Help! First-time pregnant horse owner going crazy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsysmama

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm hoping I can get some advice. I rescued a mini horse that lived in my neighborhood. It was a strange petting zoo on a residential property that got shut down and all the animals were free to good homes or else they were going to a shelter. I use to feed these animals through the fence so I know there was 1 mare, 2 studs, and a gelded pony in an open field together for a few years. I took the female and named her Gypsy, my neighbor took the Pony and we rehomed the 2 studs. This was at the end of July. On August 7th I had a vet come out to do a health checkup on her to make sure she had her vax, worming and just check her overall health. The people that ran this petting zoo spoke zero English so I couldn't get any information. The vet said Gypsy was in overall good health other than being overweight. She confirmed she was approximately 4.5 years old and approximately 8 months pregnant! This was done through an ultrasound. We were anticipating a baby in October/November.
Fast forward to December, no baby. The vet came out again on 12/7 did another ultrasound and thinks she saw the image of the baby's head and said she would be surprised if the baby didn't come in January BUT she said she was 99% sure she was pregnant. I wanted 100% so I had another vet come out on 12/23 this vet went in with her arm, no ultrasound and said she felt the baby and she's in her last trimester. But she's still very overweight and I need to get her weight under control.
We are no in mid-march and I don't see any signs of this baby except for the weight gain. My entire life has been on hold since august preparing for this baby and I don't know what to do. If she's not pregnant, I will like to start doing some ground driving and training to help get her weight down but if she is pregnant, I don't want to push her. I'm just going a little crazy so I appreciate any feedback.
Also posted some photos here. The first one is when I got her in august, the 2nd one is the ultrasound from December, 3rd one is in February and the last 3 are from March 16

Attachments

• August 4.jpg
    August 4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0396 (3).jpg
    IMG_0396 (3).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1
  • March 16 side.jpg
    March 16 side.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
  • March 16 utter.jpg
    March 16 utter.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2
  • March 16 utter2.jpg
    March 16 utter2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 2
  • March 16.jpg
    March 16.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Ultrasound.JPG
    Ultrasound.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
I think they can mess up an ultrasound, but it's hard to mess it up if they palpate and feel a foal. It's a little hard for me to tell from the pictures, but she appears to have more of an udder than my mare who is due any day now. I would guess that they were just wrong about how far along she was the first time. I think it's pretty hard to tell past a certain point. In the meantime there isn't any reason you can't start her on some light exercise. Going for walks with a little bit of trotting isn't going to hurt her any. I wouldn't do anything strenuous, but that's more because she is overweight and out of shape than being pregnant.

I think they can mess up an ultrasound, but it's hard to mess it up if they palpate and feel a foal. It's a little hard for me to tell from the pictures, but she appears to have more of an udder than my mare who is due any day now. I would guess that they were just wrong about how far along she was the first time. I think it's pretty hard to tell past a certain point. In the meantime there isn't any reason you can't start her on some light exercise. Going for walks with a little bit of trotting isn't going to hurt her any. I wouldn't do anything strenuous, but that's more because she is overweight and out of shape than being pregnant.
Thank you for responding. I really appreciate it. I was so freaked out I had the vet out again ($230 vet call). She did palpate this time and felt the baby and felt it flutter! She can't tell me when she will deliver but I'm happy to know she's still got a baby in there. Exciting you're expecting one any day!

Udders today. Does it look like she's getting a bag?

Attachments

• 263E0596-0D13-4973-A285-0F7C047FA3DD.jpeg
    263E0596-0D13-4973-A285-0F7C047FA3DD.jpeg
    957.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 93E37EFA-730C-48D5-B9F0-D7823EF42519.jpeg
    93E37EFA-730C-48D5-B9F0-D7823EF42519.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
This whole scenario is where I am with my mare. She looks pregnant to me. The test’s I did first 2 positive and 2 negative. So confusing.
How far along do you think your mare is? What signs is she showing?
Gypsy hasn't had had prgnacy tests or blood work. Friday would have been her 4th vet 2 ultrasound and 2 palpate confirming so I'm feeling confident in the pregnancy just not the due date. Been waiting almost 9 months since the first ultrasound 😩

She was in with a stud for 4 days last June and she was covered when I picked her up. The stallions owner said the was breeding her for 1/2 the day before I picked her up. She was in heat.

She was in with a stud for 4 days last June and she was covered when I picked her up. The stallions owner said the was breeding her for 1/2 the day before I picked her up. She was in heat.
Ugh, so possibly may? Do you see any visual signs of foaling? I honestly have no idea when Gypsy was bred. She had a big belly in May which made everyone think she was in foal but she couldn't have been showing that soon. She's also very chubby which i'm working on too.

Mare stare is no longer active. There is a group called Marewatchers on Facebook that kinda replaced it. She’s definitely starting an udder but should have a ways to go. It’s very normal for it to be fuller in the morning than in the evening. Take a look at my thread to see some foaling udders.

Mare stare is no longer active. There is a group called Marewatchers on Facebook that kinda replaced it. She’s definitely starting an udder but should have a ways to go. It’s very normal for it to be fuller in the morning than in the evening. Take a look at my thread to see some foaling udders.
Wow, I just figured out how to view your thread and saw your new baby! So cute!
Her udders changed so much from Thursday night to Saturday when she foaled. I can't believe how fast that can happen.

Is it normal to have one udder slightly bigger than the other? Today progress photos if anyone is interested

Attachments

• 772D3308-EDBD-4161-81F4-B9EEDF5F1008.jpeg
    772D3308-EDBD-4161-81F4-B9EEDF5F1008.jpeg
    1,010.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1AE7F948-F60D-4044-AA60-C1E604B6B8F2.jpeg
    1AE7F948-F60D-4044-AA60-C1E604B6B8F2.jpeg
    975.5 KB · Views: 1
  • EEBEE393-F688-4276-8D60-5C462492E36F.jpeg
    EEBEE393-F688-4276-8D60-5C462492E36F.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back