history of Jandt's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of wonderful things about the Jandt's horses, how they became, and how they've progressed but leave it to me that I forgot most of it...lol...

Can anyone elaborate for me the history of the Jandt's line of horses; how they became, what they're famous for, etc?

I think Minimor on the Forum could give you some info. She knows Joseph Jandt.

BTW, I have a Jandts mare that I just LOVE!
default_wub.png
:

Thanks Steph! I thought I heard their lines were bred down literally as miniaturized arabians so, I was hoping to find out more!

p.s. I love your Jandt's mare too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure don't know much of the story behind the Jandt's horses but I do know I LOVE them! Some of my favorite horses out there come from their line.

I have a Jandts mare too that I just love and would like to know more about that bloodline. I hope someone has some good stories about them. Lori

Ask Angie! (BuckOnRanch) I know SHE knows ... C'mon Angie, fill everyoe in!!!

Nan :bgrin

shafawn03head.jpg
This is a Picture of Jandts Irish Shawfawn.. she goes back to the old Fantasy Mare.

Well.. I dont know if I can put it all in words.. where to start..? Joe Jandts remembers seeing Buckeroo as a baby... if that tells you anthing. Joe was the first owner of Boones Little Andy.... He began his program collecting small mares that reminded him of Arabs. He did NOT use any Komoko, Bond.. Dell Terra breeding in his program.. maybe why there has never been alot recessive traits in his stock.. One story he tells is of two mares he picked up here in Minnesota.. I beleive he traveled around finding farms with small stock then purchased him.. These two mares were suppose to be bred down from full sized Arabs the farmer said.. well the old dam was grey and the youngest mare was grey too...they were full sisters he named one Jandts Little Mary and the other one Jandt Fantacy of Owatonna. The Fantacy mare was a good producer for him... She sired Jandts Fantazon who was a multi AMHA Champion, and resides here with me now.. she also produced many others who people purchased and promoted.. The other mare Mary gave Joe Boys.. one time she lost her foal and Joe dediced after breeding her to JJ's Little Macho he would sell her.. She went to a sale I beleive.. Joe was contacted the next year by a lady from Sooner states who said she bought a mare that Joe has sold.. she had a colt and wanted a breeders certificate.. Joe gladly sent her the paperwork and she registered the colt

Sooner States Bit O Honey... Yep.. he is the foundation stallion for KC Pappas... I disovered this when I brought Fantazon home. There dams were full sisters..

I could tell story after story.. I have heard Joe tell them for as long as I have been into Minis.. Joe has produced some excellent stock but was never able to promote them himself.. As the years went on Appaloosas became his passion.. I always tease him that was his down fall..in the program.. They have alot of big horse characteristics.. good movers.. pretty heads.. lots of balance.. and usually a bit more attitude then many people like.. They are raised in a herd situation like livestock, so many are not pets.. but excellent breeding stock.. I could go on for hours telling "Joe Stories" and the Jandts horses I have been involved with.. Dont think I could ever count them all.. I just know everyone should have at least one in their breeding program..

Angie can for sure tell you a lot more about the Jandt horses than I can but I do have some of the Jandt breeding and I have talked to Joe on the phone--haven't met him in person.

Our stallion Ice Man is a grandson of Jandt's Fantasy of Owatonna and we have some geldings of the same breeding. We also have some of his appaloosa breeding, through Jandt's Flaming Lace--Flame has been sold, but we've retained a filly & a gelding out of her. Flame's dam is a granddaughter of a mare called Jandt's Tonka Joy of Owatonna & I thought it was kind of interesting to hear that Tonka Joy was a pretty little mare brought over from Europe by a well known magician (isn't there just something kind of romantic about a European magician bringing horses to America?? I thought so anyway :lol: ) Joe traded a stallion, I think, to get Tonka Joy from the magician.

It's kind of a shame that there isn't more recognition for the breeders once a horse makes a name for itself. I believe there are a number of well known, big name horses that were bred by Joe, but most people don't realize that because the mares were sold in foal, and the resulting foals were registered with the new owners' prefixes. One of the things you accept, of course, when you sell bred mares; you as breeder get little credit for being the one to plan the specific cross.

An interesting note about Sooner States Bit O Honey - I was told years ago that as a young horse, Bonnie Simpson (Sooner States Miniature Horses) thought he was going to go oversize and sold him to K C Pappas for $500. And the rest is history!

