Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not overly shocked to hear of a horse that passes out while getting teeth done. Several of mine have done it. Carl says its because they hold thier breath, but when mine have done it I make sure they go down easy and then they wake back up almost immediately, no harm done and we procede with the job to be done. The seizure... that makes me think that the drugs used may have been involved, or that he hit his head when he went down. Could stress and/or pain cause a seizure? Any way the vet could have dislocated Eagles jaw? I can tell you from personal experience that the pain from a dislocated jaw is horrible. My dentist forced my jaws open too wide while doing work and when the anesthetic wore off it was one of the worst pains I have ever felt. two days later could not open my mouth and I called in desperation. they knew immediately what must have happpened and they popped it back into place. I am just trying to figure out why he would show signs of ulcers so quickly and all I could up with was extreme pain... I sure hope he is doing better Renee.
default_pray.gif
:pray
default_pray.gif

Well it looks like he has an impaction colic which was possibly starting before we tried to do his teeth. He is in the best place now as these vets are fantastic and I know they will do all they can. I just wish I had been able to get him there sooner
default_sad.png

I am so happy that you have an answer. Are they going to try to oil him and give him fluids? Or do they think they will still have to do surgery? I must admit though that I have never heard of a horse having a seizure from an impaction colic. Sorry dont mean to be a buzz kill just wondering if they gave you a reason for that??? I had a foal have seizures when stressed but he outgrew that in a couple of months. Other than that I have no knowledge of why horses have seizures. Oh wait fevers too I beleive. Whatever the reason I am very glad to hear that he is on the road to recovery. I will keep you and Eagle in my thoughts.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Ah never mind just checked other thread. I am happy his surgery went well. Lots of well wishes and hugs from Texas!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How horrible Renee. Any update? Sending continued prayers. Eagle is very special and loved by many.

Renee, I'm so sorry to hear about Eagle. Sending prayers your way for a full recovery.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

The surgery went well and they removed 2 very hard lumps of poop, 1 in his small intestine and 1 in his colon. They have given him plasma as his blood tests weren't perfect. They will test again this afternoon to see if he is back to normal.

Jax his seizure was caused by the vet lifting his head too high, the colic just happened to be slowly building up at the same time.

Thanks for all the great advice and most of all thank you for your prayers.

Poor guy!!!!! I'm glad you were watching him and got him to the vet! Wow what a scary thing! I'm sending strong prayers out to Eagle too!

{{{Hugs}}}

Blood tests show he is slowly improving
default_thumbup.gif
They walked past his stable with a mare to be AI (huge show jumper) and he let them know she is in heat
default_yes.gif
That's my boy!
default_whistling.gif

Oh Renee, terrific news!!! And I love the story about the mare walking by. Aren't animals amazing? Even with all he's been through, he still wanted all to know he's ready if needed!lol

Please keep up posted.

Continued prayers for you both.

Havent read all the posts but I would say obviously a bad reaction to the meds and WHAT and HOW much did he give your horse?!! Like people, some are more sensitive to things, but I would surely find out and NEVER give this to your horse again, regardless of who the vet is.

Never mind- just caught up on what was happening- hope he has a FULL recovery and all goes well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back