Horse Sedation with an Oral Gel (AAEP 2010)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes this is an outstanding product for horses! While I don't come across many horses that are so needle phobic I can't get a needle in them, there are those that will hurt you if you try. This is an awesome new method for vets and horse owners to sedate these hard to poke horses!
default_aktion033.gif

My vet sold me a tube of this 6 weeks ago to sedate a colt that needed his feet trimmed and was being a real pain. He doesn't mind being in the cross ties and loves to be brushed and fooled with, just was giving me a fit over his trimming. He was gelded two weeks ago, hope his temperment improves, but this stuff is great, just put it under the tongue, wait twenty minutes and do what you need to do. Well worth the money. Saved me & the farrier a lot of sore muscles.

I saw this for the first time this year at the TB farm I foal at. My boss says its wonderful!! And a lot cheaper than a bottle of Detomadine, which can run $140 bucks!! Of course, that's a lot more doses than this tube, but the tube is much easier to swallow (so to speak) if you only need it very rarely. Sounds like a home run product
default_smile.png

My vet told me about this. Sounds like a great product and I will be having some on hand.

I got my first tube of this product last week and used it to help clip some yearlings. It is a wonderful product and worked beautifully. Remember to use gloves with it or you might be snoozing along with your horse
default_wink.png

do you buy it from your vet or what. This sounds like something for two of my clients horses that just hate having their hooves done. DArn near kill me kicking and rearing.

Yes, I got it from my vet. It was about $26.00 USD and contains 3ml. I found that 0.75ml worked well on 31" yearlings and 1.0ml worked on a 32.50" two year old. 1.0ml should dose a 330lb mini. I did try 0.5ml on one of the yearlings and it wasn't enough. The yearlings were pretty much unbroken and 'resistant' to clipping. The two year old had been clipped twice the year before. It took about 25 mins to take effect and lasted long enough to get them body clipped completely (~1 hour).

Last edited by a moderator:
I just read about this product as well and wondered what the dosage would be for miniatures.

THanks for the feedback. Wonder if we can get it here in Ontario, Canada?

Is this product the same as Dormosadan? I bought Dorm in a gel from my vet last August and love it! You DO have to get it under their tongue or it will either not work or take forever to take affect. My vet down here does not carry it, so I bought it from a friend whose vet carries it...lol
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Dormosadan is the brand name, detomadine is the drug name. The gel is actually sold under the Dormosadan name.

Like Banamine and flunixin.
default_smile.png

do you buy it from your vet or what. This sounds like something for two of my clients horses that just hate having their hooves done. DArn near kill me kicking and rearing.
I e-mailed my Vet last evening after reading about this product, and his reply was that they (his office) opted to not have this on hand because of the potentially (human)improper usage he had been informed of. He did say, however, that they can easily make basically the same product with Dormosedan (detomidine).

This stuff has been wonderful! I got it from my vet. All my horses are easy to clip and bathe and do their feet, and then there's my senior stallion. This guy is just fine with farrier, clipping, bathing, EXCEPT for any where within six inches of his ears, and that includes the bridle path, unfortunately, and the upper cheeks, and the ears themselves. He would need to be crosstied, head low, and put into a stanchion, WITH a twitch on him to get his upper bridal path and ears done. He was this way when I bought him, and the seller warned me. She wasn't kidding! Since we didn't show him the ear clipping wasn't critical but I insist on a clean bridal path. It was just torture for him AND me!

Once I tried this stuff, it was amazing! Not only got the bridal path and ears clipped beautifully, but I got his sheath cleaned, too!

As with any drug or med, especially those of a narcotic nature, it's not something I would want to use regularly with any horse, and I personally would not use it on horses a year old or younger, whether they say it's safe or not.

But now I can get this horse's mane clipped without waiting for the vet to come and float his teeth and taking advantage of the Rompin-induced lethargy for a bridal path clip!

Acepromazine (Ace) is what you want to stay away from in stallions.

This product worked fine on yearlings for me, no danger.

I did not get it under the tongue and it still worked well.

I was talking to a vet today about the product.

I think she possibly has little experience with Miniature horses.

She said dosage amount would be hard to judge as you didn't want to give too much and that if a stallion he may drop and may not retract?

Interesting article. I passed it along to a breeder that bought our PiA mare. Horrid to try and trim her back feet, hopefully this will help them.

Thanks for posting it!

I was talking to a vet today about the product.

I think she possibly has little experience with Miniature horses.

She said dosage amount would be hard to judge as you didn't want to give too much and that if a stallion he may drop and may not retract?
This "prolapse" danger is exactly why I will never, ever use any acepromazine based drug on a male- so, I ask again, is this stuff safe to use on males, has it actually been tested to be safe?

If not then there is an inherent danger that goes way beyond the danger you always get with any sedation.

Myself, I would much rather twitch every time than ever use sedation.

About using this product on male horses, my vet before selling me this product, used a weight tape and fitted the product to his weight. when I admistered it to my colt, he didn't even drop his penis, just got really relaxed kind of like he had one too many beers. He was a little sweaty on his neck, but it so relaxed him that we got his feet trimmed with no fighting. Saved my back and the farrier. The next week he was gelded and hopfully I won't need this product again, but if I need it, I will use it, as all of these years I have fought to train horses to be have and some just don't want to and it must be done. This product is a life saver for us senior citizens, I will use this product for a mare of ours that we show, and even with a twitch will give us a fit for her ears. glory be to this stuff, after fighting with horses for over thirty years, this stuff is a god send.

Latest posts

Back