hay prices are up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered 5 ton of orchard grass from our neighbor at $225 per ton with 18 bales per ton = 12.50 per bale. With fuel cost going up I got off cheepfor here.

Those are HEAVY suckers, Bill!

We may have to find out your source for a ton to get us into some of our own.
default_smile.png

I just had to post to make you all feel so much better about your hay prices. In my area we're looking at $24.00-$28.85 per bale of Timothy hay without delivery! The bales weigh about 110#. The hay that's $28.85 is super low-sugar (4.1% NSC) that would be excellent for my insulin resistant/Cushing's pony.

Now that you all feel better I'm going to go cry in my beer!
default_crybaby.gif

(P.S.-I just saw gas at $4.67-$4.81 per gallon; diesel is at $5.15. I think I might just start riding my horse to work.
default_xreiter.gif
)

Oh yay! My new hay prices as of today are $3.35 for orchard grass and $4.25 for alfalfa !!!

YAY!

You know how much I would KILL for $3 a bale?

THREE DOLLARS???

Around here Timothy costs (no joke...) $27 per bale. :DOH!

*flops and wilts*

alfalfa's not hit 20 yet i dont think. it's moments like these where I seriously wanna get outta here.

I just got a quote from the people I got my minis from-$4.00 a bale Timothy mix with orchard grass, and being she's my friend, she'll DELIVER a truckload!!!!! That way she can visit with the horses. These are NOT the huge bales that you need a forklift to move, they weigh about 30-40 pounds. The hay I was getting at the feed mill had lots of corn husks and ROCKS!

I am with you completely! I just bought a bale of OAT hay and it was $14!!!! GEEZE I am SO happy that I have a lush green pasture right now. I can't wait till the winter when I have to feed all of them hay
default_unsure.png
I better start stalking up like the rest of you!

THREE DOLLARS???

*flops and wilts*

alfalfa's not hit 20 yet i dont think. it's moments like these where I seriously wanna get outta here.

THREE DOLLARS???

*flops and wilts*

I hear you Alex! There's so much I love about Southern California but there are a few drawbacks. Hay prices and cost of property (and traffic). However. when I watch the news and see all the horrific weather in other parts of the country, I am glad I'm here. I guess the $28.85 for the super low-sugar hay isn't sounding so bad now.
default_wacko.png

Rebecca

(P.S.-I have a Ghost and a Princess, too!
default_yes.gif
)

We just paid $4 a bale for good quality coastal hay here in the field, alfalfa is $12.50 (feed store prices). Most of the coastal is $5-6 here, but if we don't get more rain it will sure go up. It's at least nice hay - we haven't had good hay in a couple of years - first no rain, then too much rain, now it's dry again this year.

Jan

I just got my hay for $3.00 a small bale. The guy brought it to us and him and my husband unloaded into our hay storage.

Last year I paid this same guy $1.50 a small bale and my husband went to the field and helped load with him...

I think I am happy with my prices even though they went up this year, I expected that...

Marty-

That price for alfalfa sounds great! Wish I was already living in TN.

I was at the show in Ocala this past weekend and while I still had my trailer hooked up on Thursday went down the road to get some alfalfa as Ocala is horse country and prices are better. I paid $13.13 for 60-70 lb bales of nice alfalfa - bought 8 bales as that was all they had, but that beats the $17.00 I pay here and will hold me a while as I'm only feeding 4 (and a month old filly).

Barbie

I truly can't imagine how some of you afford those prices - good day jobs I guess!
default_smile.png
I think of people that have a lot of "bigs" and wonder how in the world THEY do it!

It's getting SCARY!

We just bought our hay last weekend and we paid $4.50 a bale (up from $3.50 last year). Our bales are usually orchard grass, but this year they have about 5% alfalfa in them. Our hay guy has private fields at the end of a back road, so there's NEVER anything odd in them (except a possible golf ball... we still don't know where that came from!) and we've never lost a bale to mold. He guarantees his hay. If anything is wrong, we can bring it back. All he does is hay, but he said its getting too expensive and he may not do it next year. He said fertilizer prices went WAY up this year. Its scary, but since we only have 2 minis, we try to save a little each month so we are ready to get a year's worth at the start of each Summer. That way, its not a huge budget smasher. We also had to pay 2 helpers this year because my husband had major back surgery and can't lift over 40 pounds. The bales are 50-70 pounds each so I can't lift them either. That added $75 to our bill that we didn't expect, but I suppose I can't complain with prices some of you are paying!
default_no.gif

We had to find a new hay person. Have just been buying from the

feed store since moving here, last summer.

This fellow will have certified weed free orchard grass for $7 for 60# bales.

Hay, this winter, from the feed store was going for $17 a bale for 90# bales

I like the idea of the smaller bales, they'll be easier to move around.....

Now we just have to wait for the weather that will allow them to cut and bale...

Not been a good growing year around here.

I am amazed at the low prices some of you folks pay for hay.......in my 30+ years

of owning horses I do not ever remember paying $2, $3 $4 a bale for hay...

Although in a few bad years back in the 80's I remember $20 a bale hay....

Latest posts

Back