HELP When is a foal viable?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueprintminis

Reaction score
How far along must a mare be for a foal to be viable if it is delivered?

I have a mare, big in foal, who was in pasture last summer (with the stallion) from Aug 2nd thru Aug 31st.

This would make her anywhere from 264 days minimum to 293 days maximum in foal, depending on when she actually was covered and conceived.

This will be foal #5 for her and I have yet to be present at any of her births. She has had her foals anywhere from 301 days to 320 days. It seems that she keeps going earlier and earlier and has had everyone of them out back in the pasture. So......this year I brought her in real early and have her under the camera. Last night she was SO restless, up and down, eating her hay like she was afraid someone was going to steal it. Her back end has started to drop off, just minimal congestion in her udder at this time.

Anyway, I'm still hoping she will not go before 300 days, but got to wondering if she does foal soon, will the foal be considered "term".

Thanks. You all know so much. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll hear different numbers from different sources. I pray my mares hit at least the 300 day mark. 290 is the earliest I would expect a viable foal though I know some forum members have had foals born earlier that survived. I believe anything under 320 days is considered premature....though we've all had healthy foals that are born in the 300-320 day range. Hope that helps and I hope your mare holds off and delivers a healthy foal for you!!

264 would not be viable. The earliest we have had them born and live is 283 days. If there is udder development early some people have been successful giving TMZ and getting them to keep the foal longer.

If you have a halter alarm system I would put in on her and just watch her. The fact that you have her in a stall under camera is a huge help if she does foal early. Make sure you have tiny foal blankets available if needed.

Some mares get restless like yours and then settle down. A lot depends on the horse and how the foal is laying or moving. Some mares just seem to feel everything and react. Others are more stoic and you do not see a much of a reaction even when the foal is moving a lot.

Thanks for the answers. I just need to add that all of her prior foals, even the "earliest" one at 301 days, have all been "done". Up on their legs, strong, very healthy and viable, so I don't think she is foaling early because of early placental separation or anything like that. I was just curious as to whether or not there was a difinitive cut off as to how early is too early. I hate pasture breeding for just this reason. When I hand breed I KNOW the date (within a day or two) of when they conceived.

I do not think 264 would be viable...having said that I had a mare abort at 267 and the foal looked full term, to the point where the Vet queried the dates (she was hand bred so I was certain) and the same mare delivered a full term, very much alive, foal the next year at day 287, BUT she always does this, and I do believe, after six foals now, she has a ten month gestation (I had an Arab who was the same).

There is not an awful lot you can do that you have not already done but be sure we will be crossing everything for you, if you get to day 300 you should be OK.

Get the mare to cross her legs, as well!
default_smile.png

I had a filly born 6 weeks early this year. I'm not sure what day that would have been Mom was bred may 5th and fillly was born feb 18th! Other than her coat being a little shorter than normal she was a perfect healthy filly that had no problems getting to her feet and nursing. She was quicker to do all the normal foal stuff than my full term babies. When they are ready they are ready. The vet wanted to put my mare on the stuff to make her go longer but i'm glad i just let nature take its course.

Back