Help on Buying First Harness?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I have some cash in flow coming in which I've decided to spend on a vet bill (floating!
default_aktion033.gif
) and driving supplies.

I have roughly $522 to spend.

I've been looking around and have decided that it would be safer to break down and buy something worth my money and not something off of ebay or something for $100.

I'm hoping to be able to re-use this harness set that I buy over the next coming years. I have three horses that I'd love to break in it.

Except, I really don't know how to choose a quality harness. Or...exactly what I need.

I have an older lady who's going to help me train my mare. She said that she'd loan me a harness until I get my own. She said that we'll be spending A LOT of time ground driving.

I don't want to sound really ignorant or anything. I have help (who has trained before with her husband), the resources, and the time, but I just don't know what I need exactly to start out!

What kind of harness?

What other kind of stuff?

-bits

-whips

-driving lines

Would you all be kind enough to help me find what I'm looking for? I'm looking at Ozark at the moment because of their selection.

Thank you so much!

You're wise to skip the cheapo ebay harnesses that never fit any real horses.

Ozark is an EXCELLENT place to start. The Pleasure Harness and the Carriage Harness are sturdy enough for training, trail driving and CDE, yet nice enough for the breed show ring.

I have no personal experience with Star Lake, but I've heard good things about their harness as well.

If you aren't overly concerned about looks, Amber Hills (formerly Ron's Harness) has a solid, well-padded (but somewhat bulky and homely) harness at a very reasonable price.

The driving lines will usually come with the harness. For bit and whip, I would make use of the opportunity to see what your trainer has and see what works for you and your horse.

DO NOT use the bit that typically comes with any harness -- they will pinch and make your horse generally uncomfortable.

As for using the same harness on all of your horses, that may or may not work, depending upon their sizes. There's no harm in trying, but just be sure not to try to make do with an ill-fitting harness -- you want to give them each a good start with a comfortable harness.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're wise to skip the chepo ebay harnesses that never fit any real horses.

Ozark is an EXCELLENT place to start. The Pleasure Harness and the Carriage Harness are sturdy enough for training, trail driving and CDE, yet nice enough for the breed show ring.

I have no personal experience with Star Lake, but I've heard good things about their harness as well.

If you aren't overly concerned about looks, Amber Hills (formerly Ron's Harness) has a solid, well-padded (but somewhat bulky and homely) harness at a very reasonable price.

The driving lines will usually come with the harness. For bit and whip, I would make use of the opportunity to see what your trainer has and see what works for you and your horse.

DO NOT use the bit that typically comes with any harness -- they will pinch and make your horse generally uncomfortable.

As for using the same harness on all of your horses, that may or may not work, depending upon their sizes. There's no harm in trying, but just be sure not to try to make do with an ill-fitting harness -- you want to give them each a good start with a comfortable harness.

Good luck and have fun!
Its all because of you guys! Every one has always said that you get what you pay for. I absolutely don't want to waste $100 that could go for something better!

I really do like the look of the Carriage harness, but the Pleasure harness is more in my price range (both are, but I'd like to have some left over for feed and gas)

I like the pleasure harness, but whats the difference between a sidecheck and a overcheck? Which one should I get?

I could get a duel check for $40 cheaper, but I don't understand what they are....It says that you can get both if you're not sure which your horse would work better with so that sounds better to me honestly.

It doesn't say that it comes with reins though? Only a bit....

And if the bit included is usually uncomfortable then what kind should I get?

The Ozark Pleasure harness is a good choice--very affordable and still good quality, and it should fit very well. That is what I have as my every day training harness; I bought it in 2002 or 2003, not sure which it was, and it's still in great shape & will clean up nicely if I need it for showing. I did add a few larger parts to make it fit better on my 37-38" horses but I don't think your horses are that big so the standard harness should do nicely.

For bits--I would suggest one from Mini Express. She sells a nice french link bit--you can get it with a copper mouth or a stainless steel mouth with copper link. Unless your horse is very good about not pulling the bit into her teeth & grinding on it (I have some that don't do that, but a few do it and I can't use the full copper mouthpiece on them--they'd grind it up in no time) I would suggest the stainless steel bit with copper link. I think it's about $30. I do have a few Minis that work well in the single jointed snaffle, but I do find that most prefer the french link and so that is what I use in most instances.

As for which check to get--I would go with the sidecheck. I did get dual checks with some of my harness but never use the overcheck--I would probably use it only if I were showing in roadster, where the overcheck is required. I can't say that I have ever had a horse prefer the overcheck to a sidecheck--and very often around home I don't use a check at all.

