Hows haying going around you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Kansas right now market price for large round brome bales of good quality is $80-$100 per ton (so 1500lb bale would be $60-75 each) -- for good brome small squares is $110-130 ($4.13-$4.88 per 75lb bale). Horse quality alfalfa is $9 for small square or $250 per ton on a round bale. These prices are per the Grass and Grain this week. I have heard of alot of people paying alot more than what is listed though.. And have seen multiple advertisements online for brome square bales that are $7-$8 each... I do not know if they are selling but I would assume that they are as people don't want to be caught without hay in the middle of the year...

That's how it was around here in Oklahoma last year. Thank goodness we had rain this spring so we bought all our hay early! Last year we hunted and hunted and had some brome shipped from Nebraska! Good luck to everyone on their hay hunt.

This looks to be another bad year for hay. We bought 1st cutting grass mix from a very reliable small hay business. They sell by weight, not by the bale. That way we are paying per bale weight and if it weighs 35#s we pay for that and if it weighs 42#'s we pay for that, etc. We bought more than we had planned on; but are glad we did now with the way it is looking for more cuttings. It is so dry here. We need rain (like other places) and are beginning to feed horses hay who were originally on pasture. Hope everyone makes out OK.

Well as of last weekend my barn now has 80 bales of alfalfa, 165 bales of bluestem and have on order with the last alfalfa cut in Sept another 100 bales--msut get past grasshopper season. My hay guy also have about 200 round bales of bluestem and he said he would hold me 22-25 of those at $40/bale for extra heavy bales (1400 lbs). So looks like I'm set. One of my other hay guys is on vacation right now and he said he would have 100 bales for me if I wanted it when he gets back into the fields.

Last year got caught extremely short and my horses paid for it--not happening again this year and I plan to cut the herd down by 8-10 horses before winter sets in.

We need moisture bad here. They hay guys are saying their fields are starting to so signs of distress. That is not a good sign and this week our temperatures have gone from high 80's to 104 yesterday and it is supposed to be 105 today.

I do not buy hay because I board. However, there is a farm that grew pumpkins forever. Today I drove past and it is in hay. All baled up and ready to go. They water those fields so the hay should be pretty good.

Put up my hay for winter last night, 60-70#, two twine, square alfalfa "ice cream" for $5.00 a bale. Next cutting he will be getting at least $6.00, said hay fields are really dry and in need of some rain. I could have just sat in the barn smelling hay today...lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will be cutting and baling this week in our pasture and I will have to buy back some. I also put in an order for Prarie with the neighbor for prairie hay squares delivered for 4.50 bale. So should be set for the year.

The cost of hay and pretty much everything, is why my daughter no longer breeds and has cut down her horses to only a couple. Anyone paying less than about $17 an 80lb bale, we are in envy of. And it's been so priced for several years now, here in S. Cal.

Lizzie

Northern Nevada - I can get meadow grass hay which is a mix of timothy, fescue and another grass Hubby can't remember grass for $7 a bale this year, the farmer is supposed to call us next week. She says her horses love it.

We have to drive about 60 miles to get it and it is two twine bales so maybe 70 punds.

Alfalfa and orchard grass are about $200 a ton but it looks like the price is going down a little. I paid $17.50 for three twine bales of orchard grass and three twine alfalfa is $16.50 at the feed store since I am running low on goat hay and I just got the mini so I haven't stocked up yet. I can't seem to get timothy grass for my little mini so he has been getting the orchard grass. He keeps pulling it all out of the feeder and looking for the good stuff he thinks must be in there somewhere. He definitely liked the timothy hay better.

Prices her have been $10+ for over a year now because Texas has been buying most of wyoming and colorados hay. I'm scared to see what it will be this year sense we are all in drout out here.

LOL they have been sending Texas their hay because they are able to jack up the prices to $20 and we have no choice but to pay it... So far this year it is not as bad but I think it will be again later in the year. Oh and Alfalfa is $32 per bale...

Well we just cut and baled a small part. Honestly it's thin. On a field that usually gives us a hair under 300 we got 187 bales. Not so good.Total I need 600 and usually have no problem getting that for the year. But this year were guessing 450ish. Praying for a second cutting so we can fill the barn.

Off the field that I normally get mid 30's of large rounds I only got 22 this year. I'm looking now for more hay too! I will need 5 more rounds or 70 Squares. We don't normally get a second cut here but I'm hoping to this year.

Latest posts

Back