Horse wormer and a dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
I wormed the horses tonight and had put 2 empty tubes in my jacket pocket. While fixing dinner my 10 month old, 10 pound dog pulled my jacket down and got the tubes out of the pocket, he had chewed on them for awhile. I did see him but from where I was it looked like his new white bone. I know there is some wormer left behind but not much. Is just a little too much for him? He did get them cracked open and the tube was flat.

Any ideas?

Lesson learned: small dog can jump high enough to get a jacket off of a hanger and unsnap the pocket!!

It depends on the wormer and on the breed of dog, some herding breeds are sensetive to ivermectin. Otherwise I don't think it would hurt, unless it was moxidectin (Quest).

It was ivermectin, I really doubt there was much in there, my concern was his small size and getting any. He is a shi-poo. I've got him eating now hopefully to help absorb.

Considering his breed, and you doubt he got much, there probably won't be a problem......Obviously watch him though.

When we were treating our Lab mix (he's not very big) for mange, he was getting liquid ivermectin DAILY..... From what I've been told it's Dalmations and certain herding dogs that are sensitive to it.

One time my 60lb. boxer (one of the 'white feet, don't treat' breeds) got a full tube and chewed it. Luckily she didn't chew it too badly, but she did ingest some. I think she got about 100 horse pounds worth (just a rough guess, I did not use the tube after) and she was fine. I kept a very close eye on her for a few days and nothing was out of the ordinary. I would make sure you little guy is all normal, but he probably didn't get much. After the plunger goes through the tube there is not very much left in them at all, so don't stress too much. L

One time my 60lb. boxer (one of the 'white feet, don't treat' breeds)
Like Miniv we had to treat our boxer pup (she was 7 months at the time) with the liquid ivermectin for red mange and she did just fine on it for 8 weeks. She has 4 white feet, so I am not sure how the white feet thing works?

One time my 60lb. boxer (one of the 'white feet, don't treat' breeds)
Like Miniv we had to treat our boxer pup (she was 7 months at the time) with the liquid ivermectin for red mange and she did just fine on it for 8 weeks. She has 4 white feet, so I am not sure how the white feet thing works?
I've always been under the impression that the "white feet, don't treat" is referring to herding breeds, as it seems that its mostly the herding breeds (Aussies, Border Collies, Collies, Corgis, etc) that may have issues with ivermectin.

Keep an eye out like everyone has stated - since your dog is small it can effect it.

I have heard of some that have no problem with it and others that do.

If your really worried about it hydro peroxide will induce vomiting will only need a tiny bit maybe a couple cc's and it will occur quickly - like put dog in tub then give it and wait... I would ONLY use this in extreme cases

Yes you can use peroxide to make a dog throw up but I would check with my vet first. We had to try that with Angel too
default_rolleyes.gif
she got a couch cushion and took the cover off in strips and swallowed them
default_new_shocked.gif
She threw up a little and we did not think it was enough. Did not want it going thru her intestines and getting tangled up in there. Vet said give her some peroxide until she throws up the rest of the material. Poor thing was so sick. She is my trouble child but I do love her
default_wub.png

How is your little dog today Carolyn?

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't 'just' herding breeds that are sensitive to ivermectin, though it seems to be most common in the Australian Shepherd and Collie breeds.

My vet had a Basenji breeder who decided to treat them with ivermectin for worms/fleas/heartworm. Every single dog that the breeder treated was put in the clinic for the weekend with hind end paralysis, blindness and vomiting. Yes, they all recovered, but....and yes, the breeder overdosed them, but it was not a lot that the person gave them.....

I know a few breeders in the US of Cardigan Corgis who use and have used ivermectin for years with no ill effects. There is also a breeder of Collies (who is also a vet) who has been successfully using ivermectin, and that is one of the most affected breeds to ivermectin sensitivity.

Boxers are frequently treated with ivermectin, so they are not one of 'the' breeds...though I'm sure there are some boxers who could be sensitive as well.

As an fyi for anyone interested, there is a new dna test out of Washington State that can tell you if your dog has a sensitivity to ivermectin

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/

~kathryn

He really is fine, never seemed to act any different. I would think if it were going to bother him it would of by now.

Thanks for your help and info!

Glad the doggy is ok. My hubby got Ivermectin overload several months ago.
default_new_shocked.gif
Not joking, he really did. He had used it to worm our two big dogs and then put the tube of it in his jeans pocket and forgot about it. During the course of the day the tube broke and the cream seaped out and what did not get soaked into the pocket lining went into his skin. He did not know until he undressed that evening to shower. Long story short he truly got de-wormed. He had to go to the bathroom several times a day for the next few days. After what he went through if I get the least amount of Ivermectin on my fingers I wash and wash. We laugh about it now but back then it was very scary.

Back