Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debjs

Reaction score
Hi, Could anybody explain to me, the difference between 1st and 2nd cut hay? Is it o.k. to feed mini's 1st cut? That seems to be all I can find right now, I am getting my mini's this weekend and need to buy some hay quick. Thanks

1st cut is the least desirable as its stemmier then cuts later. Most horse people dont buy 1st cut unless they have to. I will say though our 1st cut in Ohio was beautiful so I went ahead and bought some. But 1st cut should be cheaper. 2nd 3rd and if they get a 4th cut are the best and usually higher priced

It all depends on the type of hay, rye, grass, alfalfa etc...I dont buy 2nd cutting as its too rich for my horses, I prefer to feed more hay for roughage then to feed less high rich stuff that could make them sick. If you question at all how to feed hay or quality find someone who knows more to look at your source and then what appropriate amount.

Where is Mass can you FIND first cutting hay this year? It has rained in CT 24 out of the last 25 days and there IS NO first cut. I would want to make sure that it didn't get rained on - ask them exactly when it was cut.

I am feeding some first cutting hay now (from last year). The coarser hay goes to my big horse and the finer, better hay goes to the minis. Some looks a lot like the second cut hay I feed to the mare and foal! One of our minis is insulin resistent and she has been eating some first cutting hay from last year that was tested and is low in sugar and starch. It is also fairly fine, but not as fine as second cutting hay. So it really all depends on the particular batch of hay and what your needs are.

I am feeding some hay a guy saved for me from last years cuttings. This year good first cutting hay is still scarse because of all the rain. Anybody else feed Teff hay? It seems fine and not overly rich and my guys seem to do good on it. I have geldings and they are on a dry lot.

We only feed "first cut" timothy/alfalfa.

Second cut is too tough for our guys and they just waste it.

I guess it depends where you live and weather conditions for growing.

Here we almost always feed 1st cut hay. If we want grass hay then it has to be first cut; in this area 2nd cut is alfalfa or mostly alfalfa--the grass hay fields don't give a second cut unless it's irrigated. One year we were buying 2nd cut irrigated timothy, but that is not the normal thing--in fact the fellow who was selling that plowed the timothy under and planted alfalfa in its place. Sometimes we don't even get a 2nd cut of hay, and never a 3rd or 4th cut.

Our first cut hay is usually very nice; it can be too coarse, depending on the field/year/type of hay but as a rule the 1st cut that we buy is good quality--quite fine, grassy (some with, some without alfalfa) and weed free. Can't comment on the hay available in MA of course!

Where is Mass can you FIND first cutting hay this year? It has rained in CT 24 out of the last 25 days and there IS NO first cut. I would want to make sure that it didn't get rained on - ask them exactly when it was cut.
I am feeding some first cutting hay now (from last year). The coarser hay goes to my big horse and the finer, better hay goes to the minis. Some looks a lot like the second cut hay I feed to the mare and foal! One of our minis is insulin resistent and she has been eating some first cutting hay from last year that was tested and is low in sugar and starch. It is also fairly fine, but not as fine as second cutting hay. So it really all depends on the particular batch of hay and what your needs are.
Hanson farm in Bridgewater was getting a trailer of first cut in today. Going to see how it is.

Latest posts

Back