Yes, if you order the pleasure harness (or carriage harness is the same) you do get lines with it--the harness comes with everything you need to drive your horse, not counting the cart of course.
default_biggrin.png

All of those harnesses a good sound basics but remember to get breeching- I think all those come with it, but just reminding you.

Unless you are showing you will not need a check rein of any sort- I would never train a horse in one anyway as they can mess the mouth up however loose they are (never been able to understand that, if they are as loose as people say, why use them?) If you take this over to the driving forum you will get a lot more answers.....

*and we do not bite*

Jane--anyone that is training a horse for the show (breed) ring pretty much has to do some training with a check--I personally don't think it is fair to the horse to never use a check at home & then put one on him to go into the show ring.

Yes, a check can mess up the mouth, but it doesn't have to. I do use a check from time to time & have never yet had it mess up the mouth!

I would actually point out that just using a bit can mess up a mouth (and I have seen that happen many times--there are many ham fisted riders/drivers who don't know how to use a bit properly and their horses suffer for it!) but that doesn't mean I never use a bit & it certainly doesn't mean that I (and everyone) will mess up a horse's mouth by using a bit.

I had the carriage harness from Ozark, I was happy with it, but sold it this summer (no longer showing, just kept my every day harness).

I think since you are just getting started and want to use this for a few different horses over the next couple years, your best bet is the pleasure harness from them. It is a nice starter harness, nice enough to get your feet wet in the local show ring,and to use for training and everyday use. The carriage harness would hurt the pocket book a bit more if it should get some added wear.

I would say start off with the pleasure harness so you can get some miles under your belt, then you can always invest in a fancier harness if you decide to further yourself and go into the show ring. Either way, Ozarks harnesses are a good choice.

I like the Ozark Pleasure harness, too. Here's a picture of my mare wearing that harness, with my 9 year old nephew driving in a class at our county fair (they got first place out of 8!).

Everything you see her wearing came with the harness, except the bit. I totally agree with finding a bit that fits your horse and that your horse goes well in, rather than simply using the one that comes with the harness (I use a french link snaffle). I also got both the over-check and side-check. She goes well in either one, but I wanted to have the choice. The breeching is light (only one strap and buckle, not two), but it does the job. I like the way the bridle fits her, leaving plenty of room around her eyes for her eyelashes. We did have to punch a few holes in some straps to improve the fit, but every horse is different and one size does not necessarily fit all!

Good luck to you and have fun driving!

Sally_Hunter08-2011_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ozark is "fine" and I know it is popular on this forum, but as far as I know, the Pleasure harness saddle doesn't have a tree. A tree is PARAMOUNT in my opinion, as it keeps the saddle from pinching the horse's spine. There are way too many minis out there that have to put up with that from their unknowing owners, and therefore go around in a hollow frame with a crabby attitude, especially in the rein back . Yes, some "more round" minis don't have problems with pinching, but as they get older, they may as the body falls away from the spine. We had that happen with our horses, too, in the past before we knew better and therefore I won't buy a harness without a tree OR a highly padded saddle WITH gullet clearance for the spine, like a Zilco. "Strap" saddles are not sufficient.

I recommend the Iowa Valley Carriage miniature harness in either leather or synthetic for the money. Yes, it is a little more, but you get what you pay for, and you can get a custom fit for no extra charge. "Buy quality, cry once."

Myrna

Myrna--my Ozark pleasure harness is padded quite nicely and has good clearance for the spine. I am very pleased with it in that respect--I actually commented on it the other day when I had it on my pony Tim, who is very slim bodied and would have an issue if the saddle were sitting right across his spine. He's not thin or bony by any means, but he is not well rounded/padded either the way many Minis are. I can't say what the majority of the pleasure harnesses are like, the same, or if mine is just a fluke.

Since you are in Iowa I would recommend contacting Mike Herron at Herron Stables in Des Moines. He has several types of harnesses in several price ranges and he can help you find the right one for your goals. He also has all the accessories(bits, whips etc.) that you would need for driving. He is very knowledgeable about all the equipment since he has been training minis, shetlands and those crazy hackney ponies for years. Check out his website and tack sales at www.herronstables.com. Good Luck in your driving experience!

I bought my first (and only) harness from Iowa Valley Carriage...I love it! It was specially made by my measurements, yet has the space to be adjusted up or down yet...looks nice, the fit was GREAT! (it fit my measured horse right smack dab in the middle setting everywhere, so I could use it on a smaller or larger mini). My harness is betathane....looks like leather, but hose it off and hang it up. Still looks just as great as when I bought it...oh, maybe 4 years ago.

I just drive for fun, no showing...so didn't need anything fancy, but this is nice, well made, and nice to look at too!

http://www.iowavalleycarriage.com/

Latest posts

Back