Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle

Reaction score
Vet came yesterday and sedated my stallion to do his teeth, when he lifted his head the horse fainted and had a seizure. The vet gave him fenydine (sp) and left. Since then the horse is cold and shaking and won't get up. Vet is coming back.

Sny ideas on what it could be as I have lost faith in this vet. I have called 4 other vets but no one can come.

Thanks

Renee

Wow
default_sad.png
I pray your boy is ok!

Thanks for the prayers. I think the episode has triggered ulcers, the vet came and gave me liquids to warm and give him as a drip to raise his temperature and zantac to give IV and then left. Grrrrrr

He is trying to sit like a dog and still trying to roll.

Sounds like the vet hit the artery rather than the vein. But that is usually a short term thing, half hour at the most.

That just happened to one of ours about a week ago (think the vet hit an artery) so I KNOW how scary it is. We put a blanket on to help with the shaking. Hope your boy recovers with no after-effects. Sending prayers.....

I agree with the others about the artery, but it generally doesn't last this long I don't think. Is there a vet school or a top notch equity facility you can call and discuss over the phone? They may be too far away to come out, but may be willing to do a phone consult. Might be guidance you can then give a local vet.

Hugs to you my friend and prayers for your boy.

Mary with your horse was it immediately after the injection or after a bit? Eagles reaction was after about 5 mins.

Renee I have no answers for you one this one but just wanted to say I hope Eagle gets better real soon. I stilll am not crazy about what i hear of your vet and i so hope you find someone who can really start helping you with your horses health. Hugs to you.

So sorry to hear this, you must be a wreck ! I hope he feels better soon.

Given the time delay between the injection and Eagle's collapse I would have to think this wasn't due to the drug going into the carotid artery. When that happens the reaction occurs in seconds-just the few seconds it takes for the drug to be delivered to the brain.

I wasn't there, someone else was holding her so not sure how fast it happened. Just know it was pretty scary when I walked over!!!! Also, this wasn't a sedative, but IV Lyme Disease treatment so the effect might have been different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see that you posted here Renee - there are some interesting replies and suggestions. I like the idea of trying to get a consultation, via phone, from an equine facility if you can.

Saying prayers for our special boy and sending you ((((HUGS)))) my friend.

So glad you have posted on here Renee, come on eagle!!! Like the idea of the phone consult, anything to help our special man!!!

Praying so much for you Renee!!

I don't remember all the details, but there is some reaction that can happen (rarely) when they raise their heads ... something to do with blocking blood flow to the brain when the vet lifts their head to check teeth, or things like that. Makes them pass out and convulse, but then once blood flow resumes they're okay again. I'm sorry, I can't remember all the specifics, but sounds like a possibility?

I hope he feels better soon.

Do you know what kind of sedative the vet gave to him? If not, I would call to find out as some have been known to bring on seizures. Just a thought, but have you taken his temperature? Some sedatives should never be given in the presence of a fever (not saying he had one, just a possibility). Or maybe an allergic reaction of some kind?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back