Horse standing with right back leg WAY back possible problem?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintsRule

Reaction score
Hi, sorry I only post here occaisionally that dang work thing has it so I don't have much spare time. I know there a whole bunch of very knowledgeable people here, was wondering about this mare. Actually have an older mare (12 ) that has been cribbing forever (we have adjusted her diet to help, they tried a shock collar and in fact I believe damaged her flap in her throat, BAD thing, I feel bad, so when we got her, she was coughing and had trouble breathing. I accidently discovered that putting a throat latch sweat on, stops the coughing and improved her breathing, so she actually runs and plays, so figure the shock collar got turned around and burnt shocked her neck til it damaged the muscles around her flap-owners said this happened one night, can you imagine??...... anyways, the throat latch just about cures the throat/breathing problems, and aside from diet, I let her crib)

Sorry for rambling anyways, SHE stands with right back leg WAY back, especially when cribbing. I have noticed recently NOW a 3 year old half sister, has started standing in her stall with right back leg WAY back, I mean stretched way back. ANd the left hind right under her tummy. She moves well, hasnt been colicy, and doesnt crib, but am afraid that MAYBE this is a sign of ulcer-trying to get the pain to be better....... anyone have any ideas?

Weird a friend has a half brother also (same sires) that cribs also and he stands that same way! I am imagining that MAYBE its to relieve ulcer/tummy pain.

I really don't know what to tell you. I've seen some performance horses that were used too hard and would stand spread out like they were about to urinate. I think it was to relieve some of the pressure in their back, but I've never seen one stand like you are talking. It could be to relieve pain of some sort, and it could possibly be a genetic thing if it's only horses of this line doing it??? Maybe someone else can help you out some.

Have no idea about YOUR situation because it is a bit unusual.......However, normally a horse will stretch their back legs out to releave discomfort, usually during a mild colicy episode.

MA

I have owned several cribbers most dont want to deal with them and the horses end up going to me for a pretty good price
default_yes.gif
: I cant say that I notice my T/B wiht one back leg farther back he does stretch out with both a bit while cribbing but it is to really be able to pull back at the same time he sucks air not sure if that makes sense to most but those with cribbers will get what i mean
default_wink.png
:

Another thing to look at is horses who tend to keep a leg straight back can have some stifle issues as well.

My guess would be a locking stifle especially since 2 related horses are doing the same thing.this problem tends to be caused by conformation which is heredity.I have had some horses who stand the same way.I'm not a vet just a Mini owner with almost 20 years of experience with the little guys.good luck with your Minis.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with locking stifle, as this horse is not at all lame, and is not moving any differently. My friend who has the other thinks he is only doing it to balance when cribbing, NEVER does it any other time. My guess is tummy upset. But who knows. It is stretched right out.

ALso the horses in question are full sized Paint horses, and we have full siblings that are fine. Again they move fine, just wondering if maybe its to relieve pain in the tummy......

And this is not straight back, this is as far back as they can reach here is a picture of one of them, but she puts it much farther back when she cribs.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, how she is standing isn't alarming. She looks like she's "just" standing... I think when they are colic or ulcer bothered, whent they stretch it is their whole body. I have a mare who does it occasionally. Not that "dog" stretch they do when they first get up really but kind of parks BOTH legs out back and then reaches the front legs forward so the truck of her body is stretched. I have not seen her do this in years, and seemed to be stress related in the case of my horse.

Others may have some additional or different advice, but based on the picture, personally, that posture wouldn't concern me in one of my own horses.

