hay prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I live in the wrong state! Just paid $5 a bale for grass hay that doesnt look particularly pretty. Very sun bleached on the outside. $9.50 for a bale of really pretty alfalfa! I've been getting really good round bales for $35. But my hay guy said he will be going up. Darn!

Viki

We have ordered some at $2.50 a bale of Tiffton 44. It should be cut in a couple of weeks. I hope it makes to my barn. It is from NW AR.

We just paid $3.50 a bale last weekend for 50 bales. It was already in the barn (we usually get it out of the field) and looks really good. We had never bought from this lady and she was within 1 1/2 of our house! She is going to check to see if she can sell us 50 more after she sees how much she has left. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Orchard grass hay is running 18.95 to 20.00 a small bale, that does not include delivery. Finding it plain with no alfalfa in it is impossible right now, as least at the places I deal with.

My Mini's refuse to eat the local grass hay,, though it would be much cheaper. Am in NW Oregon.

I I put round bales out with my big horses last year (3 horses in the field) and they ate it down in about 10/12 days.
Wow, how big were those round bales? We put out round bales in a feeder for 5 full-size horses, and a bale usually lasts them 10 days, sometimes a little longer depending on the weather and the quality of the bale. [Our bales are about 1100 pounds. They seem to waste less with the feeder.]

I just picked up a load of hay today that may be my last to buy here before I move. It was more expensive than last year because they didn't get as much this year but it is really nice grass hay. I payed $90 for a ton and they are light-weight bales so I think it works out to about $2.40 a bale.

In Florida east coast timothy is $17.65 bale, dry string hay and costal grass hay $5.50 bale which was brown and dry until this month it was a little green looking. I don't say much because we had such fires and no rain so we are glad to get anything that they can eat safely.

In southeast Oklahoma I just bought round bales of mostly coastal bermuda for $30/round bale. Bought from a friend and didn't ask questions. Was talking to another friend who said all he knew were selling for twice as much. I guess it pays to have friends.

I get hay from my uncle for $3.00 a bale now, keeps going up.

Just picked up a load 2.00 a bale 1/2 mile down the road from me. First cutting grass/alfalfa the bales average about 50-55#, he sells the second cutting for the same price, that's what I fill my barn with. From a REALLY nice old farmer.

He told me last night. "Yep I should be asking more, but my buyers are trying to make ends meet too!" We talked about ethenol, calves, the best beef cattle.... he dreams of owning an Angus bull someday, and how the hay season was going. He's a GREAT hay supplier and a really good conversationist.

Latest posts

Back