Horse being resold soon after purchase

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeCFarm

Reaction score
What is your reaction to seeing a horse that was just sold going back up for sale by it's new owners? Would you steer clear of it, even though you liked it, "just in case?"

That wouldnt bother me at all. Some people just buy horses and then turn around and sell them for more than they paid, just trying to make a buck.

After getting photos and the horse is still what I like, I'd buy it.

hi, several times i have bought great horses with no intention of keeping them. i bought a horse a month ago and had him for 2 weeks and he was sold. i joked with my husband that he was better then the some of the horses i couldn't part with.
default_smile.png

l suppose if it wasn't your horse to begin with and he's up for sale again and you liked him why not...the problem l have is with those people that come onto the property and want to buy and lead you to believe it's not for resale but a good home they have to offer and no they wouldn't do that bla bla bla....those jerks l can't stand.

l suppose if it wasn't your horse to begin with and he's up for sale again and you liked him why not...the problem l have is with those people that come onto the property and want to buy and lead you to believe it's not for resale but a good home they have to offer and no they wouldn't do that bla bla bla....those jerks l can't stand.
I think that is a little harsh - no offense intended. Plenty of people buy a horse with the intent to keep it and circumstances, that can change in the blink of a minute as we all know, come about that force a resale. I wouldn't hold it against the person if they chose to resell the horse- if I sold it in the first place obviously I didn't want it.

remember, not all people who buy to resell are jerks. i have bought alot of minis to resell from people who shouldn't be allowed to have them in the first place. i would have to say almost every horse i have bought to sell has went to a much better place then where i got them from. and just because someone has a handful of $ doesn't mean they can leave with one of my horses. for me it is more about the horses and it being a hobby then about the $. and i do realize for some it is not.

I actually sold a horse back a in January that is now for sale on the saleboard. I had wanted her to go to a good home where she would be given more attention than what I could currently give. I asked before the sale was made if they would continue keeping me posted as to her where abouts and they agreed.

I do understand that life throws curve balls and far from me to judge since the same thing is happening to me.

It was just hard seeing her on the saleboard without being told that she was being sold.
default_sad.png

I think that if I was a breeder, and I wanted to chose a good loving home for one of my horses, and I found a family that promised to love and keep the horse only to turn around and sale within a week or two, I would be pretty upset over it. I also realize that if I was selling it to begin with, then I didn't want it either. So I guess the only thing to do is make sure what the family is intending to do with the horse, and go with your gut instint on whether you feel they are being honest. Also, if you don't want the horse shuffled around, you can have a "buy back clause" with first right of refusal.

As for buying a horse that has been immediately resold after purchasing...I think I would want to check into why the person is selling it (maybe there was an unforseen flaw or habit), and make my decision from there. I wouldn't pass up on it if it was something that I wanted, and the owners were only trying to double their money.

Yes l understand what you guys are saying and thats fine things happen horses are bought and sold every day for whatever reasons. BUT l said when a person comes here knowing full well they want to buy and resell as soon as possible but don't tell you that just give a song and dance they are giving a home to your horse and wouldn't do that if you ask....in my book no matter what they are still jerks for not telling the whole truth.

I think honesty is key.

IMO when you buy sight unseen it is a risk and the horse may not be exactly what you wanted for a variety of reasons.

For me personality is #1, I have small kids and unless the new horse fits well with my other horses and with the kids I will not keep them.

Of course, I try to ensure an excellent new home and I would always let the seller know my intentions before, during and after the sale. I think that is just commom courtesy.

As a buyer, it doesnt bother me. I know life can change in a blink and force people to make hard decisions.

I bought a horse I intended to keep. Only had her about 2 months. We just couldnt bond! First time that has EVER happened to me! She wouldnt/couldnt bond with my other horses either! Long story short, she went to a home that was dieing to have her and they worked out just fine.

Viki

I guess I'd be upset if I sold a horse and then found soon it was up for sale again. I have never put the "Buy back" clause on my Bill of Sales but perhaps that would be a good idea. However, I also realize that when you sell a horse, the buyer actually has the right to do what they want as it is their horse then.

I can understand both sides of the story.

I don't really think too much of it if it's a horse I want.

Some of the horses I own now have been here a long time. Others not too long. Some will stay, some will go. I can't keep them all, but generally, I look to buy to enhance my breeding herd. I usually buy them sight unseen from just pictures. Most of the time they are just what I want. Occasionally, not. I bought a little mare this spring that was way SMALLER than I expected. That rarely happens!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Anyway, she just wouldn't work here at all and I put her up for sale within a couple of days of me getting her.

Yes l understand what you guys are saying and thats fine things happen horses are bought and sold every day for whatever reasons. BUT l said when a person comes here knowing full well they want to buy and resell as soon as possible but don't tell you that just give a song and dance they are giving a home to your horse and wouldn't do that if you ask....in my book no matter what they are still jerks for not telling the whole truth.
I quite agree with the above. Of course things happen and circumstances change and a keeper horse may suddenly have to be sold--things like that can't be helped. And sure there are those that buy and then resell for profit; some are up front about it, and will tell the seller that they're buying the horse for resale. If I'm okay with that, and happy with the price I'm getting, well & good. I'm a "nobody" and I know that I'm not going to get the same price that a "big name" will be able to get for the same horse. The ones I have issues with are the ones, similar to what Relic describes, that go to buy a horse & they rave about how this is going to be a keeper horse because they just love the horse so much...or worse, it's for the kids. The kids need a show horse, or they need to start their own little breeding herd & this mare is such a great start & oh, what can you do to help the kids? Seller gets conned into giving "the kids" a deal and two weeks after the deal is made the horse is up for sale. When you have the same person doing this over & over again you kind of get the picture and realize the 'for the kids' story is just a good line to get a better deal so the parents can make a better profit on resale.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

But, to get back on topic, no, it doesn't really bother me that a horse I'm interested in was just sold a few weeks ago--at least it's not that it concerns me that there might be some problem. What would concern me is if I knew what the asking price was a few weeks back when the horse sold--if the asking price now is $3000 more than it was then I'd likely turn away. The seller can make his/her quick profit off of someone other than me!

