help with under weight mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickisminis

Reaction score
Hello, I have taken in many minis in need but I don't know how to go about treating this one. She is extremely under weight and looks to be due very soon. She is so skinny you can't tell if she is dropped but her bag is starting to fill. How fast can I increase her feed without hurting her or her baby? Will she have more issues when it comes to foaling? I have the cameras and alerts but would like a heads up if there could be more issues I am not aware of. She is such a sweet heart and has already wormed her way into my heart. I don't want anything to happen to her so I am trying to get prepared. Thanks, Vicki

I would get your vet out to advise on this one. If she is this late term, you may only be able to increase her hay intake until she foals - BUT A VET WOULD BE BETTER TO ADVISE. You vet should be aware of the situation anyways.

I agree. Get the vet involved. I've gotten in a few SKINNY horses and nursed them back to health. Never a later term preger though! First thing I always do is call my vet out to evaluate and get his advise.

Viki

Latest posts

Back