Hi from a new member

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_smile.png

Good to see you and I think you're in excellent hands w/your seller/breeder as well as being here for other options.

I feed my weanlings very well. They RARELY get fat, IME, and my weanlings eat the following on average:

2-4 c. of a pelleted complete feed for weanlings/lactating mares (currently LMF Development), free choice orchard grass (as in, all they can eat) and are on pasture as well. I also make sure they have a salt only block as the complete feed that I use is supplemented w/minerals.

I worm my weanlings once a month and I use Zimectrin Gold at least once in that time frame. What I do is I worm horses when they leave my place as well as when I bring new ones in, so you might want to discuss w/your seller about this.

With complete feeds, it is important to read the tags and get good weights on your little ones. With weanlings it can change dramatically in a few months' time, but I would err on the side of a bit more for them. Once you know, you can feed by weight. Most feeds are formulated for a 1000 lb. horse but many are breaking it down into 100 lb. weights so you could feed one 100 lb. weanling the recommended amount per 100 lb. (be sure to read if it's a different indication for growing babies, but most times the development/baby formulas will already take that into account).

I use beet pulp on my foals' feed as well, mixed w/the complete feed to keep them hydrated and a little extra boost.

My resources for feeds and feeding includes this forum, my own research on the manufacturers' sites, as well as my veterinarian.

IMHO, the biggest defenses against colic are a good worming program, good feed, and a close to natural lifestyle (as in let them be horses first and foremost, i.e., plenty of turnout time, good fresh water and feed, and lots of exercise). I've only had two colics in 20 years of horse ownership, big and small, and I attribute that to not only luck but being attuned to a horse in their natural state as well, and observing closely.

Your feeding program may well change almost weekly as time goes on. Use your fingers in the woolly coats of Winter to feel if bones are becoming too prominent or being buried in deep fat. Either condition will require adjusting the feed. Many of us have been fooled by the thick undercoat and think we have a nice, plump horse, and come Spring, that same horse is a bit ribby looking. Foals are the same, though I noted Ginny said she'd clip for you. That will help a lot in seeing if the changes are agreeing w/them or perhaps too much or too little.

I think you've gotten more than enough great information from all to start with, and for sure Ginny will always be there to assist you w/questions re: care.

Then there's always us chatty types (though I would always run things by your veterinarian/nutritionist before making any drastic changes of any kind).

Liz M.

They are on a mostly timothy hay with a bit of alfalfa (hardly any).

Instead of a 12% sweetfeed, what do you think about Buckeye Gro'N Win Horse and Foal Ration Balancer? Here is a partial analysis:

Crude Protein, Min: 32.00%

Crude Fat, Min: 5.00%

Crude Fiber, Max: 5.00%

Ca, Min.: 2.50%

Ca, Max: 3.50%

P, Min: 1.50%

K, Min: 1.50%

Cu, Min: 200 ppm

Zn, Min: 400 ppm

Se: 1.5 ppm

Vit. A, Min: 22 000 IU/lb

Vit. D, Min: 2 200 IU/lb

Vit. E, Min: 350 IU/lb

Ascorbic Acid, Min: 50 mg/lb

Since they're not getting a lot of Alfalfa is it advisable to get more protein in them from a feed such as this?

I'm not sure how to put pics on here, but one of the fillies is the one in the avatar.

Also, if I were to switch them to this feed, how slow or fast of transition do I do?
Matt, I know a lot of people that really like the Buckeye products and I think the brand you feed is a personal pick. If you email or call Buckeye they will give you an entire list of what to feed. At least that's what they say at their seminars at the feed stores here.

My comments on stopping the sweet feed are based on the problem that minis are usually "easy keepers" and can get overweight and (the one I can't think of like diabetics- -hey, at my age I can't remeber my own diseases).

This forum's a good place to get answers. Don't be afraid to ask. There's a lot of good helpful people here.

Hello Estelle

Thank you. We are so excited. Someday if I ever get to live on a big farm, I want riding horses too. I've already got a list of questions ready. :bgrin I really appreciate everyone's help and I enjoy reading all the posts.

Thanks again

Genea

Hey there congrats on your two babies! im new to minis myself, but have had riding horses since I was 4 so that 41 years now...I have one arab cross mare and my mini mare...I personally so far at least have not found much difference between full size and minis except food intake of course LOL It's good that you are going to talk with the breeder..handy hint for you...write down questions as you think of them and bring the list along with you that way you wont forget anything!

Great bunch of people here and lots of help! It was one of my first stops after I got my mini! :bgrin

Hi Liz

Thank you for the help. It's appreciated very much. I agree, Ginny has been great and we are definitely in good hands. Everyone has been very helpful and I'm starting to not feel quite as nervous as I was. :aktion033:

Thanks again

Genea

default_smile.png

Good to see you and I think you're in excellent hands w/your seller/breeder as well as being here for other options.

I feed my weanlings very well. They RARELY get fat, IME, and my weanlings eat the following on average:

Thank you Sandee and Kay

I know this thread was started by Genea, but thanks for your insight and knowledge in regards to my feeding program. Much appreciated.

Matt

Latest posts

Back