Help with a cat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Hello.

I was speaking with a close friend of mine today in school, when she told me her cat came home last night with his collar in his mouth adjusted so tight he could not close his mouth or meow. It is currently suspected that someone purposefully did this to the poor cat, seeing as his collar was properly adjusted so it would not naturally or accidently slip into his mouth, so there is really no other way he could have been gagged. The area around his mouth is rubbed raw. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice so I can send it my friends way. I suggested she syringe warm salt water over the area, but I wasn't sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Dan.

Yes you are correct, warm salt water flushes will help to kill the bacteria and help the healing. Also I would recommend that you tell your friend that outside cats should not wear a collar, as collars can and will get caught on all sorts of things.

I hope the kitty will be ok!

NO OUTSIDE CAT SHOULD EVER wear a collar!

I found that out the hard way 24 years ago. I was inside and had my indoor cat on a collar out in the yard. She had gone through a wire fence and gotten caught (collar did) and wrapped herself up so tight trying to get out that the wire had wrapped around her neck and nearly killed her! Would have if the neighbor had not seen and come to get me.

No collars NO MORE

Do not ever think that the collar can not get in the cats mouth. Unless it is really tight they can get a leg cought or cought in it's mouth. I do not like collars on cats indoors or out.

If your friend wants to wear a collar on their cat, there are many SAFE breakaway collars on the market that don't take much pressure at all to pull apart.

I also would NEVER put a collar on a cat that goes outdoors and would ONLY use a breakaway collar if I had to put one on an indoor cat. The cat COULD have done this while washing itself and got it's lower jaw stuck in there by accident...... and in it's struggle, ended up with it like that in it's mouth. I hope the kitty will be ok.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Her cat, Mr. Peanut, is seeming to be doing much better after a few salt water flushes and he is being kept inside until his wounds heal.

From what I understand, he was wearing a break away collar when he came home with it wrapped increadibly tight around his mouth.

Thanks again everyone, so much!!

Dan.

I have to tell you this makes my stomach turn. If it was a human that did this to kitty that's purposely Hurting this cat. Whats next?? I'm pretty sure he won't make it back home. My heart hurts for Mr. Peanut. Maybe you can talk to your friend and see if there is any way she can keep in inside? If this happened once at a humans hands it will happen again. If she can't keep him in I'm positive she could find him a great inside home with putting his story out there
default_yes.gif

I'm a kitty lover so I just thought I'd let you know I was scared for him
default_wub.png

I would do peroxide on the wounds that are on the outside of his mouth. Maybe with a Q tip or cotton ball? I definitely think the salt water would be perfect for anything inside. She could also call her vet for over the phone advice! I know my vet is wonderful about giving you home treatment advice!

I wish your friend and Mr Peanut the best and hope she keeps him safe! My kitty in my avatar is Peanut! Not my choice of name but thats what he came with!! LOL!!
default_wink.png
default_wub.png
He's the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt someone did it to him-I have a break away collar on my kitten at my apartment (because it is mandatory that she has one on at all times otherwise I could not have her), and even with it fit perfectly, she still gets it stuck in her mouth (she does it cleaning herself or trying to get the collar off). Can't stand any collars, break away or not.

Glad he is feeling better!

It's doubtful that a breakaway collar will break when the cat gets it in its mouth--the collar is designed to break if the cat gets caught on something, and in that case the cat will be hanging from or pulling on the collar, so has the cat's weight to make the collar come apart. With the collar wedged in the mouth--there simply isn't enough force to make it come apart.

The others are right--most probably the collar got into this cat's mouth strictly by accident & the cat's own doing.

Glad Mr. Peanut is doing better! I would stick with the natural salt water for healing. Peroxide is very harsh and can damage skin cells and cause scar tissue- a vet told me this years ago (same thing with iodine)

I don't keep collars on my Livestock Guardian Dogs either, they're out 24/7 and I've heard too many horror stories about collars hurting or killing dogs.

Agree with HG Farm, no peroxide! The best thing to do would be to call the vet, find out what they recommend for treatment. I'm so glad that the kitty was able to come home to get that collar removed, yikes!

The type of breakaway collar I am referring to would definitely break away easily even if in the mouth. It does not break the collar...not the typen with the elastic pieces. The one I am referring to has a very light plastic connector for a buckle. It barely takes anything and it pops open. I know because I bought one of these cat collars for Monkey and have a hard time trying to keep it on him because if I even pull very lightly to readjust it it pulls apart.

Latest posts

Back