Pregnant horses seizuring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No further seizures but interestingly also no rainy days either. There seems to be a link with wet. It's been freezing cold, but no precipitation and the cold by itself doesn't set them off, just when it is cold and wet together. The horses have equine mineral and salt blocks, no leaves on the trees here for at least a few weeks. Will be getting blood tests done this week. Will update with any results. The vet is unsure what to test for, so I'll start with Calcium, magnesium, selenium and see what else seems possible. thanks everyone.

A little update on my two mares. No further episodes have occurred. Something someone on here said about blood sugar levels rang a real bell for me. The episodes have always occurred when it is 2 or 3 pm and it is cold and or wet out. So it sounded very reasonable to me that these two mares who are older (17 and 21 years) may just need that little bit more food to keep them warm and keep their blood sugar levels at the optimum. So for the last week, everyday when I get home from work (~230pm) I rush out and lay out 2-3 more flakes of hay for everyone. And so far it seems to be working. I know everyone in the herd (11 girls) are enjoying the extra snack; but that is ok with me if it keeps things normal for these two older mares. This is the last foal for the 21 year old. And we'll see how things play out for the 17 year old.

Will keep updating, hopefully all stays good and 3 months from now I get healthy little foals out of these girls. The foals certainly are active enough.

Do you poison for rats/mice? That just popped in my head for no good reason.

Yes I do, but I do it inside the stall walls away from the horses. I seem to be able to keep it under control by keeping her warm dry and very well fed. LOL, I think she is a very clever mare. 2.5 more months and baby will be here and hopefully she will feel less stressed.

I thought I'd update this for anyone who might come across this problem. The history of the mare was that she was taken from a barn that had no lights (yup none) and never was allowed outside for years. She went all summer wth not a sign of seizure and all the sudden this fall she was on the ground in a seizure. So I thought to myself, why is it always fall/winter. I've discounted the cold/wet as there are days that are horrible and she was fine. Then it dawned on me that sunshine gives Vitamin D. she would have to be deficient in it as she was stalled for years and years. I put her on Vitamin D, one adult pill morning and night and it has now been 38 days since she's had seizure. Her whole attitude has changed too. My mellow little therapy horse is now pushing other mares around in the paddock!! So I believe after much investigations and stress, we have found the cure for this little mare. Thought this might help someone else someday.

Wow very interesting!! Good Job
default_firstprize.gif

thats a real possibility but what about the second mare , surely she didn't suffer the same conditions ?

Latest posts

Back