Heidi.....being a prankster

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She sure will! Have you sat out in the pasture with them? I'll bet baby will be quite inquisitive and Pnut will learn to let loose a bit!

I wouldn't work Cam yet either. I realize I hadn't answered before - DUH! Since he's still growing, when you do start working him don't do it every day, just like every other day -- to give you a chance to see if he's gotten any soreness after his exercise. You don't want to stress the joints -- especially when they are doing their turns, so by giving him a day in between, you can clearly see if he's "over done" something.

LOVE the new pictures!!

We worked Cam on just some easy fun things yesterday and I will wait a bit before doing any lunge work, thanks..Taking a day off in between sounds like a great plan too. I do put PN on a longer lead line a couple times a day and take them both for grazing walks. She is better and now lets "baby" run off and be silly where as before she would go balistic if she was 2 feet away. Baby has visited sneeker and hollly over the fence and PN is getting a little more relaxed each time. The babies are so different in size but so much alike in color. Sneeker has been enjoying his newly dicovered hobby which is piggy back riding holly LOL..such characters!

We don't believe you unless you have pics to prove it
default_whistling.gif

How much is too much mineral block. Un named loves to lick mineral block...will lick for 15 min straight unless I pick it up. She hasn't gotten to much bigger but is really filling out and no longer a frail looking, wind will take her bye bye, little filly that she was a week ago. She has her own little food dish,tries to eat hay and grass, drinks from mom plenty and occasionally plays in the water bucket. All normal except for the mineral block addiction.

Sneeker is completely a different character.....hes so bonded with people and prefers us to Holly...hes such a terror..bite, want scratchies, charge and head butt...just all boy. He is the one that would be a handful if not gelded...much unlike Cam who was always pretty laid back. Don't get me wrong I love sneekers personality...he's awesome!! The 2 have only met thru the fence but we plan on haltering both moms today and take them for a stroll around the yards and see the interaction between them. The size difference is a little disturbing and the fact that he is so rough...just not sure if she could handle him for any length of time...who knows..maybe he will end up being the sissy one once he gets with her LOL. As long as both moms are o.k maybe supervised outtings together for an hour, couple times a day would be fine.

Lots of chores to do today but will try to get a couple pictures of them side by side so you can see.

Any way...what do you suggest about the mineral block...want to add....both have really come up nice on pasterns...farrier will be out next week to do the others so I'll wait till then for a little file on toes.

thanks for you suggestions

BTW Diane...do we get to see pictures of the family rental this year...you always pick some pretty relaxing spots!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much salt or mineral block can cause the runs in foals (I know for sure salt can, not 100% certain on mineral blocks). I don't know what constitutes too much. What kind of mineral block? Is it like Purina's 12:12 block? (likely that would be ok) But, if its a mostly salt block with minerals added, then that would likely cause the runs. Hopefully someone else has a better answer for you.

I'm with you Chanda. If it's Purina's 12:12 -- it's probably okay and will feed the cravings and keep her from nibbling things she shouldn't. But if its just a mineral salt lick -- I think I'd limit it's time in the pasture if she's out all the time.

Welcome back stranger
default_saludando.gif
I would remove it or put it up high for a while as too much could upset her little tummy. I wouldn't worry about her being smaller than Sneeker, I am betting she will kick butt when and if needed. Boys can be over powering but the girls know how to keep them in line
default_yes.gif

renee, that's what Im thinking....someone will keep sneeker in line!!

Thanks for your help...it is the purina 12 12....she doesn't seem to mess with the plain white one.

I have been a bit of a stranger the last week, I was busy cleaning up the snack bars ( closed them for the season end of april )but w/surprise foals I hadn't been down there to do the main cleaning...yuck...all finished now so Im just on horse duty till Oct. with just a few catering events thrown it to pay some bills.

I have new pics from Heidi but for some strange reason Lil B is not letting me upload
default_sad.png
I will try again soon.

Still not working but I think it might be my darn computer as it did some weird update last night
default_thud.gif
Anyway I have uploaded them via photobucket.

