Help for Mosquitoes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherB

Reaction score
We are moving to new place and after buying it found out there are always mosquitoes. I am very concerned

And wondering what we can do that works well but safe.

Thanks!!!! Also where can I buy large barn screens for main barn door?

Heather

Try FarmTek for the door screens; they seem to have just about everything.

Aside from insecticide sprays I don't know what you do about mosquitos. It does help to removed as much standing water as you can (unused water tanks should be emptied, don't let water sit in barrels and such for any length of time. Mosquito dunks are supposed to be fine for people and other animals (I think they are supposed to just work on mosquitos, I think they interrupt the life cycle; but might affect other aquatic insects, I'm not sure).

There are pellets that contain a mosquito predator that when thrown in standing water will hatch and attack the larval stage (the one that wriggles in the water) Also hi power fans can help keep the horses free of mosquitoes and flys. Like Chanda says, try to eliminate standing water, also keep grass trimmed since mosquitoes live in and on grass/low bushes and only need to bite to get the protein in blood to make eggs. There are also a variety of insect repellents that will help to keep them off you and others to keep them away from the horses but they are short term, must be reapplied every day or at least every few days (never have seen a repellent that lasts as long as the maker claims) They are relatively safe but are a toxic chemical and so not 100%, sure wouldn't want to eat any myself but if the bugs are really bad it may be the only really effective choice. Oh, don't forget the fly sheets etc. that create a physical barrier too.

Empty and refill water troughs and buckets regularly, and as soon as you see any mosquito larvae swimming in the water. Every time you refill drop or few drops of orange oil on top of the filled trough. Orange oil is normally found at whole food/natural food stores in the section where all the essential oils are. It is oil, not orange extract. It can also be purchased online.

We also have an electric bug zapper plugged in at our big outdoor building for which the barn is part of. You can also purchase concentrated garlic oil by the half gallon and mix it with (can't remember if it is water or vegetable oil) and put it in a pump sprayer. We spray around the stalls, dog houses, flower beds, etc. It is rather pricey but it works. We buy it online. We also have citronella buckets, tiki torches, citronella lamps, and citronella plants out on our front porch.

Thanks everyone!!! Any more tips would be great, too. We live now by a creek with not a mosquito in site but the new place is also near a creek and the stall not far from it and it is major mosquitoville!!!!!!! We were lied when we asked if they had mosquitoes so now very upset and overwhelmed!!!!! Are there and companies in Ohio that spray natural sprays? I am thinking the whole area might need spraued a few times to begin with. Thanks so much for all the advice!!!!!!

Something else I do is add apple cider vinegar to the water tubs. The extra acidity makes it unattractive to mosquitoes, the horses who drink the water are also less bothered by mosquitoes. I use about 2 cups per 100 gallon tub but if you have horses who are unsure about changes in taste go with half that and work up. Good luck, mosquitoes are no fun.

X Floridan here and boy I hate mosquitoes like you cannot believe. They torture the horses something awful. Any oil base spray might work for a while, citronella spray is a good one but honestly, the best thing you can do is to get your stalls as far away from the creek as possible,. keep the place mowed and the horse under fans during peak times. Also go to www.minitack.com and I highly recommend the mesh fly sheets and matching bug mask.

One more: Fly sticks. I like Catchmaster Gold Fly Sticks but there are other brands. I use them year round hanging them in stalls, run ins, dog kennel, and even from tree llimbs. They hold kazillions of mosquitoes, flies, horse flies, dirt dabbers, spiders, gnats, wasps, yellow jackets, fleas, and anything else that flies or hops.

Latest posts

Back