history of Jandt's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.. the story about Jandts Tonka Joy is probably the most interesting one.. I think the magician was with a Circus.. he may have traded something for her.....?? that is why when I saw Tonka advertised on the Sales board a few years ago I bought her sight unseen.. She was old and I figured I owe it to the old girl to bring her home to die..She was possilby in foal to a ICON stallion and I thought I would take a chance on her.. She was living inTexas at the time so I asked a freind of mine to pick he up and bring her to R Natinals so I could get her home.. I was told she was kinda stiff some days, so I wasnt too concerned.. My freind brought her to the Nationals and came to find me.. he said.. Angie.. have you ever seen this mare?? I said no.. why... He told me.. I didnt know for sure if you wanted me bring her thru the barn for every one to see her and all.. and I said..why?? and he said well .. you better see for you self... so when I went outside there was this brown long haired shabby looking horse.. I said she has got plenty weight on her.. and grabbed her to go... when she started walking she kinda swung around like a lizard.. and I said whats she doing.????. limping.????.. he said.. I dont know what you would call it.... but she seems to be just plain crippled... and Crippled she was.. like she had a broken shoulder.. she swings when she walks.. I had Gary Flur offer to do her teeth.. try and massage her.. we had her feet trimmed.. and everyone was spoiling her with treats.. I was worried how I was going to get her 14 hours home in a trailer.. We joked with one of our friends who was in the Funeral business, hoping.we didnt have to have a road side burial on 35 W.. I shoved her in the trailer between Dangerous Curves and the wall to hold her up...and home she came.. I think that was three years ago.. I was hoping we could get a foal from her but I dont think that will happen... I think she will be 30 next year.. She is in great health.. and will probably outlive me.. I just took some pics of her this summer for the first time.. I will try and get them posted for you all... angie/buckonranch

Oh Angie, I had no idea you'd bought Tonka. Poor girl, to be so crippled, but I'm glad to hear she's got a good home for her last years. I'll look forward to seeing a photo of her now if you get one posted or please e-mail one to me at [email protected] ? I'd like to see her.

Holly

Angie, that horse is incredible!!! Wow!!! I'd love to see the photo of Tonka, if you can post it or email it to me at [email protected].

This is Jandts Cheeri Deeri, a granddaughter of Jandts Fantasy of Owatonna and a great granddaughter (through Jandts Bay N Bee) of Jandts Tonka Joy of Owatonna.

8-06DinahCheeriDeeri.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been interesting reading...would love to see it published in one of the magazines.

I'd write the article if noone else wants to, as long as I could get the information and some photos, etc., but guess it would best be left to someone that really knows Jandt.

Count me enthralled!

I remember in the VERY early days of this Forum there was a person in the midwest that had a few Jandts mares and one of them was badly mutilated in a sick "spree" some person visited upon their ranch. The photos made me feel so badly for her, and it was apparent she was very beautiful before someone attacked her so. She was an app, I think.

Truthfully, though, I do not believe at all that ANY Miniature horses are from "bred down" anything full size, not 100% for sure.

I've yet to see proof that satisfies my naturally skeptical nature, that makes me believe there is ANY full size horse blood in minis, let alone full-blooded ones bred down.

Nonetheless, these appear to be gorgeous horses.

Liz M.

Oh about the Indians.. it would have made a great tale for Joe to tell, but..its not true.. I think the original Dots and Dashes had come from Germany too.. He was his first Leopard Appy stallion.

Thanks for sharing Angie! I love my Jandt's mares and keep my eyes open for them when they become available. I have heard many stories about Joe as much as his horses and I think that's half the appeal. I know that my girls will remain the foundation of my under breeding program.

This is all definitely very interesting, and I would love to read an article on the Jandt's horses that explains how they became, and also pictures of the well known ones that were talked about in this topic! I have Dots and Dashes in my colts pedigree as well as Tonka Joy of Owatanna and Bay N Bee, i'd love to get pictures of these three for sure, and if I could find one of the mare, Strawberry Spots, that would just be awesome to see them all!

Angie, I would love to see pictures of Tonka for my records, [email protected] !!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back