Horse Sedation with an Oral Gel (AAEP 2010)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sue's vet is most likely using Dr. Taylor's excuse of not wanting to buy the product for one client and have it sit on the shelves (which I doubt it will once more horse owners hear about it). The excuse is poor at best but as a RVT with 13 years experience in private practice and academia, it's one I hear a lot.

Detomidine would be a poor choice for human use. I can not imagine it would be a fun drug to abuse when there are much better choices (not that I know from personal experience) that already have their street value. Plain and simple, he doesn't want to invest in another product when he has the exact same product in injectable. There is also the safety and liability of the product as it is absorbed through the skin. So one would have to trust that their clients could follow directions and use gloves to administer.

either way, its a great product that I am glad is on the market and I personally can't wait to try it. Its perfect for the client that has a phobic horse that can't have the vet come out for every farrier visit or ear trimming session. Vets have more important things to do and not enough time in the day.

Latest posts

Back