Horse health insurance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxhaven

Reaction score
I did a search, but surprisingly found very little on it.

It could be the keyboard operator...

Does anyone use horse health insurance, and do they have a provider they like? Other advice? I looked at Markel but they don't appear to like insuring minis. Thinking about mortality and major medical/surgical. I don't want to have to make a very hard decision regarding cost vs. the best for my horse, or donkey for that matter.

I do have insurance for my gypsy vanners, but have had it for minis in the past. I always liked to insure for the first year I had them, at the very least. My reasoning was, I never knew, if due to stress and travel, I would have to deal with shipping fever that would lead to dehydration and or colic, or if, not knowing the horse's personality, they would be a wild child until they settled in.

I have on occasion used it, and was grateful to have it. I had a mini that had been shipped with some show horses. It was her first time off the farm, she was stressed, came down with shipping fever, I am sure it was something the show horses had an immunity to, but none the less,I had to take advantage of the. Insurance. She was lethargic, not eating, barely passing stools, high fever.... I was running IVs at home and giving meds under the instruction of a vet, but I felt she needed more, things were not turning around quick enough. After 24 hours at the animal hospital, she was fine, just needed a constant drip IV rath than running them every few hours.

Used it years later for my GV for her eye.

I had used Connaway and assoc. (I believe it was great American) for the minis. I had. Insured. On reccomendation for my GVs, I use Jarvis. I believe the cost is a little more, but the service was impeccable and completely hassle free! I previously had to deal with faxing reports, dropping off reports, having the vet send them in.

With Jarvis, I made one call, explained what transpired, gave them a phone number and expected the typical return calls consisting of "do you have a fax number, you need to do this this and this, then do this this and that" to my surprise, I went to pick up my GV from Penn Vet, told them I would need a fax, address and name to forward the info to, they replied "nope, your insurance already called, we already faxed your info to them, we will send them the reports, and a copy of your payed invoice and they will get you your money ASAP"

The accident happened on a Sunday (always a weekend or holiday) picked my girl up on Monday. Had my refund minus my deductible in less than a week. Sorry for the long story, I am completely thrilled with the service from Jarvis.

I also use Jarvis, actually on a recommendation from Carolyn R last year! They were easy to work with, patiently answered my questions, explained in sufficient detail and ensured that our boy was covered from the moment we contracted to purchase him. We have mortality and major medical on him. Thankfully, I haven't had to use their services yet, but I do plan to renew the policy this year.

Latest posts

Back