Help! My mare paces.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cricket8

Reaction score
Need help. I have a 2 yr old filly who I have broke to the cart and is doing wonderfully but, she paces. She paces in the field, in hand, as well as in the cart. We have tried weighted bell boots and yet she still paces. I find itme novel but, the judges wont :/. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance.

If the pacing is that strong in this mare that she does it all the time, I'm afraid that you don't fix it. I would say that you have a nice driving horse that paces and if you want to show you will need to find a horse that is not lateral gaited.

We have her mother and she is beautifully gaited. We are currently re-breaking her to the cart after an accident many years ago when she wasn't with us. The filly is very nice to drive its just saddening that she wont do anything but pace. How common is this? Everyone thought she was single footing but, she full on paces. Oh well I guess.

In the minis I don't think pacing is too common. I have never encountered one that paces but someone did once tell me he knew of one herd that had some pacers in it.

We had a Morgan mare that would singlefoot but only in certain circumstances--you had to cue her for it before she would do it under saddle. One of her daughters was the same way--more inclined to gait than her mother but under saddle she wouldn't do it as long as you didn't encourage her to do it. These mares had beautiful trots. Someone else had two closely related mares--maternal sisters to our old mare--and his mares paced. One paced most of the time, the other would swap back and forth between trot and pace. He tried to show her in dressage but it did not work. He could not prevent the mare from pacing and she would swap gaits as she pleased. He gave up and sold both mares. I was thankful that our mares were not pacers, closely related as they were to those others.

I have seen 3 minis that naturally pace and one that single foots...always wanted to breed gaited minis myself bet AMHR closed before I could get started...

Don't make me swear to this but I think there is a method of training off the track harness horses (standardbreds) to trot instead of pace. I have no idea how, not something that I have had to deal with but if you search on line for re-training for OTT harness horses there may be something. Someone on one of the big horse forums might have an idea. Good luck

The only thing is--Standardbreds often trot AND pace naturally from birth. They often trot when turned out. When they are racing they are trained to not break from a pace--but the trot is still there. When they are taken from the track they can be encouraged to trot, and they will learn that it is okay to trot. Sometimes they have to be ridden in a bitless bridle, because use of a but may be reminding them that they are supposed to pace. Sometimes it is a matter of keeping them relaxed, then they trot--if they get anxious they revert to pacing. It depends on the horse. But--the thing is in the Standardbreds the trot is there.

If this Mini always paces and especially if she is pacing even when turned out and she is in the company of one or more diagonally gaited horses--then it seems unlikely that anyone will be successful in getting her to trot.

I once knew someone that raised Walking Ponies--Tennessee Walkers crossed on...Welsh ponies I think it was?...and they were gaited like the TWH. The breeder said, though, that he had to be sure not to turn them out with trotting horses. If they were out in a group of trotting horses they were likely to abandon their lateral gait and take to trotting instead. If this mare is out with trotting horses and still paces and never trots then it seems the pace is very strong in her.

You cant do this in the cart but you can slowly teach her to trot in hand using ground poles. You space them to the point where she is actually forced to trot. She will always return back to pacing if shes scared or nervous so you need to keep her calm and keep calm yourself. Only ever ask her to trot over those poles. Dont do it anywhere else. What you need to do is teach her muscles how to trot. Trotting and pacing use different muscles and balance. Try the poles for 5 months before you try getting her to trot not over them. This is not something you are going to be able to train out over night.

Horses can be taught gaits that are not natural for them. They will adapt to those around too.

Weve had a POA mare with no gaiting no sign of being gaited who when broke to ride (She was aweful to break and had to be ponied for a long time with and with out a rider because she was just a bronc) She was ponied off the only horse in the field not scared of her which was a BIG BIG Tennessee Walker Gelding. Who single footed and racked. The mare learned how to do that.

The only thing is--Standardbreds often trot AND pace naturally from birth. They often trot when turned out. When they are racing they are trained to not break from a pace--but the trot is still there. When they are taken from the track they can be encouraged to trot, and they will learn that it is okay to trot. Sometimes they have to be ridden in a bitless bridle, because use of a but may be reminding them that they are supposed to pace. Sometimes it is a matter of keeping them relaxed, then they trot--if they get anxious they revert to pacing. It depends on the horse. But--the thing is in the Standardbreds the trot is there.

If this Mini always paces and especially if she is pacing even when turned out and she is in the company of one or more diagonally gaited horses--then it seems unlikely that anyone will be successful in getting her to trot.

I once knew someone that raised Walking Ponies--Tennessee Walkers crossed on...Welsh ponies I think it was?...and they were gaited like the TWH. The breeder said, though, that he had to be sure not to turn them out with trotting horses. If they were out in a group of trotting horses they were likely to abandon their lateral gait and take to trotting instead. If this mare is out with trotting horses and still paces and never trots then it seems the pace is very strong in her.
I certainly can't argue with you Minimor. Like I said I have no personal experience with a pacer at all so was just offering a possible source of info for Cricket8. I appreciate your clarifying the idea, good to know the facts.

We own stbs and we use toe weights, toe angles, weights, and trotting hopples to keep them flat. We have a mare who trots jogging and paces racing. We were somewhat able to get the mini to trot while wearing weighted bell boots but as soon as we asked her to go forward she paced again. Changed her angles today and she was still pacing. Guess I am stuck with a pacing mini. Trying to get videos to show you all. Thanks for the insight. You'd think I would know what to do seeing we own pacers and trotters. :/

Why don't you work her over ground poles? That's how many people get their pacers to trot. Very simple solution.

This is so interesting.

Can someone please tell me what do ''single footing'' and ''racking'' mean.

I only skimmed the other replies, just an off hand experience.. Are you sure she paces? Quite a few Miniatures are known to have stifle issues - one of mine required surgery.

Don't have much advice if she truly is a pacer except listen to the knowledgable ones that have posted, of course best of luck.. I owned biggies for multiple years before minis (12 yrs. owning minis) they are an amazing breed!

She is for sure a pacer. Love the stb breed as well. We are going to leave her pacing as she isn't much to look at anyways. I hate to make her do what isn't natural to her. Still trying to get videos up.

Latest posts

Back