I quite agree with the above. Of course things happen and circumstances change and a keeper horse may suddenly have to be sold--things like that can't be helped. And sure there are those that buy and then resell for profit; some are up front about it, and will tell the seller that they're buying the horse for resale. If I'm okay with that, and happy with the price I'm getting, well & good. I'm a "nobody" and I know that I'm not going to get the same price that a "big name" will be able to get for the same horse. The ones I have issues with are the ones, similar to what Relic describes, that go to buy a horse & they rave about how this is going to be a keeper horse because they just love the horse so much...or worse, it's for the kids. The kids need a show horse, or they need to start their own little breeding herd & this mare is such a great start & oh, what can you do to help the kids? Seller gets conned into giving "the kids" a deal and two weeks after the deal is made the horse is up for sale. When you have the same person doing this over & over again you kind of get the picture and realize the 'for the kids' story is just a good line to get a better deal so the parents can make a better profit on resale.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

But, to get back on topic, no, it doesn't really bother me that a horse I'm interested in was just sold a few weeks ago--at least it's not that it concerns me that there might be some problem. What would concern me is if I knew what the asking price was a few weeks back when the horse sold--if the asking price now is $3000 more than it was then I'd likely turn away. The seller can make his/her quick profit off of someone other than me!

if i liked the horse and wanted it i probably wouldn't care how much of a profit someone else was making. i have bought horses and payed big $ for them knowing that they were bought for much, much less. if i am comfortable with the price i guess i don't care what someone else payed.

Thanks for the replies. I guess now I can explain why I asked in the first place. My mother bought a mare approximately two weeks ago. She has an excellent disposition, is everything the seller said she was, even a good kids horse (even for my 3 year old son) etc. However, after having the mare for less than a week, my mother found out she would be losing her job, as the business was shutting down. Not knowing what the future has in store as far as a new job, this mare is now up for sale, again, two weeks after she purchased her. The seller was informed before the mare was ever advertised, and we waited for a response from her before running any ads. I just wondered if it would turn people off if they had seen the previous owner's ads and known how short of a time she had been here. This mare was the newest purchase, and we have no emotional attachment to her yet, so she is the first to go.

I'll admit, I have often wondered when seeing horses put up for sale immediately after the buyer gets them. Now we are doing that very same thing. She's not even on our website yet, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your reaction to seeing a horse that was just sold going back up for sale by it's new owners? Would you steer clear of it, even though you liked it, "just in case?"

I'd ask why they're selling. Maybe there is a reason the horse didn't work for them, but wouldn't bother you. Maybe something came up. I sold one horse in my life, that was earlier this year, and her health took a turn for the worse so he was sadly back up for sale (I did ask for the option to buy back if she sold him, so she called me first, but I coudln't afford it at the time (literally bought a truck the day before!) but I DID help her sell him so that he could still have a great home, he really deserves to
default_smile.png

I'm rambling... my point is, there are many good reasons a horse could be bought then sold (even making more money is a reason that doesn't mean you should stay away). So, ya never know... could always get a vet check, and assess his manners/training/temperment...

OH yeah, the mini in my avatar... a friend bought him from a friend, then decided he wans't working out for them, so sold him pretty soon after to me... and his is the best mini I own, and boy you should see us in combined driving ;) He's AWESOME! He just didn't work so well for the friend I bought him from, but does with me! Ya never know
default_smile.png

Jessi

I also realize that if I was selling it to begin with, then I didn't want it either. So I guess the only thing to do is make sure what the family is intending to do with the horse, and go with your gut instint on whether you feel they are being honest. Also, if you don't want the horse shuffled around, you can have a "buy back clause" with first right of refusal.

I want to keep ALL my horses.......but if they prove to be not what I want for my breeding programme.....or produce horses that are too stocky or plain headed and I have foals that I have bred that are superior then I have to let some go as I`m limited as to how many I can have as many others are. So Its not a case of I dont want them, just that the others are better. However, in saying that, I totally agree with Relic and would be furious if someone deliberately came to view/buy any of my horses and lied to make me think it was a good home etc just to make a profit! And my pet hate is breeders who sell their horses at auctions so they could end up goodness knows where....that is why I have a buy back clause with first right of refusal as part of every sale agreement.

And my pet hate is breeders who sell their horses at auctions so they could end up goodness knows where....that is why I have a buy back clause with first right of refusal as part of every sale agreement.
I have to disagree with this--ANY horse sold in ANY fashion (private sale, auction, etc) can end up "goodness knows where." ANY time you sell a horse, you risk them ending up in a less than ideal home.

I to have a right of first refusal but it doesnt mean you will always get the horse back.

I agree horses can sell for different reasons sometimes life happens sometimes the horse might not fit in just right with the rest of the herd and sometimes a different have to have horse comes along and some must go.

I understand that however I have a HUGE issue with those that play the life long home game and then within a day the horse is back up for sale for double what they paid.

That happend to a friend of mine, they sold a horse, drove one state away to deliver him buyer was very happy promised pics of his foals ect when they got hom the next day , horse was up for sale for DOUBLE they called and said hey if you arent happy we will gladly come and get him and give you your money back.

This sellers answer was OH NO i have put to much time into him (she did drive him for a couple of hours)
default_wacko.png
: and now he is worth this I bought him to re sale.. you can pay the double or you are out of luck.

Believe me that person is on my NEVER sell to or buy from list

Latest posts

Back