Header in A Driving Class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it is an Amateur or Open class, yes.

If it is a Youth class, no.

Part 12, Driving Division, Paragraph K (Safety) 5. (page 255) states:

Headers (must be 16 years old or older) are requied in all youth driving classes. Headers are to enter the ring when the line-up is called, may assist in setting up the animal and then step back two paces where they are to remain, except in an emergency, until the Judge's card is turned in. Note: Judges are cautioned that this rule in no way negates the requirement in youth classes that animals must display good manners, stand quietly in the line-up and back readily in Pleasure and Country Pleasure classes. Headers are optional in all other non-youth classes.

Headers must be 16 or older in any class. They are REQUIRED in youth classes - every youth driver must have a header in line-up. Headers are optional for all other amateur and open classes, but the headers must be 16 or older.

Okay, sorry, my mistake. For some reason, I thought headers had to be 12 and over, but they actually have to be at least 13. Guess this is my reminder to re-read my rule book
default_smile.png

CL-030 DRIVING CLASS GENERAL RULES

H. 4. Headers: A header is an appropriately attired (show

attire or unlettered smockwith suitable footwear) capable

person 13 years of age or over. This attendant shall

take NO action that will affect the performance of any

Miniature Horse. Only one header is allowed per

horse. The header must not have a whip and shall

remain at least two (2) paces distant from the head of

the horse when the judge is inspecting the horse, and

at all other times unless assistance in controlling the

horse is needed.Adult (19 years of age or older) headers

are mandatory for all youth drivers and optional

for all other drivers.

Thanks. I guess I could have read the rule book. It is sitting on my desk. Thanks for your help.

Where did you see that headers only need to be 13? AMHA or AMHR? For AMHR, On page 255, the rules state that headers must be 16 or older.

Back