Hilltops Little Vegas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean_B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
My grand old man – Hilltops Little Vegas – has passed over the bridge.

vegas02charge1.jpg

I first met him at a sale in Missouri back when he was 14. I was there with Angie Sauer and Diana Rickard. None of us really needed another stallion but there was something that just caught our eye. So sort of as a lark because we thought we might be able to jerk someone’s chain (long story on that one) because of his breeding by bringing him home, so decided we would pool our resources up to a certain limit. Well….someone else saw us looking at him and decided if we liked him, HE needed him. If we had known who was running our bid, we would never have let him go. For two more years I could not get that beautiful zebra dun/buckskin stallion out of my head and repeatedly tried to get him away from the buyer. He finally relented and let me buy him…and discovered this guy had Vegas running with a small herd of mares, donkey JACKS, and even a Clyde STALLION. I’m not sure who was more thrilled to get him out of that he11 hole, Vegas or me. (Can you imagine some mare buyers’ surprise when they bought a mare that was supposed to be bred to Vegas and they came out with VERY long ears?)

grumpyoldmen2.jpg

(at age 25-facing off with Robby, age 19)

grumpy_old_men.jpg

(I call this picture "Grumpy Oldl Men")

Over the years Vegas confirmed what I knew he could do, producing babies with primitive colors, chiseled heads with tea-cup muzzles, beautiful conformation and MOTION. He could be a little turd-hard to catch if I was the one going out there, but would come up for a scratch from my grandkids or others…unless it was breeding season and then he met me at the gate.

The last few years were progressively more difficult for him – arthritic and requiring senior feed – he did well until this fall, when he developed chronic choke and stopped eating. It was time.

Rest in peace, old boy! And to all the owners of his wonderful offspring….love them like I loved him.

Oh Jean I'm so sorry you lost your GRAND old gentleman.
default_crybaby.gif

He was a beauty! I know he loved living out his life with you instead of where he had been.

{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}

Rest in peace boy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so very sorry for your loss! He was a beautiful stallion and he had a great home with you. I have a paternal brother, one of the last Kernel sons and he is also getting up there in age. The heads and tiny ears he passes on are so beautiful-i know Vegas passed on those very same qualities because it was my envy of his foals that helped me make my decision to buy my boy.

God Speed Vegas!

So sorry for your loss.

I personally and highly admire him over every known stallion out there and have ALWAYSED wanted a daughter of his! I have looked at as many foals I can find of his and even to this day watch for one to go up for sale close by and in my price range.

And I maybe lucky as a son of his moved into the state. I might not end up with a daughter, but a g-baby could be in my future soon!

I am so sorry for your loss Jean. I know how special he was...both to your heart, as well as your breeding program.

Oh no Jean! How very sad. Truly another piece of history has passed. Godspeed little man.
default_bye-sad.gif

Boy, it's been a tough few months with losing so much of our history. Every horse that passes leaves a hole, but some have played larger roles than others and Vegas was one of those. Gosh, so sad.

So sorry for your loss, Jean. Vegas was a grand fellow. I have a Vegas granddaughter, and I just love her, she was one of my first minis. [i loved her mother (Vegas daughter, Little Maiden), so practically bought the foal sight-unseen.]

Love the pictures. And, if that's Lucky C Farms Robby, then I have one of his daughters and a granddaughter.

So very sorry for your loss, Jean. Vegas was such a gorgeous stallion and will be missed by many.
default_bye-sad.gif

default_saludando.gif
so sorry to hear about the loss of your stunning boy

sending you a big hug
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful boy.

I know how tough it is Jean. So many memories tied to those old boys. I do know that he had a wonderful life with you though. I think Vegas was the first Kernel son. Correct me if I am wrong.

2011 was a year for letting go of a lot of them. Glad you have a new plan and wish you the best. Happy New Year.

So sorry Jean, I have Vegas' half brother, Jet, that is a year younger than Vegas.. I see so much similarities in the boys and know that you loved your ol guy so much..... RIP Vegas.

Latest posts

Back