Here we have Heidi's babies
default_smile.png
First we have Sneeker and Noname, we really need to help Heidi find a name for this little Princess
default_yes.gif

then we have Noname

then we have Cam

Cam has really grown up and is a really funky colour, he looks almost buckskin
default_thumbup.gif

Beautiful babies -- all 3!!

Looks like Cam is going to grey out like Peanut -- and wind up a "flea-bit" grey, which are so beautiful in the Arabian world (and miniature world too!!)

Thank you Renee for posting these for me. I must say, I am rather smitten with all three. All of them are so different.

Diane, you really think Cam may gray out? gosh I hope not...I don't love love his color but I prefer it over gray!! I do like his tippy little ears and conformation wise he's good...nothing that really stands out as major faults and I think he would be fine showing in just small shows but Ive always thought that solid plain color horses better be pretty darn perfect and flashy in the bigger show rings in order to catch the judges eye...I know if I were a judge I'd be looking at spots and color patterns ...maybe not the right thing but that's me!

I cant remember if I asked you , but has anyone ever had a mare that is just really mean to another foal...have you ever heard of one actually kick at or bite another youngster...this is about our darling PNut...she gets made when Sneeker even comes to the fence w/o holly....ears back, mouth open, turns her behind. Im petrified putting them together. Walks are so so, as long as the brave Sneeker doesn't get to close to PNut or no name.

Yeah my mare Odette was top dog and didn't allow any one near her babies at first. Last year I had to keep her separate for nearly a month cos Britt's foal was older and over friendly ( plus he was stupid. Lol) he just kept trying to play with Arthur (Odette's foal) and she would bite and kick him. Just introduce them slowly, hold Peanut on a lead for a bit each day so the babies can play and she will come round.

Thanks Renee..Odette sounds very much like PNut...another week on the lead line will just have to be the way it is and play it by ear after that. Im constantly having to switch pastures, open and lock gates in order to give everyone grass and play time in the bigger pastures. It would be so much easier if they would all just be friends!!!

Oh the babies are looking fabulous Heidi - you really must give poor Noname a proper name, even a pet one will do!
default_yes.gif

But that Cam is just gorgeous, such a handsome fella bless him. Would love to see a few more pics of him sometime soon.
default_thumbup.gif

Sorry Diane, but I dont see him changing colour - what colour was his sire Heidi (can't remember!)?

Still not working but I think it might be my darn computer as it did some weird update last night
default_thud.gif
Anyway I have uploaded them via photobucket.

Here we have Heidi's babies
default_smile.png
First we have Sneeker and Noname, we really need to help Heidi find a name for this little Princess
default_yes.gif

then we have Noname

I was cruising the pictures and when I came across the pics of miss noname and "Scarlet" popped into my head.

Yes, that's nick...hes a true black but no one ever told his mane and forelock LOL...I need to get the black dye out I suppose!. I hope your right Anna, I don't want Cam to gray out...he is looking good IMO and hes just a good kid too!! Always happy and sort of a go with the flow kinda horse!! I think nick gave him some nice genes!!

Im really liking Scarlet..easy to say......I think you nailed it...everyone meet Scarlet!!! Thank you!!!

I was looking at this picture of him, and thinking maybe he's greying because of the muzzle being so grey looking with such strange loss of the bay color, and it looks like the start of grey around his eyes. But it could just be Pangare ( the modifier that acts by lightening certain portions of a horse's coat, usually the muzzle, the belly, the inner forearms and thighs, and sometimes even the chest or around the eyes). When it acts on a chestnut coat, the horse usually will have a flaxen mane and tail. It can act on any color, and varies in intensity. But because I didn't see his mane/tail looking like they are going flaxen, I was thinking maybe he is greying very slowly.

He's gorgeous no matter what!!

Cam.jpg

I see where you are coming from Diane - never really noticed his muzzle and his eyes, just looking at his gorgeous little head!! Here in the UK our Exmoor ponies are usually bay but all have that colour round their muzzles/eyes, we say they have 'mealy' muzzles as they look as though they have just pulled their faces out of the oatmeal sack!!

Latest posts

Back