Horse Sedation with an Oral Gel (AAEP 2010)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rabbit - I am not a vet, but to the best of my knowledge, the only sedative that is contraindicated (meaning do NOT use) in male horses is Acepromazine. This product is Dormosedan, which I have used several times in stallions, with no problems. But as always, check with your vet. Since we have to get it from a vet here in TX (and I assume the entire USA), I recommend asking the vet for dosage and instructions.

I so could have used this today to finish clipping a mare! I actually had a small dose of dormosedan from the vet that I gave orally but evidently it was too small a dose or she is particularly resistant to sedation. Nice mare but deadly with her heels and I don't move as fast as I used to. Will have to ask my vet if she has it on hand.

Jan

Acepromazine is in a class of drugs called phenothiazines. Dormosedan is in the class of drugs called alpha 2, other drugs in that class are Rompun (xylazine) and Dexdomitor.

Aplha 2's do not have the potential for side effect that phenothiazines do for stallions/geldings.

Alpha 2's can be absorbed by humans through mucus membranes or areas of broken skin. This oral gel has the potential of being a human health risk as now touching the drug is far more likely than when it is in a bottle/syringe and given as a shot.

Dr Taylor

I used for the first time this week. Had to have a dentist out to extract a tooth. My mare is real lightweight, when comes to sedatives. She also has reactions to most shots. So this worked out great. My cost from vet was 28.00 a tube.

Would use again.

The lady vet here in town said it would only be provided if she came to the farm and saw the horse? (Got to get your farm call $$$$"S)

I am going to the Exeter vet next week for another matter with a pup and will talk to them.

I have been given powdered flunixin to have on hand.

Would this product be safer to use to sedate a mare to ultrasound for pregnancy? I always ask my vet to sedate, just wondering if this product would get to the fetus and cause any harm

Safer than what? As far as I know, its as safe as any other sedative.

Sue: I e-mailed my Vet last evening after reading about this product, and his reply was that they (his office) opted to not have this on hand because of the potentially (human)improper usage he had been informed of. He did say, however, that they can easily make basically the same product with Dormosedan (detomidine).

Wait, so THIS product is dangerous, but he can make the same thing himself (same drug and everything) and its perfectly safe? Sounds like he just wants you to buy his product, not a competitor. This makes no sense at all. I'd question that doc then find a new doctor if his answer is the same. That's unacceptable.

You got to be kidding me. Drugging horses for things like clipping and bathing. I'm flabbergasted. Drugs instead of patience???????

I'm with you Lavern-I had no idea so many people used it for clipping, trimming, and bathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just don't get it. How could anyone be excited to give a horse a drug??????????

I know my ponies and their temperment, its in some way part of the reason why I selected them and while I "wish" they were total deadheads and looked at you all lovey dovey googly eyed - they don't. Every year There is atleast one-two ponies that need to be sedated for clipping, and I guess im just excited to try something new as these horses are also the ones that are a nightmare to give shots too...

So yes - I'm excited to try this and see if it works.

I have patience, more then most people I would imagine, however....Im not going to spend all day trying to clip 1 ear or 1 leg.

..and I do not sedate them because I want to, I do it because I need to. I can think of other ways to use that $10 bucks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Its exciting to have a better option in your pocket
default_smile.png
Its expensive having a vet come out and give a shot, if you aren't comfortable with it. This is a very easy, potent, and user-friendly method of sedation.

Well to each his own, but there seems to be something wrong with this picture, here we are raising the family small equine and we have to resort to dope to handle them. I have had two that were nuts in the head and I never was able to bring them around with patience. Some one would have gotten hurt if I had sold them so I had Doc put them to sleep. I had lots of offers on the one, but Doc would not give me health on her either because he agreed that someone kid would get hurt for sure. I guess everyone looks at it differently. I figure if a horse isn't well behaved enough to let you clip it it should not be in a show arena. Maybe I'm way off here.

After 60 continuous years with horses, I'm with you, LaVern, and don't think you are at ALL 'way-off'in your feelings on this.

Margo

rcfarm - just FYI, my vet does NOT recommend this product for teeth (or any other mouth) work because it can be absorbed through your and the vet's skin.

Fortunately, my vets trust me not to abuse/use this product on myself (where do druggies come up with these ideas?). I took great lengths to make sure that both hands were gloved when I administered it. I really didn't want to keel over while clipping
default_wacko.png

While I do use patience whenever possible, I'd rather sedate the horse gently (usually a youngster) than take hours to try to get the job done the first time. If I need to sedate the first one or two times they are clipped, I find that by the second or third time they are clipped, sedation is no longer necessary.

I can assure you that any horse of mine that gets shown a bit will eventually stand on their own, patiently, while we are clipping them.

Wow, I sure would have loved a product like that when I had horses. My beloved Arab mare, who hated her ears clipped might have benefited from it. She died at age 36, and NEVER let me clip without a big fuss. I had a little mini stallion who didn't like his legs clipped, LOL.

Latest posts

Back