Horse poop eatting dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepipony

Reaction score
K, long story short. My Heeler has been having 'back' problems for a year. Its transient, he will wake up whining, but by the time he gets to a Vet, he is fine. It can bee weeks between bouts. He has been x-rayed, palpated, looked over, tested etc, is to go be MRI'd in 2 weeks. Come to figure out, I think he is gorging on horse poop, its expanding, he is sore untill he poops and voila, no more sore. I figured this all out this morning when he could hardly get outside, then had a Jurassic poop and is spry and fine.

Is there a feed through 'anything' that I can feed the horses to stop this? I cannot make him quit since he is outside a bit. And I cannot go pick everything up as we border a cattle pasture as well. Any ideas?

How old is your dog?

Older dogs sometimes have more difficulty passing stool (people too)

Personally, I would doubt it was horse poo keeping your dog from going as since its plant matter based it often can help with the passing of stools.

If you aren't against it you may wish to give your dog a warm water enema from time to time when you either know he's not going or when he may be sore.

I always thought horse poop was good for dogs. THe enzymes in it are beneficial. But maybe too much is not good. I hope he feels better soon.

He is just barely 2.5 yrs. He is the only dog that seems to have a problem with eatting the poop. Probably because he knows he shouldnt be doing it and gorges himself. It may not be the problem, it still may be his back, it just seems to fit. For now LOL

I have a dog that easily constipates when this happens I give him canned pumpkin with his food and this sure helps him. Don't know if it will help you but just a thought.

I know they make a product to give the dogs so they don't eat their own "poop", it's called "distaste". You mix it into there food. Maybe ask your vet if they make something similar for the horses?

They make a product for horses to break horses from consuming their fecal matter, foals do this most often. But not sure it would work for the dog. He may think it still smells/tastes ok.

Most often when a foal does this they are picking up bacteria for gut development an usually stop in a very short time. So, does your dog get a vit/min? Could he be eating beet pulp? Are you sure it's the poop and not something within his colon causing a blockage? I see you've had lots of tests, X-rays, etc. seems they are looking for such a thing
default_smile.png

Could you pen the dog away from manure for a few days and see if this "solves" the problem? I'm with the others about it, since manure from horse/cow is mainly "grass". Were any of the horses wormed with ivermectrin recently? Could a chemical such as that be causing it? Hoof trimmings?

Weird. My min pin doesn't eat the poop but, like to grab an apple and "play with it". She will chew on hoof trimmings!

Let us know what you find out, please. Hope the dog gets regulated
default_wub.png

Since its such a transient problem, its hard to dx, we all thought it was a back/hip/joint issue. Then we thought impacted anal glands, but I have them expressed every other week and this is still happening. When he is up with me, this rarely happened, but now with the weather, he is out and about more, so its happening more. THe other day I cought him inhaling poop, not taking the time to enjoy one, but wolfing it down. And he isnt a thin dog to begin with, he is , umm, fluffy
default_rolleyes.gif
I will be keeing the Big Vet appointment, I would rather it be a simple thing like eatting poop. My luck it will be a $3000 disc problem.

Back