My little Ragtime Cowboy's greatgrandfather is JANDT's TAK-WITH-THA. Hes a sorrel and white pinto. Possibly hemog.

Do you know any information on these Jandt horse?

Jandts Blanket Spots

Jandts Light On Of Owatonna

Jandts Minis Mist

They're the bottom side of our new appy colt and our appy mare's pedigree

Well, the cat is out of the bag for me now :bgrin I recently rescued a nice little colt, he's in bad shape now but I can't wait to see what he looks like next spring! He is solid Jandts breeding on top including:

stallions:

Jandts Golden Rule

Jandts Bay N' Bee

Jandts Dots N' Dashes

mares:

Jandts Strawberry Spots

Jandts Tonka Joy of Owatonna (which I loved reading the story about!)

Does anyone happen to have pictures of any of these Jandts horses? I have pictures of Golden Rule but none of the others. These are all his immediate first 3 generations, grandparents and great grandparents.

I can't wait to see how this colt turns out
default_yes.gif
: once I saw his pedigree full of Jandts on top, I just knew he had to be something special! Not sure yet if he's stallion or gelding material, that's TBD but either way I already like him a lot!

Oh I forgot to ask...my friend came up with a theory for the appaloosa Jandt's horses and she wanted to know if it may be true? She was thinking that since Mr. Jandt lived near the indian reservations, and since they had small appaloosa horses, that maybe he crossed his small arabian miniatures on a few small indian appaloosa horses, and in turn was able to create the small, colorful, arabian appaloosa Jandts horses of today?

We would love to hear if this may be a possible hypothesis?
default_yes.gif
:

Oh I forgot to ask...my friend came up with a theory for the appaloosa Jandt's horses and she wanted to know if it may be true? She was thinking that since Mr. Jandt lived near the indian reservations, and since they had small appaloosa horses, that maybe he crossed his small arabian miniatures on a few small indian appaloosa horses, and in turn was able to create the small, colorful, arabian appaloosa Jandts horses of today?

We would love to hear if this may be a possible hypothesis?
default_yes.gif
:

No, I don;t believe that to be true at all, but why don;t you give Joe a call and talk awhile. He LOVES talking horses and sharing information on his herd!! He can answer all your questions!

Jandts Golden Rule

Look here: Pedigree/pic

Hold your mouse over the picture icon by his name on top.. He's a very pretty boy!

Edited to add:

Found more on him!

He is owned by Lucky Star Acres in MN

Jandt's Golden Rule

31.5" bald-faced palomino with socks and blue eyes

Ruler has produced overos and appaloosa. Ruler is a half-brother to Jandt's Comanche Warrior.

Lucky Star Acres

Ahh the Jandts horses !!! I have been to Joe's a few times I remember my first visit well....just getting into minis and I remember looking at all his horses and then seeing this stunning Appy stallion in a back corner of his yard....he totaling took my breath away up until then I had not seen a miniature Appy that I cared to own...a full year past before I was able to purchase Jandts Chief Show Tom A Hawk...and the rest is history!! I now own 4 Jandts horse and they will be the foundation of my breeding program...infact I just purchased 2 more appy mares this spring from Joe. As Angie said in her post they seem to be more like big horse than minis ...they are huge movers ....balanced and full of themselves...Joe just seems to have nak for putting 2 horses together and getting what he wants
default_yes.gif
:

Jandts Perious Pimples a.k.a Cowboy

cowboy.jpg

Jandts Chief Show Tom A Hawk

tom2.jpg

Jandts Wana Pimples ( Cowboy daughter)

wanna.jpg

Jandts Pom Pom Chick a Dee ( Tom Daughter)

pompom2.jpg

We've owned quite a few Jandts horses...I think my great grandma knew them pretty well. Jandts were the first to get us into the appys. Great Grandma bought Jandts Chianti Minnesota Dots from the Jandts-he was a black snowcap son of Chianti II and have kept a few of his daughters. He was a gorgeous stallion...very leggy and 'big horsish'...like Angie said he had a lot of personality and was more for breeding stock then for play. The only one he would let even touch him was grandma.

Love Jandts Bay N Bee. Used to own a silver bay leopard son that was probably one of the nicest mini appys I've seen. BIG boy though measuring in at 36.5" but we kept a daughter for our appy program. She's a babe too
default_wub.png
: Jandts is one of my very favorite lines...one I brag about.

Latest posts

Back