Hernia in yearling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fantasia

Reaction score
Have just discovered a tiny little hernia in my not quite twelve month old filly. It's right behind where her umbilical stump is(was).

She didn't mind me touching it to start with, but when I went to take photos decided she didn't want it touched. So small I couldn't get a decent picture. No idea how look she's had it - clipped her the other day but she sucks her tummy in when you are clipping it. She did have a fall three days ago onto quite firm ground, that's the only trauma I can think may have caused anything.

Does anybody have experience with hernias "suddenly" appearing?

IMH experience, they typically are there from birth, part of the birthing process. But can happen at a later date. Talk to your vet, they can do surgery and fix the hernia. If left unattended, it can grow and hinder the horse.

I agree you definitely need to have a vet look at it. We used to raise big horses and they are a lot more common in them and we always had to have surgery done to remove them.

Latest posts

Back