Help with Show Halters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marles

Reaction score
I'm sure this is an easy question...

My son will be taking his mini into a show for the first time on 7/20 and we are in need of show halters. He will only be doing a halter and showmanship class. Our instructor said that we need one of those refined show halters for halter class and then he can use a leather western one for showmanship. Andrew wants to dress in the western gear (already has hat and boots). I notice that the more refined halters have beads or conchos. I assume that if he is going western, then it should have conchos.

But then when he goes to a show on 8/4, he will be doing jumping....is it a different halter for that too? Ugh!

Not looking to spend a fortune right now since they are just small shows, but don't want him to look out of place and have the wrong gear. What do you all suggest as a good mini store (unfortunately, we don't have many tack stores that carry mini stuff
default_sad.png
)

Any help is greatly appreciated
default_smile.png

Try eBay for inexpensive halters. I've bought a ton on there.

For halter you "need" the fine halter and showmanship the western halter. Jumping you can use your western halter or even a nice stable halter.

Read your show rules. In Pinto shows you MUST use a plain leather halter for hunter classes. And I don't know of any place that "requires" a cable halter for halter although almost everyone does use one and most minis look best in one. To save money I would suggest you get a plain leather halter for showmanship and jumping classes and a cheap cable one for halter. Also - unless the rules say otherwise - you can do showmanship as ENGLISH SHOWMANSHIP with a plain halter and English attire.

When my daughter does open and 4h shows she uses the western or plain leather halter for all classes because a lot of our judges are stock horse judges. If its a mini judge we do both halters.

Latest posts

Back