Hi. Bob my young gelding is doing this at the moment BUT it is def. related to pain in the groin. I am no expert but thought that this would help. Bob didnt want to move - basically wanting to leave his back legs where they were and stretching is body out from that one point. He is now on penacillin. Maybe your horse is in some kinda pain? Kerrie

I am thinking pain in the tummy, I wonder how the stomach,caecum and intestines are positioned. When standing like that, the horse can walk off, or even trot no problem, so doesnt appear to be leg/stifle/groin problem. What really surprised me, is I noticed this mare, who does crib, and the 3 year old, who doesnt, and when I mentioned it, another friend piped up and said her gelding that does crib, does the same thing. The funny thing is, that they ALL do it with the right hind, and always the same leg. I find it very unusual. I have not seen the 3 year old do it more then 2 or 3 times, so maybe tummy upset on those days?... the other two crib, and since there is research to link cribbing to ulcers, was figuring that it is probably the most comfy way to stand to relieve pain in the tummy........ will have to keep an eye on them. I am just worried to death that the little 3 year old might have tummy problems, and start cribbing, would rather treat for ulcers, and see if it helps, if she makes a habit of doing it......

Wow, was doing some research and came across a webpage, and the gal was asking all these questions, and the right side always came up, does your horse seem curved to the right, all the time, does it take the right lead better then the left, etc, and she goes on to talk about ulcers. I have emailed her to see if she has had any info on the holding the leg way back on the right side...... maybe I will have my answer!

Here is the link, its very interesting!

http://www.lunatunesfreestyles.com/Ulcers,...and%20hocks.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]I have a 15 year old full size paint mare who has cribbed her whole life due to neglect when she was younger. When she cribs she does stand with one leg extended back, this seems to help he grip and pull back harder. I'm not sure whether you are talking about a mini or full size horse, but kinda concerned as to why you are letting this horse crib. Your posts say that an electric cribber may have damaged her flap? Are you using a miracle collar on her? I believe they make these in smaller sizes now if we're talking about a mini. If not a muzzle can sometimes work. If you are letting her crib she is getting small air pockets in her intestines that could cause colic or pain. I would suggest you do everything possible to help her from being able to crib. I tried alot of things with my mare, and I would be happy to suggest some things. But the best thing I have found is to keep her content with her turnout time and who she's being turned out with. Hope this helps a little.[/SIZE]

No I have done enough research to know that cribbing is CAUSED by tummy problems, and have found this to be true. I have had a 22 year old cribber here, and as long as you fix their diet, so they are not getting irritated, cribbing does them no harm. If she lived to 22 (and older, as far as I know she is still going strong at 25+ and started cribbing at 2) with most of that being with no collar, without colicing then the theory that cribbing puts air in their stomaches, doesnt make much sense. They would blow up if they got air in their stomachs from cribbing, as horses cant burp and their stomaches would be huge!!!!

The cribbing is not what causes the colic, the stomach problems both cause the cribbing and colic. ONe of the mares I am concerned about DOESNT crib and stands this way occaisionally, so I know she is not standing like that to brace herself. But for instance if this mare that DOES crib, was in pain, and standing like that helps relieve the pain, and cribbing does too, then so be it. The mare that DOES crib that had the shock collar, didnt even crib for 2 months after we got her here, we changed her diet and she was no longer in pain. This mare came to us last spring, and she had been prone to colic, and has not coliced once since she came here. She is on free choice hay and has had her diet changed to help. We have removed all molasses from our ration and have added alfalfa and oil to our ration and that helps plenty. We have 2 cribbers here, one is 7 years old, and this mare, and no colic in neither. I feel that if the new research linking stomach ulcers to the CAUSE of cribbing, is true, then putting a collar on them is cruel. This mare is a prime example, I will NOT put a collar to stop cribbing on her. She NEEDS the throat latch sweat on or she coughs and hacks when she eats or drinks, and cant breath correctly. No way am I removing that, to put a cribbing collar on.

By the way these are all full sized Paints.

:new_shocked: You have a cribber? Not good, not good at all. My cousin had a horse RJ, who cribbed his whole life, or the few years he did have. They never really tried to correct his habit, and he ended up giving himself a heart attack by cribbing (the vet said he inhaled too much air and it affected his heart). He was only 9 years old and my cousin was standing right there as he died basically standing up.

But he also stood with his leg out stretched. I can't remember what leg was behind his body, but it helped to balance him as he leaned back to inhale air. It is very common for them to do this.

Latest posts

Back