help with standing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minis_4ever<3

Reaction score
I have this mare that can stand square if she wants to but then she moves and i can't get ther back and she likes to rest her back foot all the time!!! and to fix it i have to move her , messing up the whole squarenesss!! lol anyway suggestions?????

-Cara

I have this mare that can stand square if she wants to but then she moves and i can't get ther back and she likes to rest her back foot all the time!!! and to fix it i have to move her , messing up the whole squarenesss!! lol anyway suggestions?????

-Cara

tee hee i forgot to say that in my avitar she was only standing like that for like 10 sec lol!!! :no:

Hi there! I know just where you're coming from, and I've got a piece of advice for you
default_smile.png

This can be changed, but it takes repetition, repetition, repetition! Get her out when you have a bit of time(say 20-30 minutes) to work with her, take her on little walks and practice stopping and standing. Start out small--only make her stand a length of time that is comfortable for her and walk her off BEFORE she has a chance to make a mistake herself. When she is standing consistently at X amount of time, then up the ante, and make her stand a little longer, a little longer, a little longer and before you know it, she will be standing for the amount of time that you desire of her. LOTS of praise when she does right, too! This makes her WANT to work for you, knowing what you want from her and knowing that she can please you will make a ton of difference.
default_yes.gif
:

As for her resting that back foot...instead of trying to move her feet manually, just lay your hand on the side opposite of the rested foot(right on her butt) and apply a gentle pressure toward the rested foot side. This saves you the frustration of trying to move her and upsetting the whole set up, and gets her to do what you want without messing up the works.

Most of all, good luck with her! Patience, time and love will make it all work out. Have Fun :aktion033:

Jodi

Scoopiedoo has given some excellent advice. I would like to add to it.

You can additionally use some negative reinforcement to alter your mare's behavior. First of all, teach her to back smoothly, sidepass on cue, and pivot on her rear end. Spend at least two or three weeks learning these maneuvers and reinforcing them with praise.

Next, when you want her to stand still, use a voice command such as WHOA. Then, if she moves a foot, put her to work. Back her 10 steps and bring her back forward to her standing position. If she moves again, then use the pivot. After each sideways or backwards move, always walk her forward a couple of steps to re-establish forward motion. Then use your WHOA and cue her to stop. If she even so much as picks up a foot, then back to work with sidepassing.

Eventually, she'll figure out that if she moves, even to kick at a fly, she has to do more difficult work. And at the same time, you've taught your horse some valuable moves that will help you win a trail class.

Latest posts

Back