HELP PLEASE *Sick Foal*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I thought culture too. I didn't realise the foal wasn't sick either. That is very odd considering the visual of those photos, however once drainage occurs the lameness can subside somewhat, but I can't believe that foal isn't septic either.
I am no vet and don't have all the pieces of the puzzle, just hoping the outcome is ok for the long term. Were this my foal I would be very worried indeed.

I thought about my comment later about the swellings on the side being injection sites and had already decided that was bit far fetched guess but didn't have time to repost a change last night:)

Should take progressive photos to compare side by side. Thats what I do, easier to look at progressive time photos to see if you see any differences... I did this when my guys were gelded so I could see progression and healing and my vet lets me send photos to her so she can give an opinion during the waiting period for healing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also concerned that it wasn't recommended to try and keep the drainage areas open, or to inject diluted betadine or antibiotic into the drainage areas, or to at least clean daily. I would also keep this little one away from the others as well. Problem is we don't have a diagnosis so maybe it is something else altogether, but for the life of me I don't know what.

I would go for a 2nd opinion elsewhere. Babies can crash so fast- and the current vet obviously has no clue. Sure hoping someone can save this little one.

Flesh-eating bacteria? I second having the vet culture it. I lost my surprise pony foal last year to leg wounds that appeared suddenly. I had the vet out and she had been on a large dose antibiotics for a blind eye. Nobody could figure it out, but I think it ended up being a antibiotic-resistant bacteria because she was on a high dosage of antibiotics as a newborn to help clear her eye. It proved too much for her young immunity. The eye never healed and I lost her from complications to the leg wounds. She had everything that possibly could have gone wrong and it still twists my stomach in knots. She was so beautiful, a buckskin pinto. She was just the sweetest surprise and it was heartbreaking. The wounds started out similarly to this. Please have this foal cultured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joint ill was my first thought also…I have no personal experience w/ it; just recalling what I have read and heard over time. I would definitely second getting a second opinion ASAP, if possible from a verifiably EXPERT equine vet. Best wishes for a good result for this baby,

Margo

Doesn't seem characteristic of Joint Ill. Post also indicated that there was an abscess on the chest area also. It's not Strangles or brat Strangles either based on the symptoms exhibited.

If you look at the photos it looks like the front hoof on the opposing side is showing some signs of reaction to something also. It almost looks like a reaction to some sort of plant material in the pasture or bite reaction.

I have never had to deal with a case of joint ill, but the ones I have known of did not start draining this way. They also did not cause abscesses on the body. I have to think that if a case of joint ill got bad enough that the infection started draining on it's own, that foal would be seriously ill overall--not bright and alert as seems to be the case with this one. I do not see these drainages coming from inside the joint capsule--quite possibly caused by something the foal is coming into contact with. Either something that is highly irritating to the skin (and this looks worse than a skin allergy) or something that is causing a puncture or abrasion to the area.

Joint ill can drain anywhere- it just is not classic at all- for a start it usually shows up a lot earlier, but I still think it is, or possibly just started as, joint ill.

PIGEON FEVER!!! Has this foal been tested for pigeon fever??

How is the foal doing?

Latest posts

Back