Hopefully my mare is close so anxious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yes PICTURES!! How's she doing? I think we need an update.
default_yes.gif

Well I have been at the barn gate talking and looking several times yesterday just trying to show mercedes that its ok and then I went back in late afternoon and got mercedes on a lead from over the gate and tied her to a pole in there just so I could go in without getting hurt and again to show her I am not a threat so I just sat in barn talking to her for a small while and then I collected some poo put down fresh hay. She was a bit jumpy when I had to go close to get poo or when foal come near me. She was trying to kick and yelling at me so that was enough I got out went gave her a rub over gate and told her it ok and I undid her and left. Thought I would keep doing this until she settles and doesnt want to hurt me. I am hoping I will be able to let my kids give the foal a pat soon. I did not let her out of barn I have been feeding her in there as it quite cold and I think it would be a drama and a mission to get her and foal back in. I have let gelding(daddy) in paddock there so he can see them through gate as he has been a crazy boy when he couldnt see them so now he ok. The foal is a little scared to come close to me mare makes a noise when foal coming over my way and the foal goes straight back to her so I didnt get a pat. The black coat on foal is soo black like blue black.. Will try get more pics today. Any advice on getting close to the foal without upsetting mum too much I would appreciate or am I already doing things right... There is no way I could enter without tying mum up as she rears when I am outside the gate lol....

You'll hate my advice but it's the only thing I've seen work.

Wait until they are ready.

When the mare's go into "foal" mode they won't learn, even if you do this every day she won't be sitting there taking it because she is so focused on getting to her foal. All it causes is stress and cements the desire to keep away.

At this stage even a lot of friendly foals keep their distance as well, they come around with time. I just go into the paddock (I get the out of the stable ASAP as I believe the outside is healthier for mum and bubs) do my jobs and leave. Eventually they all come around but forcing the issue before either of them is ready has no benefit.

I agree with Bree, and I would leave mare and baby alone... though one things I would add is I love to sit in the paddock and as foals are very curious creatures just sit as they explore don't touch them or anything, talk to them baby talk, sweet nothings and just let them investigate you
default_smile.png
it lets mumma know you aren't going to hurt her baby and lets the baby bond with you... soon enough baby will be lying in your lap
default_smile.png
then they start to get too heavy LOL

Wise words!! I too would just leave them be. You will not change her attitude but just add to it as she struggles to 'protect' her baby, which at the moment is her 'job' in life. This might have been caused in the past by too much human 'interferance' with one of her other foals.

I would just let her and the filly back out, leaving your barn as a run in, and put her food in the doorway - moving it further back in every time she has eaten, and, once she realises that she's not going to be shut in or caught, I bet she will relax a bit and wander in and out at will.

And yes, sitting quietly out with them (in safety near a fence/gate maybe) is a great idea. Over the next few weeks as she relaxes and the foal naturally becomes bolder, you will get approached by your filly as her natural curiosity kicks in. But basically you are just going to have to give the time she needs - and family and friends are just going to have to wait!!

Try not to worry - all will be fine in the end.
default_yes.gif

Hi! Just wondering how things were going - and any chance of some pics of your two girls?

Firstly I have finally had good look again and we back to a colt as the bit is out and wasnt before which is why I was confused but I have had a cuddle and he even fell asleep on me which was lovely and the mare has now settled and is ok with him coming to me although he does'nt all the time. I have had a friend who is experienced with minis come over and and she told me I have to feed mare a bit more as she lost a lot with foal so I am doing that and she will build up back to her normal condition soon hopefully. The colt is feeding every couple of minutes the poor mare doesn't get a break. I am spending a lot of time with her giving her loads of attention... I have added a couple of pics I just took and colts head is so much like his dads. I think he will go grey as showing a lot of silver through the black.P9057463.jpgP9057464.jpg He had halter on in pic as I was checking for fitting... but very big so will have to get a dog one I think....

Gorgeous baby so what's his name? Glad your upping your mares feed a little sure is a cute little tyke!!! :D well done!

Oh isn't it the best when they fall asleep on you? I loved it!!

Oh so glad to hear all is going well - yes a lot of mares do need quite a good boost in their feed levels once feeding those greedy babies!!

He is so gorgeous - I have no idea what colour he will eventually be, but I do think we need regular pictures of him.
default_yes.gif

Mum is registered as bay grey apaloosa so yes grey in mum. I put a gym ball in with them yesterday and the colt loves it it is so cute I will get some pics, he tries to pick it up. I have not officially named him as trying to think of name that my kids will be able to say as I have a 3 yr old and twin 2 yr olds. But was thinking Prince, although I have been calling him baby. He also has been eating since day two which amazed me but I understand that it is quite normal. Poor mare I feel for her with him jumping on her and then feeding every couple of minutes he so rough the little begger.

If you don't like waiting, for $25 you can have the foal tested to see if he will turn gray. You just need to pull some tail hairs and send them in to Animal Genetics.

http://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine.asp. I have found that to be much more accurate than me trying to guess, and both times it came back that the foal would turn gray. (See avatar photo from well AFTER the test came back!)

we all love our special Bunny! haha Prince is super cute! especially if he stayed black! or actually if he greyed out he would suit him too!

cute!!

Often the grey foals have less foal shading... probably to taunt us with the colour that could of been
default_new_rofl.gif
. I'd lean towards staying black.

Oh how cute!! But we need lots MORE pictures - it's been a while and we need an update!
default_yes.gif

Oh thank you so much - the pictures are great - he's a really cute little boy!!
default_thumbup.gif

I see you have got them all happily settled together again which is fabulous, but once again I will say that, in my opinion, a foal should never be turned out with a headcollar on - too much chance that baby could get caught up on something - plus no headcollars on the other animals sharing a paddock with a foal - your picture of your little fella jumping on your gelding is a classic one of a foal's behaviour and shows just how easy it would be for the foal's foot to slip down and get caught through your gelding's headcollar. Please think seriously about this.

I love the way your cat had to get in the picture - one of my cats always follows me out into the foal's field and insists on laying down in front of them, meaning that I have to go and pick him up before he gets an ear nibbled or his tail pulled by inquisitive babies!! LOL!!

Please keep the pictures coming, we love to keep contact with 'our' foals and watch them grow up.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back