Help Choosing First Show Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GloriaJaney

Reaction score
Last year, Cuzco and I did only three shows, one of which I used a QH style show halter, and the other two I borrowed an arabian style halter from a friend. I thought that the QH style one made him look just a little too chunky (his poor head can use all the help it can get
default_rolleyes.gif
), so this year I'm looking at getting something more refined and minimal.

What are your favorite styles/ whats "in" right now? I don't want to buy a nice used one just to find out that the reason it's being sold is that it's out of fashion. Also, as far as nose bands go, metallic, patent, or sparkly? I'm also looking for under $100 to start with, don't want to spend a ton on just a halter when I have SO much driving stuff to buy too!

Thank you for your ideas in advance!!

IMG_0733.jpg

Are you goiing to be showing in showmanship or halter?

I am in Montana as well although a ways from you, what shows did you go to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Both Halter and Showmanship!

I went to a small winter show in Powell WY, Big Sky State Games, and MontanaFair. Where at in MT are you? If you don't mind me asking!
default_smile.png

if you want to keep the cost down this should do the job ,. this is complete with lead etc , I have one in a different colour and they are strong, only 30 dollars so cheap enough to tide you over

http://www.ebay.ie/i...=item19d51c3d18

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from another Montanan, and I couldn't be further from either of you if I were in another state (I'm in the far northeast corner of the state). I don't show, so can't help you on the halter issue; I'm sure someone will have lots of advice to offer. If you get either breed magazine, check out the halters in the win pics.

Welcome from another Montanan, and I couldn't be further from either of you if I were in another state (I'm in the far northeast corner of the state). I don't show, so can't help you on the halter issue; I'm sure someone will have lots of advice to offer. If you get either breed magazine, check out the halters in the win pics.
Ooh good idea! Thank you!! Nice to see so many Montanans on here! You would think we would have more shows, but as always, I suppose MT just isn't important enough!
default_yes.gif

Good advice to look through pictures of winning horses or professionally taken pictures as they will give you a very good idea of what looks best on each type of horse. Fit is just as important as style, and so is making sure it is adjusted properly.

One of the biggest mistakes I see many people make is that they leave the headstall WAY too long so that the nose band sits way too low on the nose, making the head look out of proportion and clunky. If you measure your horse's head - for the length of the headstall-measure from just below the tear bone, over the poll and to just below the tear bone on other side....so that the noseband would sit just about where you have the halter in your picture. And then measure over the nose so that the rings would allow the headstall to fit comfortably below the eyes. Too many use a noseband that is too small and then the cheek pieces of the headstall sit almost on the horse's eyes. Yuck.

Latest posts

Back