Help! Pregnant mare or Mastitis???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Reaction score
I have a 19yr old mini mare that i recently noticed had a swollen udder! She has been pastured with a stallion for 2yrs now but the thing is, I would think she was pregnant but I could have sworn she came in heat about a month ago so I didn't know if they had a 'fake heat' where the hormones made her/him think she was in heat. If not then could this be a case of mastitis even though she wasn't producing milk prior to this?

I did squeeze her udder and clear/very light yellow/orange liquid squirted out with pressure behind it, so it didn't just drip out, there is no odor to it, but it is slightly sticky. Lately she seems sluggish and is laying down to sleep ALOT more than usual, even when the stallion gets her up she looks for a place to lay down agian. I'm very worried cuz I only have the 2 minis and I LOOOVEEE her to death!!! If she is pregnant I have to remove the stallion immediatly because he has killed a baby goat in the past and I dont trust him with a foal! So please help me figure this out, its urgent!!!!

Also she does not look pregnant to me, she is a lil chubby but it looks more like she is just chubby from the grass, but her belly isn't hanging down or that large, not like some of the ones I have seen!

Last edited by a moderator:
It definitely sounds like she could be pregnant and getting close to foaling. Can you post pictures of her and of her udder?

Pictures Please???? 2 years with a stallion?? Yikes, I would go nuts trying to figure this one out!!

I would get ahold of a vet
default_no.gif

Here is some pics, she is a mess from being in the pasture all day haha! Also in the udder pic she was bitten by flies which are awful right now, so thats the reason for the lil bit of blood.

6.9.09_044.jpg

6.9.09_056.jpg

She has a bit of a belly going...she could very well be pregnant but I would have a vet look at her to make sure one way or the other!
default_yes.gif

I would have to agree to have the vet out. She has a bit of a belly but not huge so she could be preg and having problems. She could be preg and have mastitis. Her uder looks lumpy to me, so it would concern me, would not wait to long on it.

The vets around here are pretty bad so I don't have a good vet to come out besides one that is 60 miles away and costs $65 just to enter the driveway! Her udder is lumpy because we have a ton of horseflies out here and they were attacking her and making large bumps, they are otherwise smooth and normal.

This is going to sound a bit harsh, but $65 isn't that bad for a farm call, it is actually pretty average (at least this part of the country). You have a stallion pastured with a mare, now you think she may or may not be in foal. Sorry, you owe it to your mare to pay the money and have her checked out. She didn't ask to be pastured with a stallion, that was your choce. She is in a higher risk catagory due to her age, if she is in foal, you need some approx. dates in case she has trouble foaling. It is not only a foal that may be at risk, but also your mare if she runs into trouble foaling. The vets fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind and a chance to be prepared if she is in foal. Just my two cents.

Yes I agree with the previous poster. Mares can come in heat while in foal. You should have her chprego ecked and probably wean the stallion(lol) from her. She looks prego to me
default_rolleyes.gif
Good Luck

yeah your both right. I love My Missy May
default_wub.png
and wouldn't wanna lose her due to my stupidity and irresponsiblity. I'm gunna give a shout to the vet, maybe he will let me charge it and pay him in bits or something. But your right, it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind, and I know I want to be there for the birth!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

I WORK AT A VET'S OFFICE... I LIVE 34 MILES AWAY AND THE TRIP FEE IS $68... MAYBE YOU COULD HAUL HER TO THE VET AND SAVE YOURSELF SOME MONEY RIGHT OFF THE BAT. SO 60 MILES FOR $65 IS A GREAT DEAL... IMO.

Latest posts

Back