Holy Cow!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueEyedPony

Reaction score
I haven't been on to post in forever...seems things are always so busy these days! I wanted to share some pictures of our newest addition. Her name is Marigold, and she is a registered Irish Dexter cow. I never thought in a million years that I would want to have a cow, let alone enjoy having one, but life is crazy like that! She has the sweetest temperment, and loves to have her neck scratched! Irish Dexters are a dual purpose breed (milk & beef), and are considered a heritage breed (largely unchanged since their development for use on small Irish homesteads). They have great temperments, excellent milk, and do very well on a grass-fed diet (they only need 1/2 acre of good pasture!). The part that really drew me to the breed was their small size...they are not a "miniaturized" version of a larger breed, but have been a small breed since they were first recognized. Marigold is not as small as my miniature horses, but at 45" tall she is considerably smaller than most common breeds of cattle. The most exciting part is that she is due to freshen (have a calf) any day now, and we're really looking forward to milking! Dexters produce anywhere from 1-3 gallons of very high quality milk per day, which is perfect for family use (ice cream, butter, milk for drinking, cheese, etc). Not that I need anything else to keep me busy! So without further ado, I introduce Leep At Farms Marigold. I was hoping to add a picture of my minis Kinder and Duncan checking her out the day she came home to keep this MHR, but the pic is still on my camera in my fiancee's car. Go figure.

Marigoldbath2.jpg

Marigoldbath1.jpg

These two pictures were taken about a week after she came home, and immediately after her first bath! :bgrin Everyone I know who owns cattle laughs at me when I tell them that I brush her twice a day and have given her a bath, but she loves it, and she smells a lot better, too! For comparison, here is a picture taken the day she came home so you can see how disgusting she looked (yes, that is manure on her, not dirt :smileypuke:

Marigoldfirstday.jpg

And this is my favorite picture...check out what she's doing with her tongue :new_shocked: . It amazes me the things she uses her tongue for...definitely different from horses!

Marigoldtongue.jpg

Congratulations on your new addition...what a beautiful shine she has to her coat!! She is in GREAT condition!

Oh yeah I love some cows...Yours is sooo pretty and shes in such good shape...Gotta love how cows eat their boogers with their tongues...Def. different than horses. I would have a cow if I had my own place.
default_smile.png

She is a beauty! Nothing wrong with giving her a bath and brushing her. They stay gentle if you give them attention and makes them easier to handle!

She's cute!! I grew up on a dairy farm and soooooooooo dearly miss the cows and milking! Most of my friends think I'm crazy for missing having to get up and milk and literally be 'married' to the farm, but I do... Thankfully I have the minis to keep me busy...

Back