hay prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernmi

Reaction score
Just curious, what are you paying for a bale of hay in your area? I know this has been asked before but I havent had much time this summer to be on here to read.

Well in NW Oregon we are paying $2.50/bale grass hay from the field, or $3.50/bale we can have it delivered to our barn. Some of us were lucky enough to get some hay that was cut in May and is just like

the horses eating grass. It cost more but it was well worth the price. I have that and now I will add some

of the more recent cut hay to mix with it in the future. My hay supplier is just great and he is a dear old

farmer in our area.

I just paid $2.00/bale for some mixed grass hay. We usually put up our own, but we are short on hay this year for the cows, so I bought some small squares for the minis. I still need more, but it's a start.

We changed over to the big round bales last year and love it! I don't put them out for a free for all, but peel off what I need and feed it to them. We get them for $25.00 a bale and their equivalent to 22 - 24 square bales in each. I had my husband attach a rope to an old plastic swimming pool and I just fill it up and pull it around to the different pens and just pitch fork out however much is needed. Works great! Storage is alot easier too. We have enough room to keep four inside then the others actually store very well outside. Just peel off the outer layer and they're good to go. :aktion033:

We changed over to the big round bales last year and love it! I don't put them out for a free for all, but peel off what I need and feed it to them. We get them for $25.00 a bale and their equivalent to 22 - 24 square bales in each. I had my husband attach a rope to an old plastic swimming pool and I just fill it up and pull it around to the different pens and just pitch fork out however much is needed. Works great! Storage is alot easier too. We have enough room to keep four inside then the others actually store very well outside. Just peel off the outer layer and they're good to go. :aktion033:

I've been feeding the minis from round bales, and personally I'm glad to be going back to small squares for the minis. It's too windy here to be forking hay over the fence to the minis and it's more difficult for me to judge how much they are getting. I have one I have to watch her diet to keep her healthy and the others pork up too easily on too much.

If I have problems getting enough small squares, there are always round bales here on the place for the cows, and we just drop the outer layer or two off in the cow corral and take a clean bale core up to the mini pen; but I still much prefer the feeding ease of small squares.

Timothy...$22.50 and Alfalfa...14.00 A BALE!!!!

We buy it by the ton. Right now it's running $120 per ton, which breaks down to $3 or $4 per bale, depending on the weight of the bale. Everyone is expecting another shortage like last winter -- when we were paying about $200 a ton! :new_shocked:

MA

holy cow! you guys get cheap hay! lucky! well, clpclop may maybe isn't, but i still win on most expensive hay! here in California timothy/orchard is 21.00. straight timothy is 24.00. ACK! Alfalfa is like 16.00. i so envy those of you who pay two bucks a bale!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up 40 bales in the field Friday for $5 per bale. If I stop at the feed store its $6.50 per bale. This is very good quality coastal hay. Still need to put up 100 more bales but just dont have the room to store it. We're located in East Texas known as the dust bowl. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
We just had hay delivered this morning at $3.90 bale (coastal bermuda) including delivery mileage and to have them help unload it. I felt VERY blessed to have it-it's so dry here in South Carolina that there may not be many cuttings this summer.

Over here in Ireland we pay 20 euro for a round bale of hay. And a square bale costs 3 euro.

Here in south central Montana we are paying $80.00 a ton for grass hay if we pick it up in the field. They are about 80 lb bales. Keeps getting higher and higher.

We've had very little rain were I livein Colorado. Since January, we've had less tjan 1/2 inch of moisture total and we've already had record number of days over 90 degrees. I need to buy hay this year since my pasture is not irrigated and it never even grew this spring. I went to a hay auction a few weeks back and prairie grass hay (not the good stuff like timothy or orchard) was going for about $7 per 40 lb bale. OUch- its going to be a bad year for hay!

In Maine we pay $2.50 delivered per bale.

We've had so much dang rain here that we expect a hay shortage. I hope it doesn't go too high.

Here in Northern Wi we pay $14 for a 600-700lb round bale of mostly grass hay, very nice hay and $1.25lbs for 40-50lb bales of the same stuff.

I jut had 100 bales delivered yesterday (Bermuda) for $3.50 a bale. There was a person to help unload it. I need a lot more than that, but can only afford to split up my purchases. I plan on getting a few round bales for the winter if I can find a place to store them out of the weather. I put round bales out with my big horses last year (3 horses in the field) and they ate it down in about 10/12 days. Way to expensive to do that. This year I will fork it out to them. I usually start giving hay to the big guys the end of November. Minis get hay year round since I have fescue grass.

Southern N.J.......we're getting ours for $6.00 to $7.00 a bale...and then depending if you want first cut it can go as low as $3.50 a bale. This is Timothy mix.

We have our own but i see in the paper it is averaging $2.25 for alfalfa and $2.00 for timothy/grass mix. Small squares of course.

Latest posts

Back