told to me by a vet tech who has been doing this for years on her dogs. Liquid Ivermectin now for cattle use.
Not all heartworm medicine has ivermectin. The heartworm med we use, Interceptor, contains NO ivermectin.

Doesn't Moxidectin do heart worm???

Not that I am recommending it, you understand!!

Latest posts

Back