hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiterbug

Reaction score
How often do horses need their hooves trimmed and how often do they need their teeth floated?

jiterbug

How often do horses need their hooves trimmed and how often do they need their teeth floated?

jiterbug
Depends on the horse. Most horses go 8 to 10 weeks for a trim [if barefoot] and at least once a year for teeth. Some horses require 2x a year for teeth.

My horses have always been every 6-8 weeks for a hoof trim.

Teeth floating... I have teeth checked every December (for me, December is "dental month") and if needed, they get floated. Usually my vet doesn't float teeth on horses younger than 3, and some horses that wear evenly don't need to be floated every single year, just checked.

Some horses might need to be floated every six months, if they have a bad bite with a lot of wave in the molars, and sometimes older horses need it more often. I had an elderly Arab who was done every six months because as he lost teeth, the opposing teeth had nothing to wear against so once horses loose teeth it becomes more important. I think old horses have problems "keeping weight on" just because their teeth aren't looked after so much.

Andrea

jiterbug,

It's great of you to ask a lot of questions, please keep doing so - however, there are somethings that you probably don't even know you need to ask at this point, so it's time to build a library....

The US Pony Club Manuals are written so that you can read them with your daughter. They are a good place to start with basic horsemanship.

Most of the major equine publications also have published books for first time horse owners with lots of illustrations (Western Horsemen Books come to mind) that are also good. Look for one that shows you how to do things like pick out a hoof, lead, tie and haul a horse - with saftey in mind.

Stop by your vets office and ask him/her who they use for a farrier. Common sense above all. On your other thread you asked people not to get mad... why? Because you some folks would consider it risky. Well, if you know it's risky.... =)

[Yea, I definately need some books. I took my lab to the vet to get neutered today(he's not happy right now) and while I was there I asked if he did horses teeth and he said he did. He also told me of a farrier I can contact so that is a huge load off my mind knowing there is someone around that can take care of that for me. I used to take foster kids to a horse ranch where the owner had all rescue horses and I watched her teach the kids on cleaning their hooves and be careful around the frog and stuff. I'm so glad I was able to watch her! I have a lot to learn, but so far I'm really enjoying it and also enjoying the search for our new addition to our family. Then we will be a family of 11. 4 humans, 3 goats, 2 dogs, 1 cat and hopefully 1 horse! Then we will search for #12, another horse of course. We are also in the process of fostering/adopt so who knows where that will lead!

jiterbug

quote name=nightflight' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:16 PM' post='963472]

jiterbug,

It's great of you to ask a lot of questions, please keep doing so - however, there are somethings that you probably don't even know you need to ask at this point, so it's time to build a library....

The US Pony Club Manuals are written so that you can read them with your daughter. They are a good place to start with basic horsemanship.

Most of the major equine publications also have published books for first time horse owners with lots of illustrations (Western Horsemen Books come to mind) that are also good. Look for one that shows you how to do things like pick out a hoof, lead, tie and haul a horse - with saftey in mind.

Stop by your vets office and ask him/her who they use for a farrier. Common sense above all. On your other thread you asked people not to get mad... why? Because you some folks would consider it risky. Well, if you know it's risky.... =)

For the hooves, every 6-8 weeks (I find most need it more often in spring / summer, less often in fall / winter).

For teeth, if the horse has a good bite, they should be checked 1x a year. If they have an off bite, then every 6mos.

Back