Help with Contracts for horses.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I have someone wanting my amha/amhr palomino stud. She ask if she could get him then bred him to my mare I used to own who is cremello amha/amhr which is still in my name.She said she would give me two of their foals for him.I told her if I was able to do this.I would keep his amha.amhr papers and turn in the foals paperwork until I get my filly and colt from the pair. My question is does someone have ideals on what all I can put in the contract so it works for both of us.I told her she is take care for all his needs during this time.I told her once I have gotten two foals from them then I would sign him over to her.She has own my cremello mare since 08,but never change into her name,so mare is til in my name.I know the lady so this helps.I want to cover both of us.

Help me with a contract and ideals.I haven't done anything like this before.My stud is already DNA tested and permenant register with both registry and so is the mare.

What all I should put in contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
You just need to spell out everything you want to see happen between her and you involving the horses. Who is to care and pay for what such as feed, farrier care and vet costs, time deadlines if necessary, what happens if the mare can't get in foal or can't carry the foal full term or the foal dies during birth or shortly after, what happens if your stallion is injured or even dies while in her care before the mare produces a foal or both foals, what if she only produces colts, amounts of money to change hands on what dates, etc. Give her a'copy of the contract for her to read and edit if necessary until you both come to complete agreement. Then you BOTH need to sign and keep a copy. Contracts KEEP people friends.

I agree with Lori. One other huge issue, what if the foal is okay at birth and gets sick or injured in the following months? Vet bills add up quick, who will end up paying the bill?

I would just sell the horse outright. It could literally take years.... Or never... For a mare to have two foals. And the foals could be born with severe medical issues, the mare could die... So many unknown variables... And we are not talking about a breed of horse that has $20,000 babies like a Friesian or something... So much easier to sell the horse outright...

I have to say I agree with disneyhorse - I would work out a monetary payment plan rather than waiting on foals, etc. I can easily see this becoming a nasty situation and no one wants that. A contract outlining a payment plan would be a better plan I think.

Latest posts

Back